IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 19 September 2010 CE
Sep 20, 2010, 16:45
machineryelf wrote:
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Fotheringay - for some reason I always thought the Fotheringay album was somehow flawed but it's a perfect little gem, albeit the CD has the 'bonus' of an English folk band attempting to RnR badly on Memphis Tennessee.

Love this album. It's her most June Tabor-esque record I think in that it is still a Folk Rock record but with the accent on the piano and primarly acoustic guitars rather than the raw edged electrics and fiddle of the Fairports. On the other side it is also not an MOR album like some of the solo records. Add "Late November" from the El Pea sampler to "Fotheringay" and lose "Ned Kelly" and you've nigh on the perfect Rock-Folk album. I love how muscular and driving the piano is.

Talking of "Late November", two years on and I still haven't got used to there being a second album although I knew some of the recordings from other places. Given the line up and the people playing on it I think of it more as "Rising For The Moon Part Minus One".

One of the highlights was the Gordon Lightfoot cover by Trevor Lucas, I've heard the Banks of The Nile and a couple of other tunes on a Sandy Denny comp , but Trevor Lucas stuff is new to me. As you mentioned about Sloth this week it sounds ahead of its time .Think I shall have to rethink my opinion on post Thompson Fairport. Bloody hell I'm having enough problems with new music without digging up old stuff as well

Know that feeling well enough! Rising For The Moon is a must have for Sandy fans. After that not sure you are missing much. Albion Band and others were doing more interesting stuff I think. There is a nice Fairport Tull set that I have but the vibe is is more Tull than Fairports.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 18:46
IanB wrote:
There is a nice Fairport Tull set that I have but the vibe is is more Tull than Fairports.

funnily enough as I dug out bthe Sandy Denny box I found the Tull 20th Anniversary set as well, suspect that both will get a good listening too once I finish with the Coltrane/MC5 crosschecking
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 18:53
Yeah, kind of against my better judgement I tell myself, then I tell mysel oh bolix, I think it's great!

Been listennig to the earlier 'Chuck' stuff too.

They's certainly different to yer usual.

They know what they're about.

:-)

x
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 18:58
Sonny & Linda's "Paradise" is a unique classic -- not sure it really compares to anyone else's version of "jazz fusion."

I've wondered if the vocal on "The Great Gig In The Sky" was inspired by Linda Sharrock's style? She's slightly Yoko, but still has the "soul" thing going on.
helvellyn
helvellyn
39 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 18:58
found a load of stuff I recorded years back the other day. God, some of it was awful. But a couple of tracks have stood the test of time quite well, at least to my ears.

Apart from that, I've been listening to Status Quo, The Pixies, Eminem, Simon and Garfunkel, Radiohead, Billy Bragg, Blancmange, Kate Bush, and AC Marias.
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 19:02
ToneStone wrote:

The newest Barn Owl record on Thrill Jockey is phenomenal. Definite year-end contender.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 19:14
eyeshakingking wrote:
ToneStone wrote:

The newest Barn Owl record on Thrill Jockey is phenomenal. Definite year-end contender.

Just picked up The Conjurer 4-track (full length) by Barn Owl off iTunes for £2.49. Barge-in!

I'll keep my eyes open for Ancestral Star closer to release date.

Thanks both.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 19:16
"Permissive Polyphonics" is part of the PROJECT 3 TOTAL STEREO SOUND series, which was followed by the more famous PHASE 4 STEREO SOUND records. I've got a few other Phase 3 & 4's, but don't know what the deal is with "phase 1 & 2".

Just listening to another one called "Enoch Light's Action" (phase 3) and it doesn't have the moog-sitar-electric sax stuff, so if may just be that one album that's high tech.

One nice thing about these records is they have that 60's crazy stereo separation -- drums all in one channel, orchestra in the other and that sort of thing. Tend to do lots of "hip" songs too (Marakesh Express, Yellow Submarine, etc.)

One drawback is the vocal choruses usually sound like the Ray Conniff Singers (blech!) Fortunately these are mostly instrumental records.

The Phase 4 records are also tasty, but more smoothed out -- The Free Design did some of the vocal harmonies on at least one of those (called "The Now Sound with Tommy Mottola" or something like that.)
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 19:24
mingtp wrote:
eyeshakingking wrote:
ToneStone wrote:

Just picked up The Conjurer 4-track (full length) by Barn Owl off iTunes for £2.49. Barge-in!

I'll keep my eyes open for Ancestral Star closer to release date.

Thanks both.

They also have a collab LP due with Eternal Tapestry (on Digitalis) under the name Garden Sound, apparently inspired by Parson Sound, which will also be worth looking out for, needless to say.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index