6761 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2010, 09:54
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 15 August 2010 CE
Aug 15, 2010, 08:53
red paeony wrote:
1001realapes wrote:

NEU! : NEU!

Van Morrison : No Guru , No Method , No Teacher

I had both of those on this week, as well.

No Guru... is one of the great unsung albums by VM, ever.
Tir Na Nog makes me want to soar off a mountaintop ;-)

It is indeed Unsung Van. I feel the exact same way you do about "This Knight Will Last Forever" and "In The Garden" as you do about "Tir Na Nog". It's Van in classic "His Band & The Street Choir" form. "Poetic Champions" is worth having too. Anyone who gave up with "Wavelength" should check these two out. It's not too late to start now!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2010, 10:59
Aug 15, 2010, 09:26
Lewis Taylor - Lewis II - from the album Lewis II
Lewis Taylor - Waves - b side of Whoever cd single
Lewis Taylor - Damn & Spirit - from the eponymous debut lp

Lewis Taylor's debut album was lauded to the heavens by such tastemakers as Mojo Magazine and er ... Elton John. It became the record that everyone in the music business seemed to love and yet nobody paid for. Island tried to market him as blue eyed soul when he was clearly coming from Peel and Sunday nights at the Roundhouse rather than Global Village, Caister and Robbie Vincent. A music biz hipsters' five-minute-wonder of an album for sure but you have to respect a man who plays Free's "Mr Big" and "21st Century Schizoid Man" at a Nu Soul show. Superficially he was one of those 1990s D'Angelo / Angie Stone soul revivalist type of R&B artist, all authentic sounds and emotive singing but no great songs to write home about. Don't let that put you off though as his music is a gorgeous gothic mixture of Todd, Marvin, Tim Buckley, Brian Wilson, Darryl Hall, Prince and Yes. Not just his kitchen sink but everyone else's kitchen sink too. And the songs are there you just have to let them blossom with repeated listening. He shares with Marvin a tendancy to slip into superficial baby-baby-baybeeee lyrical structures but his conversational songs also expose a core male vulnerability in the romance stakes. It's that Paranoid-Sex-In-60s-Soul insecurity thing qv the O'Jays "Backstabbers" but priapic with it. He also has that classic Motown knack of knack of writing beautiful bass lines that are almost separate songs in themselves. And the harmonies! Angels, my friends. Angels. Now retired from the music business you can see that Taylor will be one of those artists that gets the 6 page Mojo revival feature treatment in about 2020. Get in early! Seek out these four tunes as starters and if they crank your handle I would very highly recommend the debut album, "Lost" and "Stoned". If you love Todd I can almost guarantee that you will love Lewis too.

Black Tempest - Ex Proxima
Bloody hell! You can't knock the standard of music made by people on HH. This is a great TD meets Popol Vuh record with a Free Jazz interlude t'boot. If this range and depth is replicated across the other underground music forums then the state of the nation's music is in pretty rude health. If it isn't then you could make a career as an a&r man just hanging out on Unsung!

Black Crowes - Croweology
There is life in the Classic Rock beast yet. Great double album of stripped down versions of BC favourites. If you've not heard anything they've done since Jealous Again or Amorica then this is as good an entree as any to their Stones/War/Band/Parsons mash up

Kleptones - Shits & Giggles
A new Kleptones record is always worth an hour of your time and even with these are outtakes from Uptime/Downtime there is barely a weak moment or a bad idea.

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
The post Syd Floyd sound rebuilt for 2010 and a Prog album that wont get you into trouble with the discography police. What the Flaming Lips would have sounded like in their early years were they not total chancers.
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 10:37
BJnielsen - Draught No 1
Joachim Nordwall - Ignition
Peter Broderick - Float
Chris Watson - Weather Report
The Driftwood Manor - Holy Ghost
Fucked Up - The Chemistry Of Common Life
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 11:16
Pat Metheny Group 'Pat Metheny Group'

Weather Report 'Weather Report' and 'Sweetnighter'

War 'Why Can't We Be Friends'

Steve York's Camelo Pardalis 'Manor Live'

Brian Eno 'Music For Airports'

Tyrannosaurus Rex 'A Beard Of Stars'

Paul Rodgers ' Cut Loose'

Clive Gregson 'I Love This Town'

Lefty Frizzell 'Life's Like Poetry'

The Wedding Present 'The Peel Sessions'
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 16:48
A few live albums, after enjoying the collection of live 70s albums from Dave 3000s Kosmik Radiation show again (it got me wondering what else I'd have included):

Focus Live at the Rainbow : a storming album.
David Bowie - Stage : among many, I love Station to Station on this.
Joni Mitchell - Miles of Aisles : one I'd forgotten about which Dave played.

Other CDs:

Wishbone Ash - There's the Rub/Locked In twofer.
Enjoying There's the Rub muchly, but no so muchly Locked In yet.

Suicide 1st (with Live at CBGBs 1978) - caught a couple of Suicide tracks on another of Dave's shows and dug this out.

Queen II - Splendid! The template for Muse?

Soft Machine Third (with bonus disc)
Hadn't heard this before. I'm familiar with 1 and 2, which I must admit I like but don't necessarily enjoy IYKWIM. Now Third I really really like. It reminds me of the early jazz bits of Gong (Camembert era). Anyone recommend and of the later albums, which I'm also unfamiliar with?

High Wolf - Shangri L.A.
Wasn't sure about this on first listen, it sounded a bit one-dimensional with the repetetive tribal beats/loops. Further listens revealed some gorgeous detail though, and I can't stop listening to it now. Recommended.

Emeralds - Does it Look Like I'm Here
Still enjoying this, despite the slightly saccharine beauty.

Vinyl:

Solus 3 - The Sky Above The Roof
Wow - this sounds great in it's vinyl incarnation. Wonderful full and resonant sound. I must admit I wish that there were more instrumental tracks on this, but it is a really great summers record overall. Get one!

Demdike Stare - Liberation Through Hearing
Great stuff, but I'm still preferring Forest of Evil. Love the big drum throom sound.

Thomas Koner - Nunatak/Teimo/Permafrost
Absolutely stunning trio of drone/ambient underwater gong sounds. Apparently now available as a triple CD at a cheaper price.

Live Dead
Another great live album dug out after listening to Kosmik Radiation's Dead show. Good to play this on record too, kinda feels right!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 17:59
redfish365 wrote:
Grasscut/ 1 Inch: 1/2 Mile

Yay - am liking this a lot.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 18:01
texlahoma wrote:
BJnielsen - Draught No 1

Any good? I really like the Storm shared one with Chris Watson.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 16, 2010, 11:17
Aug 15, 2010, 18:12
Skream - Outside the Box
I'm enjoying this more than I expected to - thought Skream would be to dubstep what Goldie was to drum'b'bass (i.e. the white man's intellectually acceptable coffee table approximation) but it's a tad more edgy than that. As far as the genre's concerned the only other album I own Ministry of Sound's 2-disc "This is Dubstep" compo, as most dubstep is issued on vinyl only and I don't have a record player anymore (although I've been to several dubstep nights and enjoyed them). Whether or not it will stand the test of time, who knows...

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Definitely better than the film, which itself was no disaster despite providing a platform for David Bowie's questionable acting career.

Various - Rough Trade Post Punk 01
Getting so old that even the early noughties post-punk REVIVAL seems like a distant memory to me now. As such things tend to go in cycles, I predict a revival of the revival sometime around 2022. Cynicism aside, though, this is about as good primer for the uninitiated as any. Doubtless if I was 15 I'd be boring my friends in wannabe-Simon Reynolds-style by pontificating about how punk's greatest legacy was the bands who surfaced two or three years after it ended.

Leonard Cohen - The Essential Leonard Cohen
Pretty much the definitive Cohen overview, perhaps down to the fact that the songs were selected by the man himself - which can either be a recipe for disaster (artists not always being the best qualified judges of their own work) or a triumph, as in this case. Unlike most of his contemporaries - if he ever had any, really - he's managed to grow old gracefully whilst still remaining ahead of the musical curve. The synths and back-up voices that chracterise his late 80s/early 90s work would sound almost unbearably cheesy in the hands of anyone else (except Momus, perhaps) but his world-weary singing and lyrics add just the right amount of scholarly detachment to offset them.

Status Quo - Early Years
Good compilation of lightweight but infectious psych/pop singles they released whilst before Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi invented Repetitive Strain Injury forgot how to play anything other than kackneyed 12-bar blues riffs (except for the sacrosanct "Down Down" of course, which would have been an irritatingly excellent gonzoid rock single even if it had been a collaboration between Susan Boyle and A Flux of Pink Indians.)

Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves
Their last great album, IMO. Much more chilled and cntemplative than anything they'd heretofore released, as well as providng a helpful hint in the title as to what you should put in your Rizlas in order to appreciate the spare and sometimes legnthy guitar jams that comprise most of this album (even if there is a breif window left open or post-Riot Grrrl urgency in Kim Gordon's "The Ineffable Me").

Super Furry Animals - Guerrila
Not their last good album, but the only one that's a mind-blower from start to finish.

David Ackles - s/t
Just burning those discs for you now, Mr Sea Cat - check "Down River" for a taste of what Phil Collins would sound like if he'd had another one of his mumerous mid-life crises and decided than Nick Cave, rather than his wife's accounctant, would be his primary inspiration from now on.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 18:21
V/A - The Harder They Come OST
Television Personalities - "Part Time Punks"
Bauhaus - "Bela Lugosi's Dead" 12"
U2 - U23 EP 7"

Madness - Absolutely double CD
The Birthday Party - Hee-Haw
The Teardrop Explodes - Bates Motel
Depeche Mode - "Dreaming of Me" 7"
Dif Juz - Huremics EP 12"
Simple Minds - Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call
Siouxsie & The Banshees Ju Ju
Crispy Ambulance - The Plateau Phase
The Birthday Party - The Bad Seed EP; Mutiny! EP
The Sisters Of Mercy - "Temple of Love" 12"
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
Pet Shop Boys - "Paninaro"
V/A - Factory Records 1987. Latest in LTM's "Auteur Labels" series.
The Cure - Disintegration

Gang of Four - "Money Talks" CD single. Not their finest moment.
Lush - Mad Love EP
The Jesus & Mary Chain - "Far Gone & Out" CD single
The House of Love - Peel Sessions
Julian Cope - Jehovahkill
Amorphous Androgynous - Tales Of Ephidrina
FSOL - "Cascades" CD single; "Expander" CD single; Life-forms; ISDN
Autechre - Peel Session 13/10/1995
V/A - Adventures In Modern Music. Wire compilation from 1996.
Morrissey - "Alma Matters" and "Roy's Keen" CD singles
V/A - The Wire Tapper 1

ACR - Mind Made Up
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Autechre - Move Of Ten
Grasscut - 1 inch: 1/2 mile
Rowland S. Howard - Pop Crimes
School of Seven Bells - Disconnect from Desire
Martina Topley Bird - Some Place Simple
Underworld - "Scribble". New album out this week...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 18:29
Haven't had a lot of time for the stereo lately, though I did listen to Joni Mitchell "COURT & SPARK" on the turntable. I need to get her late 70's albums next (Hejira & Don Juan especially.)

(And I confess I listened to my own Grateful Dead Audience Tape radio special about five times! Their live stuff is just so much more special than the studio albums.)

But mainly been rehearsing for a couple recent pick-up Americana cover band gigs. Tunes I got to sing and/or play on included . . .

Up on Cripple Creek
The Weight
Bad Moon Risin'
White Rabbit
Here Comes A Regular (always wanted to sing this in a pub)
Willin' (RIP Richie Hayward)
Fearless (Pink Floyd)
Can't You See (Marshall Tucker Band, I think?)

And by our favorite songwriters (recycled from past gigs):

Neil -
Out on the Weekend
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Powderfinger

Bob -
Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You
Buckets of Rain
One More Cup of Coffee
It Takes A Lot To Laugh It Takes A Train To Cry
Slow Train
Please Mrs. Henry