Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 June 2010 CE

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 June 2010 CE
Jun 06, 2010, 17:08
Of that discog list, the essentials are Solar Bridge, Allegory of Allergies, The Overlook, Emeralds (the second self-titled from '09), What Happened? & Does It Look Like I'm Here? .

Beyond that, their side-projects are more interesting than the rest of their releases. Haven't heard much of Hauschildt but can vouch for John Elliott's stuff, under the names Lilypad, Outer Space & Imaginary Softwoods (especially the latter). However, best of all is Mark McGuire, the guitarist. He some superb releases - 'Pocket Full of Rain' & 'Tidings/Amethyst Waves' in particular. OH, and make sure to check out Skyramps & their Days of Thunder release. Lineup is Mark McGuire of Emeralds & Dan Lopatin of OPN. Quality stuff.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 17:57
ta for the info

this ''Skyramps & their Days of Thunder release. Lineup is Mark McGuire of Emeralds & Dan Lopatin of OPN. Quality stuff.'' looks good, another miniscule self release it seems, time to trawl the blogs again
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 19:02
Ah Broadcast and the Focus Group! Coulda and shoulda included them on my list this week and just about every week. Possibly one of the trippiest albums I've purchased in a long while (no easy feat) and to my ears anyway one of the most psychedelic. I like it much better than any of the other Broadcast stuff I've heard.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 19:16
yes - yes a captured timepiece ok
time and a word - interesting in the hit n miss of the orchestral vibe
yes album - not how i remembered it and far better for it after all these years
fragile - not really a full album of such but not bad
close to the edge - to my mind yes peaked on the yes album but then i was brought up on it
anderson bruford wakeman howe - awful
jon anderson - olias mmm dunno but is better than i remembered
chris squire - fish out of water - not that bad after all but not really any good either
ok next!
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 19:21
My friend John accompanied me to the Trad Gras gig in Penryn Cornwall, and recorded proceedings. I pointed him in the direction of that blogspot and whilst he thought the recordings were quite good, insists that his were of better sonic quality. So if you want a copy?
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 19:23
one of the best albums I've heard in a while
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2010, 08:53
Jun 06, 2010, 20:34
Not had too much listening time this week, but I did manage the following:

The Beatles - The White Album

Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Fairport Convention - What We Did On Our Holidays

V/A - The Ballad Of Britain (got this and the accompanying book for my birthday. Journalist Will Hodgkinson toured Britain making field recordings of various singers great and unknown performing in their natural environment. A great idea, inspired by the fact that technology has put music back in the hands of the people).

The Fall - 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong: 39 Golden Greats (actually, a companion volume compiled especially for me by my brother).

Wishbone Ash - Argus (seeing them perform this at the High Voltage Festival next month. As it had already been recommended to me by my workmate Graham from the band Yeti, I thought I ought to get to know it. Liked it very much on the first listen).
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 20:48
Ear infection cleared up, time to start working on another one.

The Movements - The World, The Flesh & The Devil/For Sardines Space Is No Problem (Finally got my hands on The World... Only given it one listen so far, but I'm in no way disappointed. I still think I'll end up preferring Sardines, but they're both must listens for space-rock and garage fans)

V.A. Songs We Taught the Fuzztones (There's a lot of competition, but I think this might be my favourite '60s garage comp)

V.A. One Kiss Can Lead to Another: Girl Group Sounds (Basically the female equivalent to all this garage music I've been blasting recently. Teenage awkwardness abounds)

Vainica Doble - S/T (Hazy, child-like Spanish psyche-folk)

Pylon - Gyrate (Stut-stut-stuttering dance-punk from Georgia)

The Innocence Mission - Birds of My Neighborhood (I really needed something to bring me down from the stratosphere after that Cope gig, and this LP gave me just the gentle comedown I needed to sleep)

The Fall Peel Sessions (I'll admit, I can only listen to a couple of sessions at a time before my eyes start going filmy, but I really love it in small doses)

Sun Ra - Disco 3000 (I wish Sun Ra would have made more LP's with that creepy-cosmic organ he uses here. Love this period of his career)

Katamari Fortissimo Datamacy Soundtrack (Happy fun time inside Japanese video game soundtrack!!! This is no lie.)

Can - Future Days (I wonder if Cope is still so dogmatic when it comes to this LP. It's not my fave Can album, but it's still a really beautiful thing)

Jowe Head - Pincer Movement. (Weird-wave, catchy, dubby lo-fi gems from the ex-Swell Maps bass man. Up there with The Jacobites as far as post-Maps projects go. Highly recommended)

Hampton Grease Band - Music to Eat (Very strange beast. I almost wish it was instrumental, but I don't think it'd be as unique a proposition without the singer's Mayo Thompson/Captain Beefheart-esque ramblings. The twin guitars on here kinda make them sound a little like a more fried Television. Why is it that America's truest, most Gonzo geniuses come from the South?)

Beach Boys - Smile boot (A strangely uplifting document of a man trying to take comfort in the little things as his mind starts to unravel around him)

Legendary Pink Dots - The Golden Age/Your Children Placate You From Premature Graves/Maria Dimension (I kinda like to think of Edward Ka-Spel as Genesis P-Orridge's less evil twin brother. They both have the lispy vocals and draw from a lot of the same psychedelic influences- Monks, Can etc.- and they're both pretty fucking prolific)

Alain Bashung - L'Imprudence (This guy's sort of like the French Scott Walker, I guess. Started out making forgettable chanson music in the '70s, but then made his own Tilt and The Drift with Fantasie Militaire and this)

V.A. - Back From the Grave Vol 1

Charlie Parker - Yardbird Suite

A few other things that I can't remember and some great dubby post-punk singles:

Vivien Goldman - Launderette

People in Control - When It's War
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 00:58
Funny thing about Wishbone Ash's Argus... Back in the very early 80s my twin brother and I shared a car and this car had an 8-track player. We scoured the area for decent 8-tracks and among the bunch that got most play (Humble Pie's Street Rats, Yes/ Tormato, Mike Oldfield's Hergest Ridge, ELP's Trilogy...) were 2 Wishbone Ash tapes... Argus and Locked In. We knew Argus was supposed to be their magnum opus but for various reasons neither of us much enjoyed it. I haven't heard it now in at least 25 years and think I need to relisten. Locked In however, which is widely considered a lesser Ash album left a big mark with me. I've had it on disc for ages and vinyl before that. It's a wonderful album with short but memorable songs and to me, when Wishbone Ash is mentioned, I think of tracks off it. I still remember also that it was a pink 8-track in a sea of blacks and whites.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 05:02
yes please, they seemed to be playing it off the cuff so it would be nice to see how much it differs, are we talking discs or mp3s? I'll drop you an e-mail tonight and we'll sort someething out, ta very much
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index