Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: When did you get in touch with Julian Cope music?
Jul 10, 2010, 15:11
'Treason' in 1980, just as I started my student years - though it was 'Books' on the other side that really won me over to the Cope cause.
CraigR
CraigR
479 posts

Jul 10, 2010, 16:14
Just after 'Live in Leeds' came out around 1971.

Sorry.
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Jul 10, 2010, 17:57
Just sat? No talking?
vince
vince
1628 posts

Jul 10, 2010, 17:59
Carlos wrote:
Just sat? No talking?

He seemed at peace with himself. I didn't want to bother him ;-)
Carlos
Carlos
3884 posts

Jul 10, 2010, 19:10
Ah, ok! ;-)
thekremlin
132 posts

Jul 10, 2010, 20:48
the daft thing about this for me is that i can't put my finger on it. i think it was just on peggy suicide but i think probably 1991. seem to remember one particular acid-y evening and someone putting on las vegas basement... but i really don't know if i was into him before that or not. its all lost in the mists of time. i feel like i've always been into julian's music which is weird cos i don't think that about anyone else. i can pretty much remember the first time for all the other biggies.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 10, 2010, 21:39
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
I really liked Charlotte Anne when that came out; and then that infamous Star Test interview!

Oh yeah, forgotten that! He was a bone-fide star, as well.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Jul 10, 2010, 22:43
Jul 10, 2010, 22:42
Saturday 19th June 1987

I was sitting on a bank in front of the main stage at Glastonbury and was happy as a sandboy, too chilled out to move ,I thought I'll see what that goon from the Teardrops is up to these days, an hour later I was converted

I think this set list shows why
1. The Culture Bunker 04:51
2. Trampolene 03:22
3. Pulsar 02:42
4. Eve's Volcano 03:39
5. Strasbourg 03:11
6. Saint Julian 02:43
7. Non Alignment Pact 02:42
8. Bouncing Babies 02:08
9. Planet Ride 05:11
10. Books 02:44
11. Shot Down 03:49
12. Spacehopper 02:43
13. Zabriskie Point 04:02
14. World Shut Your Mouth 04:05
15. Reynard The Fox 10:21

He had the big climbing frame mike stand, and the set was astounding, but Reynard was out of this world, In 87 you didn't get 10 min rock freakouts as encores, and certainly not ones as good as that, been a fan ever since, certainly the high point of the weekend which also had brilliant sets by That Petrol Emotion,New order & Elvis Costello and a not so good but the reason I went set by Husker Du

even revised my opinion on the Teardrops but still think his solo stuff is way better
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Jul 10, 2010, 23:51
I was really fortunate to hear him on John Peel in 1979. I was having a sulkly 15 year old teenage moment and laying on my bed, fed up with something, listening to Peel. I heard Teardrop and was wowed out - can't remember if it was a session or Sleeping Gas single. I loved the music and the sound of the vocalist. I leapt off the bed to write down who it was. Couldn't stop listening to Peel to hear more and

I could never work out from the singles which one was Cope and was still not quite convinced when Kilimanjaro came out though thought it might be the one at the front (doh).

Was hooked right from the word go. Memory is vague from those years but do remember spending my Saturday job money on the singles and and not eating for a few weeks (saving my lunch money) to buy a ticket to see Teardrop live.
Ascorpius
Ascorpius
82 posts

Jul 11, 2010, 00:18
Bless my cotton socks it was Reward on TOTPs that made me sit up and listen, I remember buying the album and playing it to my wife (then girlfriend). She just looked at me totally bewildered, "you don't even like that kind of music" she said. In a way she was right but it was the lyrics that captured my imagination. Perhaps Peggy is his finest hour but LP&F is by far my favourite album (along with about 45 others)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index