Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2010, 16:48
When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?
Jul 09, 2010, 16:47
Year, record, gig, book... whatever!

The first time I listen to Cope's music was in 1981, when Wilder came out. I've heard Passionate Friend on the radio and it was it!!!

Almost 30 years ago!!!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2010, 16:52
Re: When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?
Jul 09, 2010, 16:52
12 years old, seeing Reward on Top Of The Pops, Kilimanjaro and then the great lost psych pop genius classic that is Passionate Friend, Wilder and then onwards! I have been sidetracked occassionaly over the following years, due to different musical excavations, but you never lose Julian, do you.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 16:55
Hearing "Reward" on the radio and seeing the video on telly when I was at school put Cope on the map for me, but it wasn't til the "Saint Julian" album that I started buying stuff and it was "Peggy Suicide" that made me a devotee from thereon in.
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 17:08
1979, when my brother - 8 years older than me and gainfully employed with Merseyside County Council, which was very handy for getting access to new music - brought home the 'Sleeping Gas' EP.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 17:20
Aged 11 with "Reward" on Top of the Pops, I can remember thinking at the time that I'd never heard anything else that sounded as modern as that record to my little inexperienced ears, thought I'd just heard the future, the naivety of youth eh
Lawrence
9547 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2010, 18:21
Jul 09, 2010, 18:20
Carlos wrote:
Year, record, gig, book... whatever!

The first time I listen to Cope's music was in 1981, when Wilder came out. I've heard Passionate Friend on the radio and it was it!!!

Almost 30 years ago!!!

Almost the same thing here, except it was "Treason".
keith a
9570 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 19:57
A mate told me about the Sleeping Gas ep. He'd heard them on Peel and bought the ep afterwards.

I then heard Camera Camera on Peel myself and liked it. Bought the ep and saw them very soon afterwards when they played narby supported by the Bunnymen. Got there early and caught some of the TX impressive sound-check, watched E&TB play a blinder and wondered how the Teardrops were gonna be able to follow that. But they did... ; )
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 20:02
"Reward" on the radio (primary school, I liked Adam & The Ants more), "WSYM" on the radio, for some reason always linked in my mind with The The's "Heartland", must have been on the radio at the same time. "Eve's Volcano" was probably the first one I really paid attention to, then "Charlotte Anne" was the first one I actually bought (aged 15).

Bought everything from then on (except a couple of the obscurer mail order ones), as well as going backwards.
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2010, 20:09
Jul 09, 2010, 20:09
Seeing 'World shut your mouth' on TOTPs one evening and I recall my Dad making some dismissive comment! Then that was it for many a year as I recall only being aware of him from a distance - I kinda had him pegged as 80s Syd Barret acolyte. That all changed when I decided to buy the KRS around 97 and really loved the style of that book which in turn introduced me to his music
spacecat
57 posts

Jul 09, 2010, 20:21
1980 - At school I remember seeing 'The Teardrop Explodes' scrawled on a post but never heard anything until 'Reward' hit the charts (which was the best record I'd ever heard and not bought).
I was stuck in hospital later that year and, while listening to hospital radio with the headhones on, they played 'When I Dream' - and that was it!!
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index