Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 19 September 2010 CE

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 19 September 2010 CE
Sep 19, 2010, 12:26
I haven't posted in one of these threads in a few weeks. I'll try my best to remember everything I've played in the interim.

Kemialliset Ystavat - Ullakopallo

Tuluum Shimmering - The Flowers Are Offered C94

Tuluum Shimmering - Flowers of The Honey Tree C19

Tuluum Shimmering - River Gods Strike Tuned Bronze Flowers cdr

Silver Bullets - Free Radical C48

Super Minerals - Clusters C47

Roped Off - Blows Glass In Space / Discovers A New Angle C40

Dire Wolves - Jams & The Giant Peace C36

Motion Sickness of Time Travel - Seeping Through The Veil Of Unconsciousness C60

MellowHype - Yellow/White

Peter Delaney - Live in Amsterdam cdr

Sun Ra - Jazz In Silhouette

Sun Ra - Lanquidity

Outkast - ATLiens

The Roots - Things Fall Apart

Mark McGuire - Living With Yourself

Jandek - On The Way

Jandek - The Living End

Jandek - Somebody In The Snow

Noah Howard - The Black Ark (RIP)

Joe Mc Phee - Nation Time

Sean Mc Cann - Phylum Sigh

Sean McCann - Fountains C92

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

Kenny Dorham - Uno Mas

Os Novos Baianos - Acabou Chorare

Chico Buarque - Construcao

Sparks - Kimono My House

Double Leopards - Halve Maen 2xcd

Thoughts on Air - Mallow Yallo C90

Earl - Earl

Tristan Perich - 1-Bit Symphony

Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh

Durutti Column - LC

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day

Famous Boating Party - Silvery Branches

Neil Young - Weld

Boys of Summer - Future Ancients cdr

Richard Youngs - Beyond the Valley of Ultrahits

Phew :)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 19, 2010, 19:17
JONIquest continues: acquired in the last week "For The Roses" ($1), "Hejira" ($1) and "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns" (whoppin' $3.60) -- liking her gradual transition from "folk" to "jazz" over the 1971-75 LP's, but still searching for the hardcore jazzers "Don Juan" and "Mingus" (also need "Clouds" to complete the set.)

Prince "Controversy" -- also picked this one up at the same time, and synchronistically there's "*JONI*" printed on the back cover (Prince is a big Mitchell fan.) I had forgotten how stunning & weird "Annie Christian" is -- vocals are sorta post-punk/rap shouty (which is 180 degrees away from his girly crooning on tracks like "Sexuality"), and the music sounds like a funky 80's version of "Axis Bold As Love" or something. Easy to forget how awesome this guy was!

Enoch Light "Permissive Polyphonics" - sitars, moog, electrified sax (think Mothers of Invention and Soft Machine.) Definitely some of the groovier "easy listening".

El Chicano "El Chicano" -- part of the latin rock wave of the early 70's. Sound like "Santana lite." Hit single was "Tell Her She's Lovely."

Flower Travellin' Band "Anywhere" & "Satori" & bits of "Make Up"
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 19, 2010, 20:22
Dog 3000 wrote:
JONIquest continues: acquired in the last week "For The Roses" ($1), "Hejira" ($1) and "The Hissing Of Summer Lawns" (whoppin' $3.60) -- liking her gradual transition from "folk" to "jazz" over the 1971-75 LP's, but still searching for the hardcore jazzers "Don Juan" and "Mingus" (also need "Clouds" to complete the set.)

Prince "Controversy" -- also picked this one up at the same time, and synchronistically there's "*JONI*" printed on the back cover (Prince is a big Mitchell fan.) I had forgotten how stunning & weird "Annie Christian" is -- vocals are sorta post-punk/rap shouty (which is 180 degrees away from his girly crooning on tracks like "Sexuality"), and the music sounds like a funky 80's version of "Axis Bold As Love" or something. Easy to forget how awesome this guy was!

Enoch Light "Permissive Polyphonics" - sitars, moog, electrified sax (think Mothers of Invention and Soft Machine.) Definitely some of the groovier "easy listening".

El Chicano "El Chicano" -- part of the latin rock wave of the early 70's. Sound like "Santana lite." Hit single was "Tell Her She's Lovely."

Flower Travellin' Band "Anywhere" & "Satori" & bits of "Make Up"

Hmm, I'll have to check out Enoch Light in the future, then...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 19, 2010, 20:57
mingtp wrote:

Black Tempest - Proxima (Hail Squid!)

Radio Podcasts

Dog 3000 - kosmikradiation2010.09.10
Dog 3000 - kosmikradiation2010.09.17
(Am hooked on these now Dog - you now have another regular listener)

Thanks Ming!

I'm also hooked on Kosmik Radiation, it has become the regular soundtrack to my commute.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 20, 2010, 07:41
Sep 19, 2010, 21:30
Judee Sill - Heart Food
The Birthday Party - Prayers on Fire
The Pop Group - For How Much Longer do We Tolerate Mass Murder
The Beckies - s/t
Blue Cheer - Outside Inside
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
Various - Deutsche Elektronische Muzik
Alan Hawkshaw - Mohawk (Essential Vibes and Grooves 1967-75)

...just like the last two decades never happened, in fact. Then again, maybe they didn't.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Sep 19, 2010, 21:44
O Children- S/T.

Seeland- How To Live.

Moon Duo- Escape.

Antonio Trinchera- Voce Falena.

V/A- The Outer Circle.

David Axelrod- Songs of Innocence.

Magic Lantern- Platoon.

Citay- Dream Get Together.

Roky Erickson and Okkervill River- True Love Cast out All Evil.

Tiger- We Are All Puppets.

Mazzy Star- She Hangs Brightly.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Sep 19, 2010, 22:12
Serpentina Satelie - Mecanica Celeste
Fab. Really great swirly riffy psychedelic rock of the top drawer.

Belbury Poly/Mordant Music - Welcome to Godalming
How could I resist a title that "celebrates" the home of Tempest Towers?!

Focus - Focus 9
This is pretty good on the whole, if a bit too long. In fact I reckon the last few tracks could easily have been ommitted. However, it is worth it for Aya-Yuppie-Hipie-Yee, which is genius!

Double Leopards - Halve Maen
Love this to bits. Really really good.

High Wolf - Shangri L.A.
Top top album. What a great year it has been for new records. I can't remember the last time when my purchases of new stuff outnumbered the oldies!

Plus my now usual fix of Kosmik Radiation radio of course!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Sep 20, 2010, 13:55
Sep 19, 2010, 22:17
Had disc 2 of Davy Graham A Gentleman & A Scholar on my 3 changer for about a week plus. Knocked out by 2nd track The Fakir. Credits say Lalo Schifrin so I wonder if it's a s/trk number or from his earlier jazz work.
Also the Watermelon Man on there's pretty tasty.
Do wonder if any of DG's tracks have been used much for samples. Keep hearing bits that are very noticeable, so assume others must have.

crazy world Of arthur Brown
Sounds great with recent remaster. always have loved bits of this lp.
Vincent Crane is great throughout a lot of this.

rahsaan roland Kirk Volunteered Slavery
what to say? this connects on a few numbers. Spirit Up Above which Osibisa covered is great as is title track. Rest of it too

Cluster II
Deep space grooves as with the rest of the best of Krautrock.
Can sound almost interstellar, or heart of black hole.
Just remembering picking up a hitchiker in girlfriend's car with this on stereo & needing to take off so's not to freak him.

Einstuerzende Neubauten 5 Auf Der richterskala
Some of their more sweeping atmospheric material on side 2. Faster stuff on the middle of side one. Ich Bins has been a fav since release.

Grateful Dead various. Tradersden have been featuring upped tours and years so April '71, Europe '72 and various '67 have appeared so increased my lossless collection of them.

Bert Jansch Dazzling Stranger
This is the US version so tracklisting is somewhat different. Still pretty masterful nonetheless.

amon Duul II live '69
long impros featured, starting track being 1/2 hr mesmerising repetitive groove. Also shorter stuff including material from Phallus Dei.

Sony & Linda Sharrock Paradise
Sonny skronks avantly & Linda warbles.Both in style reminiscent of their most out moments like Monkey Pockey Boo or Black woman, but here coupled with more space funk backing. Keep thinking of this as somewhat adjunct to sun Ra's Lanquidity but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

silberbart 4 Times sound raising
gets into pretty dark epic stuff after initial hardrocking Chub Chub Cherry + even that has more introspective moments.

video
mostly Weeds series 1-4. Just having trouble burning disc with start series 5 on.

will probably return and expand this list later

Stevo
keith a
9576 posts

Sep 19, 2010, 23:23
LP’s
DISAPORA – Natacha Atlas
Great to hear this early Natacha Atlas LP from the mid-90’s again. It’s sure to appeal to anyone who liked the Transgobal Underground records of that era seeing as their stamp is pretty much all over it, topped by NA’s incredible tonsils. Duden is almost impossibly beautiful; which might seem an odd think to say when the beats play such a big part, but it is.

ZINC ALLOY – Marc Bolan & T.Rex
Had to play some Bolan on the 30th anniversary of his death and so chose this, along with a few singles. The way the female singers answer Bolan’s “You’re so full of interstellar soul” chorus with shouts of “Bullshit, bullshit” is genius!

COINCIDENCE – Joe Crow
Former Nightingale’s 2007 release sounds at times like little more than a basic demo with guitars and drum, machine but I like it all the same. Features an interesting cover of I Walk The Line and great takes on The Prefects Going Through The Motions and The Nightingales Idiot Strength (which he co-wrote). The latter is particularly good – it was hard to imagine it as a gentle acoustic number but it works brilliantly.

MACHINE GUN ETIQUETTE – The Damned
Hasn’t Plan 9 Channel 7 got a great intro? Kinda stops you in your tracks...

HEAD FIRST – Goldfrapp
The most poppy Goldfrapp LP to my ears. Very enjoyable on early plays though.

GRINDERMAN 2 – Grinderman
Wow! This is sounding great after a couple of listens.

HALLOGALLO – Michael Rother & Friends
A big thank you to AQK for the link to this. It sounds better everytime I hear it!

ALSO...

ROCK’N’ROLL WITH THE MODERN LOVERS – The Modern Lovers

VERY FLASH VERY RUDE (LIVE WINTERLAND 1973) – Mott The Hoople

ROCKET TO RUSSIA – The Ramones

THE SKY ABOVE THE ROOF - Solus 3

GOOD TIMES, BAD TIMES – V/A

VOL 2- Wooden Shjips

COLOSSAL YOUTH – Young Marble Giants
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 19, 2010, 23:39
keith a wrote:
DISAPORA – Natacha Atlas

Classic stuff! I was only thinking about digging this out t'other day after hearing a snippet of some TGU on something.

I remember that album very fondly.

Now if somebody just posts that they've been listening to Duniya by Loop Guru this week, the time circle paradox will be complete and the chosen one will arise :)
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index