The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Sep 09, 2010, 11:20
Re: Phil Collins
Sep 09, 2010, 11:18
IanB wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' sets my teeth on edge, unfortunately. Much as I admire the guy's obvious talent, and I like some of his early solo work and the Passion soundtrack, I find his po-faced seriousness and hanging around with Bono and Annie Lennox's bandwagon extremely tedious. I know he's done great things re. global music, but come on Pete. Lighten up a bit. Stick A Flower in your jeans now and again ( see what I did there eh? ;-).

Joking apart, I think The Lamb was his finest hour.

I agree. I think he is one of those artists that has been very lucky with the critics. And Real World / WOMAD has a lot to do with that. Slagging off Gabriel was the equivalent of calling Mother Theresa a ****. Most of his solo stuff after PG 4 is so dull it makes Sting sound like Smokey Robinson. And the music he wrote for the performance art thing in the Millenium Dome was bilge of the highest order. When it comes to post Lamb the best things he did were the piano ballad version of "Here Comes The Flood" on Fripp's "Exposure" and "Don't Give Up".

It's also the faux 'serious intellectual artiste' schtick that really irritates. I decided to give Ovo a go once via the library and it was excruciatingly dull and pretentious, and the less said of Up, the better. Awful. Like going under the gas at particularly pompous dental surgery..
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index