Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Phil Collins
Sep 09, 2010, 12:27
The Sea Cat wrote:
IanB wrote:

And the way the music press and media totally abandoned long-form rock music in 76/77 was a fairly scandalous exercise in collective amnesia. A lot of the music that was made between say 74 and 76 was terrible and the change in drugs-of-choice did bad things to people's egos but I think it took the best part of 15 years for English music to recover from the Flat Earthism of Punk. Punk just left the middle ground open to MTV and the greedheads and 100% focus on singles rather than 40 minute musical experiences. Baby. Bathwater.

If you set aside the Prog and Psych revivalists like Marillion it was a lonely empty road for original long-form English rock music between say "Awaken" and "Laughing Stock" or "Laser Guided Melodies".

That's very well said Ian. Exact and astute. Do you blog or write re. music? If not, you should do ( and that's not just because I agree, you have an insight and turn of phrase even if I don't agree with a particular point).

Blimey. That's very good of you. No I haven't blogged. I lucked into doing a little bit of music writing for one of the broadsheets many moons ago but I wasn't really good enough for a sustained run at that. Having a conversation with you lot is one thing, writing for an invisible audience is something else entirely. Though I do enjoy other people's blogs. I have discovered more great music through five years or so hanging around HH than from a lifetime of reading the press.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index