Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sun Of Bytch
Sun Of Bytch
143 posts

Edited Jul 14, 2010, 07:24
Re: When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?
Jul 14, 2010, 07:21
Spring 1983 in 10th grade. Living in the rural US, was at a chain record store and looking for something to buy, saw Wilder in the racks and was intrigued by the band name and the mysterious sleeve (over here it had the b&w "hands" cover and purple writing), and bought it blind. I loved the wobbly opening of Bent Out of Shape, played it again and again and again . Here I am today.

ps-I still always play the tracks in the order of the American edition, with And the Fighting Takes Over as track four side 1 and Pure Joy and Falling Down Around Me as tracks four and five on side 2. Just can't have it the UK "flower cover" way.
keith a
9573 posts

Jul 14, 2010, 09:12
I think side 2 of the UK edition of Wilder is one of the most perfect sides on a piece of vinyl EVER, so I wouldn't want that altered at all. Especially not to include Pure Joy which along with East Of The Equator is my least fave TX track!

It all comes down to what you heard first, doesn't it? First girlfriend syndrome agan! ; )
MARTASE
MARTASE
603 posts

Jul 14, 2010, 10:05
Totally agree Keith.... didnt realise the US version was different- sacrilege!
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Jul 14, 2010, 10:15
In the early summer of '97, i was 17. I remember first reading about him on Jim DeRogatis's Kaleidoscope Eyes book (supposedly about 'psychedelic' music.) and found him very intriguing (there was the picture of him with the 'mohawk' crawling on some mound!). I'd just took some acid for the first time(s), was listening to Doors, Velvets, Joy Div, Wire etc. and was just discovering Syd's Floyd, Elevators, MC5, Stooges & Funkadelic + The Kraut side of things etc etc. So when i found Floored Genius it soon led me to get Interpreter (which was the freshest of his releases i could find in here. Also at the same time remember browsing KRS at Digelius record store in Helsinki while listening to Cosmic Jokers cd's and remember reading from there that 'Schwingungen' was a life changing experience for him and being way impressed/convinced. I tried to buy the book from there after awhile but it was already gone. Fortunately found it later..). And i was a goner after that, i started to chronologically collect all the albums. Then around 2000 i found this site and ordered a big box of stuff that i didn't yet have (inc. Modern Antiquarian and Head-On/Repossessed). And then, started to check out the AOTM's after coupla years.
There was no return...
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Jul 14, 2010, 10:59
This !

Jumping around the front room like a nutjob wearing a tea towel round me neck !!

Then this

He's standing on the pinano !!!!

I was 12.I still jump around like a nutjob wearing a tea towel. But now the tea towel I use once belonged to Julian.

;o)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Jul 14, 2010, 11:07
neighbourofthedrude wrote:
This !

Jumping around the front room like a nutjob wearing a tea towel round me neck !!

Then this

He's standing on the pinano !!!!

I was 12.I still jump around like a nutjob wearing a tea towel. But now the tea towel I use once belonged to Julian.

;o)

The fabulous Lost Tea Towel of St Julian???? That should be in a museum, in a glass case. I'll start a campaign "Save the Lost Tea Towel For The Nation".
Andfurthermoreagain
Andfurthermoreagain
696 posts

Jul 14, 2010, 11:12
I've read a few posts on here that seem to confirm that with people like Cope, its not just a case of getting turned onto his music only but the avenues of discovery he also seems to open up for people. I can safely say that just through Peggy Suicide and Fried (the first 2 JC records I bought and in that order) plus interviews and comparisons in the music press at the time I ended up with glorius shopping lists, bands whose names alone suggested investigation was an essential action (13th Floor Elevators, Amon Duul II, The Velvet Undergound, Sly & The Family Stone etc, etc etc) - and that was just a start.
And not just Cope but The Spacemen 3, Stone Roses and other contempories of the early 90s with a seriously eclectic line in influence. All part of my musical evolution but definitely and undeniably Julian was the biggest revelation and the instigation of my most satisfying discoveries.
I remember the unbridled joy of finding a copy of The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators in Eastern Bloc records - for anyone new to Manchester, Eastern Bloc once actually had a great psychedelic/garage section - totally different from the 'garage' they sell now.
I could rave all day about this but in no uncertain terms, had I not witnessed that performance of Beautiful Love on Jonathan Ross, had I not had enough money that week for Peggy Suicide.....damn it, I wonder just what my record collection would look like today. Shudder to think.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Jul 14, 2010, 11:23
My earliest Julian memory is hearing Poppies on John Peel and being quite mesmerised by it, but I was a heavy metal boy and that was my tribe then and for some years after. The St. Julian singles registered, particularly via the Wogan appearance, but it was Peggy material that really sounded interesting. When I met lovely Bryony in 1992, she had an awesome collection of Teardrops/Cope stuff and I knew I'd found somewhere that felt like me. Then Jehovakill happened...
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Jul 14, 2010, 11:38
Vybik Jon wrote:
My earliest Julian memory is hearing Poppies on John Peel and being quite mesmerised by it, but I was a heavy metal boy and that was my tribe then and for some years after. The St. Julian singles registered, particularly via the Wogan appearance, but it was Peggy material that really sounded interesting. When I met lovely Bryony in 1992, she had an awesome collection of Teardrops/Cope stuff and I knew I'd found somewhere that felt like me. Then Jehovakill happened...

:o)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Jul 14, 2010, 11:48
I remember hearing Wilder when it first came out, tripping off my face in a shared student house in Bounds Green. Spangly!

It wasn't until much later that I made a connection with the solo stuff, however. I was in another shared house with a bunch of Scottish folk who I was in a band with, and my friend Bill played me Fried (a while after its release) and I was smitten.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index