IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2010, 12:03
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 July 2010 CE
Jul 11, 2010, 10:37
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Very mainstream listening for me this week, including:

Queen 'Queen': It occurred to me this week that this fine debut album has enriched my life for nearly four decades, and I've never tired of it. Despite the ridicule I risk upon myself, I feel an Unsung review coming on....;

You should! The first two albums are both brilliant. Barely a note wasted. They came in for a lot of stick at school because of the number of rock-fan-come-lately kids who went straight from sub Rollers bubblegum to Queen without serving their Glam apprenticeship and doing the whole Bowie/Bolan/Mott thing. Same thing happened with Supertramp a little while later. The Prog Rock band with nearly all the Prog and most of the Rock taken out. I remember a load of kids coming back to school after that summer holiday newly converted to rock music via Nicky Horne playing the crap out of Crime of the Century before it came out. IIRC a lot of those same kids went from there to the likes of War of the Worlds, The Wall, Zappa and Weather Report without ever stopping off for any of the dirty fingernails stuff of Punk or Metal. Anyway .... with the benefit of hindsight Queen made a tonne of great records and that first album is definitely Unsung material.

Good call on the Gould, the Karajan Mahler 9 and "Stay" too. That Mahler 9 is wonderful. Never understood a preference for the live recording. Nothing wrong with the mainstream. It's the hardest place to do good work.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index