39 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2010, 09:32
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 July 2010 CE
Jul 11, 2010, 09:25
FGTH - Welcome To The Pleasuredome (Fruitness Mix)
ZTT remixes were often somewhat hit and miss affairs but marrying a classic Slave To The Rhythm style mix to a completely straight-faced Geoffrey "Butterflies" Palmer reading Friedrich Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy was a masterstroke. A genius record from the time when pop could be serious and silly rather than dumb and dumber.

Tanja Donelly - Beautysleep
My tolerance for the kind of late 80s / early 90s indie rock and dream pop witterings that 4AD were so fond of signing is fairly limited but this is a really lovely record. Surprising like the last couple of Maria McKee solo albums. Goes to support my theory that a lot of artists need two or three decent kicks at a career before they find their voice and hit their stride.

The Tubes - s/t
A satirical Prog / Glam / Fusion masterpiece. Scissor Sisters meets Zoot Allures era Frank Zappa.

Yes - Close To The Edge
Their last truly flawless studio effort and an album that is still connected to the vicious r&b / psych drive of the Yes Album. The ambition is mind boggling and, truth to tell, a bit exhausting at times but And You And I is still one of the prettiest pieces of music to come out of the 70s rock enormo bands, Siberian Khatru one of Prog's finest pieces of arranging. Largely fusion-free and gorgeous melodies all the way. Probably Jon Anderson's least awful set of lyrics too. So what's not to like?

Chris Spedding - Wild In The Street
Mick Ronson - Slaughter On 10th Avenue
The Members - At The Chelsea Night Club
John Zorn - Naked City
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index