Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 13 June 2010 CE

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jane Weaver
Jun 14, 2010, 10:27
Hmm.. Cherlokalate; after 2 further listens still seems pretty run-of-the-mill to me. If I were you mate, I'd go on iTunes or somewhere and try before you buy, as it seems mostly standard fare to me. I think we're witnessing an artist come into her own on the recent releases.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Re: Jane Weaver
Jun 14, 2010, 11:10
Thanks for the heads-up, it's appreciated. I'll do some research on-line before committing myself further.

Did play that '97(!) single this morning BTW, an excellent slab of chunky guitar driven Brit-Popish kinda thing it is too. One of the B-sides, Slow Song, is reminiscent of her new material though so was pleased to rediscover it.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 13 June 2010 CE
Jun 14, 2010, 11:17
OMD - Organisation. John the Baptist to LCD Soundsystem's Jesus.

The latest LCD Soundsystem album has me thinking that it's the kind of record that Bowie might have made had he gone, not to Berlin with Eno, but to New York with Moroder. I like it a lot!

:o)
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Jun 14, 2010, 13:02
Just ordered a couple of earlier albums because they were cheap on Amazon:

-Like an aspen leaf
-We are modern

I'll let you know what they're like as soon as they arrive, mate.

Her 7 Day Smile album had this blurb which was news to me:

"...Serving her apprenticeship in the mid-nineties girl-guitar-pop outfit Kill Laura, Weaver would go on to front Twisted Nerve's Misty Dixon and release her critically acclaimed solo mini-album, "Like An Aspen Leaf".

• It was, however, somewhere in-between that she secured a record deal with Mancunian music maverick Rob Gretton's Manchester Records. Working and playing live with the likes of Andy Votel, Badly Drawn Boy and Doves, the latter would help her to record a number of acclaimed singles and a debut solo album. However, when Rob Gretton sadly died his label went with him and the album never saw the light of day - until now!

• At last, available for the first time on the brand new Cherry Red Records imprint, Bird Records, "Seven Day Smile" – Jane Weaver's debut album proper featuring the effable talents of Doves as backing band ...
... and production from Andy Votel (Twisted Nerve). "

Had heard of both Kill Laura and Misty Dixon, and had no idea she fronted both. I did hear a rumour (and that may be all it is) that she and Andy Votel were romantically linked. D'ya know owt about that mate?

The thick plottens...
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Jun 14, 2010, 13:35
Jonathan Beckett - She’s a Vampire
Downloadable ep from Occultation the Wild Swan people. 3 songs each better than the last, and the first is good. Namechecks the Wild Swans, Soft Boys, Pere Ubu etc and the whole thing kind of has melancholia for that era. Epic, witty and lush. I love it.

Jeni & Billy - Longing for Heaven
Charming appalachianana via Nashville Tennesee. Single girls and conmen preachers figure.
Banjo players: They spend half their lives tuning, and the other half playing out of tune. thankyouverymuch.

Lucinda Williams - Essence
Been meaning to get this since i heard a track on Irish Radio (via me freesat) and the guitars sounded like I always want Quicksilver Messenger Service to sound but they never quite do.

And I keep hearing Plan B and he sounds alright to me. Eminem meets Marvin Gaye anybody?
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Jun 14, 2010, 14:08
Talking Heads - The Name Of This Band Is.....
Talking Heads - Best of Comp

(both of which have made me belatedly investigate them further by ordering Fear Of Music & Remain In Light. I think I might get Speaking In Tongues as well)

LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening and the Freak Out/Starry Eyes 12"
Dead Weather - Sea Of Cowards
Dillard & Clark - Fantastic Expedition Of....
Funkadelic - Live At Meadowbrook '71
Moon Duo - Escape
Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
Al Green - Greatest Hits
Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - White Lunar

in the post: Sun Araw - On Patrol
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jun 14, 2010, 14:17
Gnomon wrote:
it's the kind of record that Bowie might have made had he gone, not to Berlin with Eno, but to New York with Moroder.

That's what Drunk Girls reminds me of: Boys Keep Swinging! Thanks for that. From the cursory listen I gave it, I also remember thinking one of the tracks was lifted from Nightclubbing.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jun 14, 2010, 16:09
Mostly the same as last week but with added...

Blur - Leisure
Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish.

Enjoyed checking those two out again as it had been awhile. I'd watched the "Blur: No Distance Left To Run" documentary and felt a bit nostalgic. Funny thing whilst watching it though; it occured to me that Graham Coxon sounds uncannily like Spinal Tap's Nigel Tuffnel when he's speaking. Really put a weird slant on watching the prog.

Also had a blast of...

Shitmat - Grooverider. Discombobulated drum n bass mentalism

Robyn - Robyn. Scando electro-pop perfection.

Kylie - X

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Motorhead - Motorizer. Rock out! With your cock out! (impress your lady friends) haha.

The Frost - Milliontown. Nouveaux pomp prog bombast

Squarepusher - Feed me Weird Things.

Benga - Diary of an Afro Warrior.

Carnivore - Carnivore. Late 80's thrash.

Have a nice week Tune Tasters x
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jun 14, 2010, 16:11
various later bob dylan albums and giving them a more thorourth listen ive been enjoying them too although general blues does not normally do a lot for me
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Jun 15, 2010, 13:14
mingtp wrote:
Just ordered a couple of earlier albums because they were cheap on Amazon:

-Like an aspen leaf
-We are modern

I'll let you know what they're like as soon as they arrive, mate.

Her 7 Day Smile album had this blurb which was news to me:

"...Serving her apprenticeship in the mid-nineties girl-guitar-pop outfit Kill Laura, Weaver would go on to front Twisted Nerve's Misty Dixon and release her critically acclaimed solo mini-album, "Like An Aspen Leaf".

• It was, however, somewhere in-between that she secured a record deal with Mancunian music maverick Rob Gretton's Manchester Records. Working and playing live with the likes of Andy Votel, Badly Drawn Boy and Doves, the latter would help her to record a number of acclaimed singles and a debut solo album. However, when Rob Gretton sadly died his label went with him and the album never saw the light of day - until now!

• At last, available for the first time on the brand new Cherry Red Records imprint, Bird Records, "Seven Day Smile" – Jane Weaver's debut album proper featuring the effable talents of Doves as backing band ...
... and production from Andy Votel (Twisted Nerve). "

Had heard of both Kill Laura and Misty Dixon, and had no idea she fronted both. I did hear a rumour (and that may be all it is) that she and Andy Votel were romantically linked. D'ya know owt about that mate?

The thick plottens...

Thanks for the info !

TBH, i'm as much in the dark as you. Despite having heard of both Kill Laura & Misty Dixon i don't think i've heard a single tune from either line-up so i can't really comment.

I was aware of Manchester Records being Rob Gretton's baby though, think that might have been one of the reasons i took a punt on the single when it was first out. Shame that the album was never released back then as i'm sure i'd have bought a copy whilst she remained on my radar. Unfortunately in my days pre-internet things used to fall off that radar too easily !

As for 7 Day Smile, i think i'm gonna have to get a copy of that. Opening tune on it is Slow Song ( which i have heard ) which is a gorgeous slow burner and not a million miles away in style from what she's doing now.

Moving on to relationships and stuff, this little article from The Quietus confirms your thoughts...

http://thequietus.com/articles/04418-jane-weaver-interview-the-fallen-by-watchbird

Despite having rather a large pile of new music to get through at the moment, it's her new one that's been getting all the attention and plays. It's a beautiful and original fully formed work that seems to come from somewhere 'other'. Admittedly this isn't the kinda thing i normally go for so it's hard for me to spot any influences but like all great records leaves me wanting more ( and you too it seems ! )
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index