Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 July 2010 CE
Jul 11, 2010, 17:54
Them- Rock Roots

Van Morrison- New York Sessions '67

Van Morrison- Moondance

The Stranglers- The Raven

Sonic Youth- Dirty (their much maligned 'pop' album- I hadn't listened to this in years but still say it sounds great and stands up with their best. I like the Yoof best when they mix the avant-garde experiments with a nod to bubblegum pop and rock- Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty are the 'classic' period for me).

UNKLE- Psyence Fiction (sounding badly dated to me- but then, what could be more 1996 than a record featuring DJ Shadow, Richard Ashcroft, Thom Yorke, Badly Drawn Boy, Ian Brown and The Beastie Boys).

UNKLE- Never Never Land (2003, so this has got Queens of the Stone Age and Massive Attack all over it. Better).

UNKLE- Where The Night Falls (this year! Which means collaborations with Black Angels and Sleepy Sun, and a mix of psych rock and 80s electro-gothiness. Their best yet, then. All this in preperation for seeing The Heritage Orchestra "re-imagining" UNKLE'S greatest hits at the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill last night. Which was actually really good).

The Lowland Hundred- Under Cambrian Skies (Ace Welsh pastoral piano psych strangeness).

The Icicle Works- S/T

David Crosby- If I Could Only Remember My Name

Hawklords- 25 Years On (Did The Only Ones take their name from the track of the same name? And did Bowie rip off 'Dead Dreams of a Cold War Kid' for 'Fashion'? They're very similar, and I know Simon House jumped ship to play on Lodger after this record- and that 'Yassassin' sounds very like 'Hassan I Sabha' on Quark, Strangeness and Charm. Any thoughts?).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index