Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 15 August 2010 CE
Aug 15, 2010, 21:50
texlahoma wrote:
Hmm not sure, It may be on cd too but i only saw it on tape.

Retro format a-go-go! Better buy an 8 track cartridge player...

(Actually turntables are now out-selling CD players)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 21:51
drewbhoy wrote:
The last tune which she sings is brilliant and she should sing more (than just the other 2 songs). But if you get the chance to see them go! Stunning act and musicianship excellent. I like the idea with songs with no hooks, big choruses just verses with ideas. But I am bias. I noted you've been listening to some great music at least one listing exceptional. (no guesses the new Electroset stuff he is doing, Lostboy, contains more old and rare Minds songs)

I did think of you when I played it. Not in a rude way, obviously.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 22:23
keith a wrote:

HALLOWED GROUND – Violent Femmes
Definitely Top 100 material. It’s been great playing this one again of late.

top live band as well, one can never have enough Femmes

mostly listened to my I-pod this week

but a special mention to Faust Is Last, ta for mentioning this Mr A, this is way too good for a band at this point in their career, 2 discs and not a wasted moment, on a par with the best of Faust, a big thumbs up from Elfland
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 22:38
Glad you like it, MYE!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 23:30
redfish365 wrote:
Swamp Dogg/ The Excellent Sides of Swamp Dogg Vol.1. (This one features his albums Total Destruction to Your Mind and Rat On and includes several tracks I'm very familiar with and many I'd never heard. Just about ALL good. Swamp Dogg has such a memorable voice and combined with his sense of humor and self-deprecation and he's hard not to like)

Oh yeah, that's the one I've got, too. I'm listening to it again right now and it feels like goin' home.

Glad to see some soul in SOOL.
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 15, 2010, 23:57
Cheers Squid and Tex. Ordered...
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Aug 16, 2010, 00:39
Cheers Mr Sc, Simple Minds will be quiet for a wee while after the Sept 11th gig in Paris, an estimated 100,000 attending. But I've been told not to fear cos some new stuff will be coming. Plus I know they'll be back bigger and better than ever. If you're interested, I think you are cos Grafitti was brilliant, I'll keep you posted, as I will do for other Minds fans. Meanwhile Lostboy band/electroset will keep Jim Kerr/Sarah Brown fans happy. The set he did in Hamburg was brilliant maybe I should put it up here?
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Aug 16, 2010, 00:39
Popel Vooje wrote:
Skream - Outside the Box
I'm liking this more than I expected to - thought it would be Dubstep's equivalent of Goldie (i.e. the white man's intellectually acceptable coffee table approximation) but it's a tad more edgy than that. As far as the genre's concerned I only own Ministry of Sound's "This is Dubstep" compo thus far, as most dubstep is issued on vinyl only and I don't have a record player anymore (although I've been to several dubstep nights and enjoyed them). Whether or not it will stand the test of time, who knows...

I had similar reservations at first and was also similarly pleasently surprised.

Maybe dubstep may always be a singles-led genre? Well, at least until Katy B's forthcoming album takes it so far overground that Goldie is a dot below.

I don't buy vinyl that often anymore either, but I could cobble together a rip-roaring CD comp or two for you if you'd like to hear more dubstep. Let me know if the idea appeals, mate.
keith a
9573 posts

Aug 16, 2010, 01:08
Popel Vooje wrote:
Skream - Outside the Box
I'm liking this more than I expected to - thought it would be Dubstep's equivalent of Goldie (i.e. the white man's intellectually acceptable coffee table approximation) but it's a tad more edgy than that. As far as the genre's concerned I only own Ministry of Sound's "This is Dubstep" compo thus far, as most dubstep is issued on vinyl only and I don't have a record player anymore (although I've been to several dubstep nights and enjoyed them). Whether or not it will stand the test of time, who knows...

I've only heard one track off it but I thought it was pretty horrible TBH. I've never really bought dubstep but I've liked a lot of what I've heard, but the Skream track I heard (Filth) had such an irritating screechy noise I could hardly bear it.
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Aug 16, 2010, 01:10
mingtp wrote:

Maybe dubstep may always be a singles-led genre?

I've been listening to this absolutely relentless dubstep/grime album lately called 6 Feet Below Sound 2 by a group called Macabre Unit. Every song segues into the next one and the pace never lets up, only getting more and more intense. It's kind of like the Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh of dubstep in that respect. The lyrics can be a bit crude I s'pose, but it's a really ennervating album.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't released for sale, at least I've never seen a CD for sale online (might not have looked hard enough though, I guess), so click if ye dare.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index