1001realapes
1001realapes
2386 posts

Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 July 2010 CE
Jul 10, 2010, 23:46
Klaus Schulze : La Vie Electronique 1 , 2 , 3 , 4

Grateful Dead : Avalon Ballroom SF 5-19-66

Grateful Dead : The Workingman's Dead

Grateful Dead : Rotterdam 5-11-72 (47 minute Dark Star !)

Conrad Schnitzler : Grun

Cocteau Twins : Milk and Kisses

Love : Forever Changes

Love : Love Lost

Jerry Garcia : Garcia
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 July 2010 CE
Jul 11, 2010, 00:27
Tuluum Shimmering - Heart of Sky Heart of Earth CS

Pospulenn - Sun People Sleepwalker CS

Keith Fullerton Whitman - Variations For Oud & Synthesizer

Pandit Pran Nath - Midnight Raga Malkauns

Durutti Column - The Return of... & LC

Bee Mask - Canzoni dal Laboratorie Silenzio Cosmico CS

Twin Peaks - Soundtrack CD

Dandelions - s/t LP

Bronze Horse - s/t LP

Jandek - Telegraph Melts & Follow Your Footsteps

Dave Bixby - Ode to Quetzalcoatl

Sea Dog - Particle Accelerator Party Jam: Live @ Verona Park

& more - that's all I can remember for now...
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 00:59
Albums

Blitzen Trapper - Destroyer of the Void
VA - A Pot of Flowers
Detroit Social Club - Existence
Julian Cope - Floored Genius 2 (Expanded Edition)
Amorphous Androgynous - The Peppermint Tree
MIA - MAYA

Tracks

The Dovers - She's Gone (tune!)
Plank - La Luna
Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss
Grinny Grandad - The Good Girl (DJ Askillz remix)
The Wurzels - Ruby
Kelly Rowland - Commander
The Bluetones - A New Athens
Crystal Fighters - In The Summer
The Black Angels - Bad Vibrations
Alva Noto - Garment (For A Garment)
Brother Culture - Wikidness (Tes La Rok Remix)
hedlite
hedlite
375 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 01:01
Copey - Peggy Suicide

Cocteau's - Treasure

Deerhoof - Offend Maggie

Cardiacs - Sing to God 1&2
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 02:12
It's a hot summer in Chicagoland and for whatever reason this usually means I listen to more organic, earthy music although I start this week with Astral Disaster by Coil... not exactly typical of this week.

Mount Carmel/ ST

Riot/ Fire Down Under

Uriah Heep/ Demons & Wizards

Endless Boogie/ ST

Pat Travers Band/ Crash and Burn

Gillan/ Future Shock

Miles Davis/ Kind of Blue

John Coltrane/ Coltrane Plays the Blues

Wolfmother/ Cosmic Egg

Causa Sui/ Summer Sessions Vols 1-3

Deep Purple/ Machine Head and Burn

Supersilent/ 5

More/ Blood and Thunder

VdGG/ Pawn Hearts

Quarkspace/ Spacefolds 8

Speed, Glue and Shinki/ ST

Rick Saucedo/ Heaven Was Blue

Ten Years After/ Cricklewood Green

Can/ Soundtracks

Nebula/ Heavy Psych

Circle/ Forest
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2010, 04:45
Jul 11, 2010, 03:53
Donovan - HMS Donovan (♥)
Oliver Messiaen - Vingt Regards Sur L'enfant Jesus (Stephen Osborne/Piano)
Zelienople - Sleeper Coach
Graeme Jefferies - Messages for The Cakekitchen
Mills Brothers - Best of the Mills Brothers
Shelagh McDonald - Let No Man Steal Your Thyme
Donald Byrd - Ethiopian Knights
Noah Howard - The Black Ark
The Screamers - Demos (1977-78)
R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant/Chronic Town
Smile Down Upon Us - S/T
Sturmpercht - Geister im Waldgebirg
Karuna Khyal - Alomoni 1985
Stars of the Lid - The Tired Sounds Of
Tall Dwarfs - Hello Cruel World
Sparks - Kimono My House/their new record about Ingmar Bergman's Hollywood career
Mayo Thompson - Corky's Debt to His Father
Giacinto Scelsi - Quattro Pezzi Per Orchestra
Beatles - Hard Day's Night
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Eskaton - 4 Visions
Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation
Robert Wyatt - Theatre Royal Drury Lane
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2010, 09:32
Jul 11, 2010, 09:25
FGTH - Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Fruitness Mix)
ZTT remixes were often somewhat hit and miss affairs but marrying a classic Slave To The Rhythm style mix to a completely straight-faced Geoffrey "Butterflies" Palmer reading Friedrich Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy was a masterstroke. A genius record from the time when pop could be serious and silly rather than dumb and dumber.

Tanja Donelly - Beautysleep
My tolerance for the kind of late 80s / early 90s indie rock and dream pop witterings that 4AD were so fond of signing is fairly limited but this is a really lovely record. Surprising like the last couple of Maria McKee solo albums. Goes to support my theory that a lot of artists need two or three decent kicks at a career before they find their voice and hit their stride.

The Tubes - s/t
A satirical Prog / Glam / Fusion masterpiece. Scissor Sisters meets Zoot Allures era Frank Zappa.

Yes - Close To The Edge
Their last truly flawless studio effort and an album that is still connected to the vicious r&b / psych drive of the Yes Album. The ambition is mind boggling and, truth to tell, a bit exhausting at times but And You And I is still one of the prettiest pieces of music to come out of the 70s rock enormo bands, Siberian Khatru one of Prog's finest pieces of arranging. Largely fusion-free and gorgeous melodies all the way. Probably Jon Anderson's least awful set of lyrics too. So what's not to like?

Chris Spedding - Wild In The Street
Mick Ronson - Slaughter On 10th Avenue
The Members - At The Chelsea Night Club
John Zorn - Naked City
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2010, 09:47
Close To The Edge
Jul 11, 2010, 09:43
Ian B wrote:

"Yes - Close To The Edge
Their last truly flawless studio effort and an album that is still connected to the vicious r&b / psych drive of the Yes Album. The ambition is mind boggling and, truth to tell, a bit exhausting at times but And You And I is still one of the prettiest pieces of music to come out of the 70s rock enormo bands, Siberian Khatru one of Prog's finest pieces of arranging. Largely fusion-free and gorgeous melodies all the way. Probably Jon Anderson's least awful set of lyrics too. So what's not to like?"

Quite. It's a fabulous album, without parallel in either Yes' own extensive back catalogue or rock music generally. Every participant - even Anderson - was at the top of their form when it was made. The title track is that oh so rare thing: a side long epic with no boring bits. They never achieved that again.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2010, 15:54
Jul 11, 2010, 09:51
Various - The Sound of Dubstep

Various - Elektronishe Musik

Camper Van Beethoven : Key Lime Pie

Various - Forge Your Own Chains (Heavy Psychedelic Ballads and Dirges 1968-1974)

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today

Various - Soul Jazz Presents Tropicalia (A Brazilian Revolution in Sound)

The Damned - Strawberries

Field Music - Field Music

Bobb Trimble - Harvest of Dreams

Godz - Contact High

Various - The Freakbeat Scene

Portishead - s/t
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 10:31
Very mainstream listening for me this week, including:

Queen 'Queen': It occurred to me this week that this fine debut album has enriched my life for nearly four decades, and I've never tired of it. Despite the ridicule I risk upon myself, I feel an Unsung review coming on....;

Caravan 'The Album' - their commercial nadir, released at a time (1980) when no-one cared any more, Caravan's tenth album is a superbly crafted pop album full of warmth and melody. The guitar on the marvelous closing track 'Keeping Up Defences' is amazing, making me wonder where Pye Hastings had been hiding that particular facet of his talents for so long;

Van Morrison 'Astral Weeks' - i've been revelling again in the sonic glories of this classic's current audiophile vinyl edition, which every fan of this album really should stop at nothing to acquire (£15 at HMV last time I was in, if you're interested). There's so much going on that I'd never heard before, and wasn't Richard Davis' just-off-the-note bass playing just perfect for the sessions;

David Bowie 'Station To Station' - inspired by the deluxe edition thread, I dug this out of the mothballs last week, not having played it in at least ten years. I remain of the opinion that it's far from Bowie's best album, caught as it is between the blue-eyed soul of 'Young Americans' and the coke-soaked artrock of his Berlin period, but it does have some great moments, not least the stunning title track which pretty much overshadows everything that follows, especially the godawful 'Golden Years'. Carlos Alomar deserves a mention too: his Isleyesque riffing and lead work on 'Stay' is a thing of wonder;

The Beatles 'Rubber Soul' - quite the grooviest album in The Beatles' discography, in that the feet are kept-a-tapping through nearly every track. I hope EMI see fit to issue the original mono mix of this separately as it's so much more vibrant than either of the stereo versions on the market;

Holger Czukay 'Movies' - totally accessible and irresistible solo album from Can bassist. Why 'Cool In The Pool' wasn't a million-selling floor filler is one of the great mysteries of modern music.

Classical stuff included Glenn Gould's quirky but enthralling Bach Partitas, Kurt Sanderling in Haydn's 44th and 104th symphonies, and Karajan's Mahler Ninth - the 1980 studio one, if you're interested - with a closing slow movement that is nothing less than the stairway to heaven transcribed in musical form. One listen, and that's all she wrote.

I fuckn love music, me. May you get a similar rush from it, dear friends. Have a great week.

Dave
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index