Sound Elixir - Nazareth

The Bitter Suite - Hue And Cry

Hotel - Moby

Dazzleships - OMD

Eldorado - ELO

Gallus - Gun

East Side Story - Squeeze

Simple Minds Paris Sept 11th 2010.

plus some stuff by Donovan, John Martyn, Fairport Convention, which I haven't listened to for ages. But thanks to some here I've dug out and enjoying again. So thank you!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 19 September 2010 CE
Sep 20, 2010, 01:31
aw shux yous guys!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 20, 2010, 08:55
Sep 20, 2010, 08:32
Heaven Up Here - E&TB
I know it is widely considered to be a bit po-faced but I am very fond of this record. Shows how much Bono & co owe them.

Springsteen - Born to Run
Yes it was hyped within an inch of its life and yes the British music media were very sniffy about it (and the hype around him) at the time but musically this is a studio masterpiece. The little details in the arrangements are in the Wilson/Spector class. Shame some of the lyrics are so idiotic. This "Darkness" and "Nebraska" are the only Springsteen I ever listen to. "Darkness" box set coming this winter. Which, despite my aversion to major label (and especially Sony) gouge-the-public strategies, looks like it might be a must-have.

Seems like I am not alone in having a bit of a folkie week. Must be the creeping dread of Autumn.

Shirley Collins - The Power Of The True Love Knot
Fovea Hex - 3 eps
Paddie Bell (and various Fureys) - I Know Where I Am Going
Martin Carthy - s/t
Fairports - Sloth (BBC Recording 1970, sounds like Marquee Moon)
Roy Harper - Folkjokeopus
Michael Chapman - Fully Qualified Survivor
Battlefield Band - The Road Of Tears
June Tabor - Angel Tiger
Albion Band - Rise Up Like The Sun
Lal Waterson & Oliver Knight - Once In A Blue Moon
Dolores Keane -There Was a Maid
Davy Spillane - Atlanitc Bridge
Bothy Band - After Hours

Miles - The Complete Birth of the Cool on Blue Note
Miles - The Silent Way Sessions Box Set
keith a
9576 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 08:46
Think I might have to dig Duniya out this week - it's a big fave of mine!

I read that there's a cover of a Nick Drake song on the new Natacha Atlas LP - an interesting proposition to be sure!
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 09:40
keith a wrote:

I read that there's a cover of a Nick Drake song on the new Natacha Atlas LP - an interesting proposition to be sure!

isn't there supposed to be a Drake cover by Millie of 'My Boy Lolipop' fame? Mayfair.
Just looked that up and yup, according to this
http://www.robinfrederick.com/ndpress.html

Drake's version appeared on Time Of No Reply
Stevo
keith a
9576 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 09:49
Good review, Stevo. So has anyone heard that cover? Just looked for it on youtube without success.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 13:33
John Coltrane - Acension this is prety amazing, not really aware of him other than his version of Favourite Things & A Love Supreme which I listened to to see how the Gun Club cover matched, but Ascension is well freaky,at times it seems utterly random but then it falls into place, and it never strays too far from a point at which you think 'ooh thats nice' I can hear its influence on the Dead & MC5 so I spent a lot of time listening to Kick Out The Jams & Dead Jammimg live.

Black Flag - Process Of Weeding Out as an extension of Coltrane/Grateful Dead/Black Flag but I think I'm pushing it a bit, listened to Sonic Youth Daydream Nation/Evol as well, forgootten how good SY could be

Fotheringay -for some reason I always thought the Fotheringay album was somehow flawed but it's a perfect little gem, albeit the CD has the 'bonus' of an English folk band attempting to RnR badly on Memphis Tennessee.

Fovea Hex thanks for that Ian B, initial listening quite impressed but then I got the Coltrane/Fotheringay bug and all else fell by the wayside

C93 Thunder Perfect Mind - listened to this early in the week, still impresses me less than the other CDs I've heard yet it seems to be held in high regard ny many C93 fans, each to his own

I'm off to listen to some more Coltrane, see if I can make more sense of the denser squawky bits
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 20, 2010, 14:34
Sep 20, 2010, 14:06
machineryelf wrote:
Fotheringay - for some reason I always thought the Fotheringay album was somehow flawed but it's a perfect little gem, albeit the CD has the 'bonus' of an English folk band attempting to RnR badly on Memphis Tennessee.

Love this album. It's her most June Tabor-esque record I think in that it is still a Folk Rock record but with the accent on the piano and primarly acoustic guitars rather than the raw edged electrics and fiddle of the Fairports. On the other side it is also not an MOR album like some of the solo records. Add "Late November" from the El Pea sampler to "Fotheringay" and lose "Ned Kelly" and you've nigh on the perfect Rock-Folk album. I love how muscular and driving the piano is.

Talking of "Late November", two years on and I still haven't got used to there being a second album although I knew some of the recordings from other places. Given the line up and the people playing on it I think of it more as "Rising For The Moon Part Minus One".
machineryelf
3681 posts

Sep 20, 2010, 16:19
IanB wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
Fotheringay - for some reason I always thought the Fotheringay album was somehow flawed but it's a perfect little gem, albeit the CD has the 'bonus' of an English folk band attempting to RnR badly on Memphis Tennessee.

Love this album. It's her most June Tabor-esque record I think in that it is still a Folk Rock record but with the accent on the piano and primarly acoustic guitars rather than the raw edged electrics and fiddle of the Fairports. On the other side it is also not an MOR album like some of the solo records. Add "Late November" from the El Pea sampler to "Fotheringay" and lose "Ned Kelly" and you've nigh on the perfect Rock-Folk album. I love how muscular and driving the piano is.

Talking of "Late November", two years on and I still haven't got used to there being a second album although I knew some of the recordings from other places. Given the line up and the people playing on it I think of it more as "Rising For The Moon Part Minus One".

One of the highlights was the Gordon Lightfoot cover by Trevor Lucas, I've heard the Banks of The Nile and a couple of other tunes on a Sandy Denny comp , but Trevor Lucas stuff is new to me. As you mentioned about Sloth this week it sounds ahead of its time .Think I shall have to rethink my opinion on post Thompson Fairport. Bloody hell I'm having enough problems with new music without digging up old stuff as well
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index