IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2010, 12:03
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 July 2010 CE
Jul 11, 2010, 10:37
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Very mainstream listening for me this week, including:

Queen 'Queen': It occurred to me this week that this fine debut album has enriched my life for nearly four decades, and I've never tired of it. Despite the ridicule I risk upon myself, I feel an Unsung review coming on....;

You should! The first two albums are both brilliant. Barely a note wasted. They came in for a lot of stick at school because of the number of rock-fan-come-lately kids who went straight from sub Rollers bubblegum to Queen without serving their Glam apprenticeship and doing the whole Bowie/Bolan/Mott thing. Same thing happened with Supertramp a little while later. The Prog Rock band with nearly all the Prog and most of the Rock taken out. I remember a load of kids coming back to school after that summer holiday newly converted to rock music via Nicky Horne playing the crap out of Crime of the Century before it came out. IIRC a lot of those same kids went from there to the likes of War of the Worlds, The Wall, Zappa and Weather Report without ever stopping off for any of the dirty fingernails stuff of Punk or Metal. Anyway .... with the benefit of hindsight Queen made a tonne of great records and that first album is definitely Unsung material.

Good call on the Gould, the Karajan Mahler 9 and "Stay" too. That Mahler 9 is wonderful. Never understood a preference for the live recording. Nothing wrong with the mainstream. It's the hardest place to do good work.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2010, 10:54
Jul 11, 2010, 10:48
Mute Beat: Japanese Dub & various ( thanks Gnomon )

Love: Love/Da Capo/Forever Changes/Four Sail

Camper Van Beethoven: CVB/Telephone Free Landslide Victory

Donovan: Sunshine Superman/Mellow Yellow/Sutras

Zombies: Odessey and Oracle

MC5: Big Bang

Richard Thompson: Sweet Warrior

Dr John: Gris Gris

Quicksilver Messenger Service: Happy Trails

Sibelius: The Symphonies

Anne Briggs: The Collection

Van Der Graaf Generator: The Box comp.

Pentangle: Pentangle/Basket of Light/Sweet Child/Cruel Sister/Reflection/Solomon's Seal

Boards Of Canada: Music Has The Right To Have Children
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 12:25
Fitter Stoke wrote:

the godawful 'Golden Years'.

Wha??????????????????
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 12:33
keith a wrote:
Fitter Stoke wrote:

the godawful 'Golden Years'.

Wha??????????????????

I love Young Americans and Golden Years myself.
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 12:38
Oh yeah! Just played Golden Years in fact after reading Fitter's comment. What a glorious funky 45. It's adorable!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 15:25
Free – Highway

Deep Purple – Burn

Tangerine Dream – Ricochet, Stratosfear

Black Tempest – Proxima

Jodis – Secret House

SunnO))) – White 1 & 2

Rory Gallagher – Irish Tour 74

Cult – Love Box

Current 93 – Thunder Perfect Mind, Baalstorm Sings Omega, Aleph At Hallucinatory Mountain

Pandora’s Box – Original Sin

Fuzztones –Leave Your Mind At Home, Live In Europe

Gaye Bykers On Acid – Drill Your Own Hole, Everything’s Groovy EP

PIL – Plastic Box

Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream

Purple Outside – Mystery Lane

Green River – Dry As A Bone-Rehab Doll

Caina – Temporary Antennea

V/A – The Songs of Bob Dylan

V/A – Woodstock 1 & 2

Last Of The Mohicans OST
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Jul 11, 2010, 17:26
Jul 11, 2010, 17:24
Well it's my birthday today, so yesterday I picked up a couple of records (vinyl...)

Fad Gadget -- Fireside Favorites. Almost didn't get it because one of the guys at the record shop (actually the guy who wrote the piece on the Rochester Jazz Fest I posted earlier in another thread...) tried to make a copy of it while I wasn't looking(!)

And this mysterious 12" by a band called the Thirty which I know nothing about. It came out in '87 on some label called "Exposed Brain". But only the A side is really good (marginally so) -- pretty much typical late-80 psych but seems more like an attempt to catch a major label's attention. Well it sounds vaguely like Brian Jonestown Massacre actually. The three tracks on the flipside are really nothing special and quite dull to say the least... Tried looking up the band on Google but only got some crummy pretty-boy alterna-rock band with the same name who I'll bet make the band on the 12" sound like 13th Floor Elevators in comparison...
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 17:46
Never liked it myself. Nor 'TVC15' for that matter. But to each their own and all that.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 17:54
Them- Rock Roots

Van Morrison- New York Sessions '67

Van Morrison- Moondance

The Stranglers- The Raven

Sonic Youth- Dirty (their much maligned 'pop' album- I hadn't listened to this in years but still say it sounds great and stands up with their best. I like the Yoof best when they mix the avant-garde experiments with a nod to bubblegum pop and rock- Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty are the 'classic' period for me).

UNKLE- Psyence Fiction (sounding badly dated to me- but then, what could be more 1996 than a record featuring DJ Shadow, Richard Ashcroft, Thom Yorke, Badly Drawn Boy, Ian Brown and The Beastie Boys).

UNKLE- Never Never Land (2003, so this has got Queens of the Stone Age and Massive Attack all over it. Better).

UNKLE- Where The Night Falls (this year! Which means collaborations with Black Angels and Sleepy Sun, and a mix of psych rock and 80s electro-gothiness. Their best yet, then. All this in preperation for seeing The Heritage Orchestra "re-imagining" UNKLE'S greatest hits at the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill last night. Which was actually really good).

The Lowland Hundred- Under Cambrian Skies (Ace Welsh pastoral piano psych strangeness).

The Icicle Works- S/T

David Crosby- If I Could Only Remember My Name

Hawklords- 25 Years On (Did The Only Ones take their name from the track of the same name? And did Bowie rip off 'Dead Dreams of a Cold War Kid' for 'Fashion'? They're very similar, and I know Simon House jumped ship to play on Lodger after this record- and that 'Yassassin' sounds very like 'Hassan I Sabha' on Quark, Strangeness and Charm. Any thoughts?).
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 18:42
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Never liked it myself. Nor 'TVC15' for that matter. But to each their own and all that.

Yep. Mind you I like TVC15, too, even though I can understand why some folk might consider it somewhat throwaway.
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index