Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 11 July 2010 CE
Jul 11, 2010, 22:38
LP’S
HEY! – Bo Diddley
Two cd set (S/T and Go Bo Diddley) that I picked up dirt cheap recently. Enjoying it!

THERE IS LOVE IN YOU - Four Tet
I’m liking this album a lot. This Unfolds is lovely.

ALPINISMS – School Of Seven Bells
I was fortunate enough to catch them in a 150 capacity in a pub basement in Stoke Newington the other night. Just seven – appropriately enough! – numbers, mainly off the forthcoming new album which could be a bit of a cracker. And it’s always good to hear this one again. Some top toons!

GOIN’ BACK: THE VERY BEST OF... – Dusty Springfield
The Queen of Pop. I love her!

HOUSE OF BINARY – Wisdom Of Harry
As an album this is pretty much all over the place – my wife asked if this was still the same album at one point! – but there are some really interesting numbers here.

Also...
S/T – David G Cox
FAUST IS LAST – Faust
PLASTIC BEACH – Gorillaz
KOYO – Junkboy
THE VERY BEST OF... – Mott The Hoople
S/T – The Ramones
SPECULATION – To Rococo Rot
BRUSSELLS 1973 – Rolling Stones
THE GREATEST HIT – Teardrop Explodes
NATTY REBEL - U-Roy

45’S
EAST EASY RIDER – Julian Cope
BONNIE & CLYDE – Georgie Fame
NEW WORLD ORDER – Ministry
GOOD THING GOING – Sugar Minot
IT’S A GOOD THING – That Petrol Emotion
GOOD THING – The Woodentops
NEON HEARTS EP – X Lion Tamer
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 23:28
I think I just about got away with doing an Unsung review of Elton John's debut LP, so there really is nothing to stop you serving up Queen's first for reappraisal. Tempted to do Queen II myself. Prog-Metal with the occasional nod to The Beach Boys. Don't think anyone else has done anything quite like it, at least not with such flair.

Good call on Rubber Soul. Songs such as 'Drive My Car' and 'The Word' proved that The Beatles could cook up a groove with the best of them. The intro to 'Drive My Car' is possibly the best opening few seconds to an album EVER! (I'm always tempted to immediately skip the needle back to the start so that I can hear it again) and, along with Beatles For Sale, it sounds particularly great pumping out of my old scratched mono vinyl.
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 23:40
Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge (original mix rather than Oldfield's subsequent remixes)

Pink Floyd - Meddle

The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA (their purest surfing album, half full of instrumentals including a couple of great Dick Dale covers)

Genesis - And Then There Were Three (the band don't seem to particularly rate this one, but it is packed full of great musical ideas, including the aggressively strange time signature of opening song 'Down & Out' and the Tony Banks melodic tour-de-force 'Burning Rope').

C.O.B. - Moyshe McStiff and the Tartan Lancers of the Sacred Heart

Kraftwerk - 1 & 2 (played off a battered old Vertigo double vinyl with spaceship labels. The second album, with its avant garde 'padding', already feels like their Neu!2 even when the needle doesn't jump all over the place)

Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come (just love 'Sandman Song' with its gorgeous melody and spooky references to UFO sitings out at sea)

Madness - Absolutely (new deluxe reissue - amazing value and a textbook example of how these things should be done)

Deep Purple - Fireball (always liked this more than Machine Head)

Paul Simon - The Rhythm Of The Saints (this album seemed to get dismissed as an inferior rehash of 'Graceland' but I love it more. Some haunting songs and outstanding contributions from the Brazilian collaborators, especially Milton Naskimento on 'Spirit Voices')
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 23:42
keith a wrote:
HOUSE OF BINARY – Wisdom Of Harry
As an album this is pretty much all over the place – my wife asked if this was still the same album at one point! – but there are some really interesting numbers here.

Great album, I remember that really fondly. Will dig it out tomorrow, thanks for the reminder, top shout.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Re: Close To The Edge
Jul 11, 2010, 23:45
I totally agree with all that's been said about this classic and am now going to play it on 11 as the weekend comes to a close. Btw, Close to the Edge is the main ringtone on my cellphone... Starship Trooper my alternate.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2010, 00:07
Jul 12, 2010, 00:06
Turntable fixed. LP fiesta! Mostly LP's I've recently acquired . . .

RARE EARTH - ONE WORLD (and also got the double live one which I haven't listened to yet)

ARGENT - ALL TOGETHER NOW (their debut)

BEBOP DELUXE - DRASTIC PLASTIC (just need "Futurama" and I will have them all!)

SPECIALS - MORE SPECIALS (classic)

STEVIE WONDER - FULFILLINGNESS' FIRST FINALE (quite disappointing -- this was the follow up to the masterpiece "Innervisions"??!)

STEVIE WONDER - JOURNEY THROUGH THE SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS (until wife told me to take that horrible shit off! This is certainly his weirdest LP.)

JEAN MICHEL JARRE - OXYGENE (the disco Vangelis)

MICHAEL NESMITH & THE 2nd NATIONAL BAND - TANTAMOUNT TO TREASON (Very interesting phased-out space country pop. Best Nesmith record I've come across.)

SPIRIT - SON OF SPIRIT (1975 comeback album -- holy shit, there's some great tunes on here! Equal to their 1968-1970 stuff.)

JONI MITCHELL - LADIES OF THE CANYON (might become my newest fascination; just reading up on her discog at wiki, and I got to find "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" to hear the 16 minute track "Paprika Plains"!)

ISAAC HAYES - JOY (seems to be the last of his classic run of LP's, 1969-1973)

EARTH WIND & FIRE - THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD (their breakthrough with "Shining Star"; weirder & better than expected, perhaps cuz it's a movie soundtrack.)

ROGER - THE SAGA CONTINUES (1984 solo joint by R. Troutman the genius from ZAPP -- not to be confused with UK funk band of same name)

BUTTERFIELD BLUES BAND - EAST-WEST (for the classic title track)

CANNED HEAT - LIVE AT TOPANGA CORAL (vintage 1967 Henry Vestine, but a cheapo "stereomonic" record.)

THE HOLLYRIDGE STRINGS - THE BEATLES SONGBOOK (famous easy listening versions of early Beatle tunes)

OHIO PLAYERS - GREATEST HITS (on Westbound meaning it's the real early years -- not as good as I'd hoped, pretty much the only ace track is "Funky Worm")

THE TRAMMPS - DISCO INFERNO (title track 11 minute mastermix)

ISLEY BROTHERS - THE HEAT IS ON (includes "Fight The Power"; all the Ernie Isley era "3+3" band's records are worth a listen.)

LOVIN SPOONFUL - EVERYTHING PLAYING (classic 60's pop but also lame jugband filler. Thinking man's bubblegum?)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jul 12, 2010, 00:37
Nico + the Faction - Camera Obscura
Eric Random - Subliminal 1980-82
Stan Tracey Quartet - Senior Moment
Tower of Power - Urban Renewal
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
Section 25 - Charnel Ground/ Haunted
Minny Pops - Time/ Lights
Tele:Funken - Collection of ice cream vans vol 1

Have a good week

8)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Jul 12, 2010, 08:59
Son of Spirit is a great album, I love it.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 12, 2010, 15:31
And "Queen II" is one of the most gloriously, delriously, brilliantly bonkers albums ever! Their subsequent chart ubiquity and hugeness kind of overshadowed just what fertile imaginations were at work in the early days. And just how heavy they could be!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 12, 2010, 15:47
Hail! \m/

Prince -20Ten. Love it! Another artist that's gone to revisit some of the sonics of their past to good-time effect. Drum machines and skinny-tie synths that recall the Dirty Mind/1999 era and some of the fonkiest stuff he's done in a while. Stripped back, old skool purpleisms abound. (On the 'secret' track he even describes himself as a 'purple Yoda'! Ha!) The most fun Prince album in ages.

Prince - 3121. A superior Prince album of the recent years. Some lush arrangements hallmarking his 'jazz' period.

Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On! Non-essential but fun sleaze-rock n roll.

Velvet Revolver - Contraband. Good, solid heavy rock n roll. Slash is one of those dudes with a classic sound that handles the 'new' with aplomb.

Edgar Froese - Aqua. Nice ambi-bubblings

Worm Orobouros - S/T Loving this metal tinged folky-ambi atmos heavy tunage

Robyn - Body Talk pt 1. Scando pop pixie lushment.

Stefan Grappelli & Django Reinhardt - At the Hot Club, Paris (2 cd). Utterly joyous stuff.

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know. Tony Iommi always comes over in interviews as a quietly spoken, man-of-few-words type and I've sussed out why. It's cos most of his brain is given over to concentrate on being an awesome, riff-generator. I mean, it's amazing really.

Aliens - Astronomy for Dogs. Splendid!

Rush - Signals. I do love this old thing.

Plus a lot of the stuff from last weeks list

Have a nice week sound slurpers! x
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index