Jefferson Airplane : After Bathing At Baxter's

John Lee Hooker : Urban Blues
vince
vince
1628 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 June 2010 CE
Jun 06, 2010, 06:46
If I had a radio show it would look like this:

Talking Heads - Born under punches (Remain In Light)
Howlin' Wolf - Smokestack Lightnin' (This is Howlin' Wolf's New Album...)
Rolling Stones - Ventilator Blues (Exile On Main Street Remaster)
Faust - Feed The Greed (Faust Is Last)
Spooky Tooth - I Am The Walrus (The Last Puff)
Underworld - Scribble (Single)
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (Maggot Brain)
Seeland - Burning Pages (Tomorrow Today)
Holy Fuck - Grease Fire (+ Ghost)
LCD Soundsystem - All I Want (This Is Happening)
The Album Leaf - We Are (A Chorus of Storytellers)
The Band - Whispering Pines (The Band)
Fever Ray - When I Grow Up (Fever Ray)
MGMT - Someone's Missing (Congratulations)
Massive Attack - Paradise Circus (Gui Boratto Remix)
Chambers Brothers - Time Has Come Today (Time Has Come)
Foals - Spanish Sahara (Total Life Forever)
Jimi Hendrix - Bleeding Heart (Valleys of Neptune)
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2010, 06:53
Jun 06, 2010, 06:50
GONG - Live au Batclan 1973 / Live At Sheffield 1974 ( actually somewhere in France 1973 ) - Excellent quality live recordings of trilogy era band, nice replica LP sleeves too. Shame that the musicians don't get a bean in royalties from it though. Not recommended for Machinery Elves, mind.

HERE & NOW - Oxford Poly 18/6/77 - With guest appearance from Daevid Allen. Meetings made and seeds sown for the Floatin' Anarchy tour later in the year. 74 minutes of improvised spacey gliss jams, but hey, i like that kinda shit. 4th in a series of archival live releases and once again a remarkable salvage job done on the original source tape.

Kaftan to one side...

MAGIC LANTERN - Platoon - Just immense. Deffo contender for disc of the year.

SLEEPY SUN - Embrace - Top notch, nice sense of dynamics between the serene and the wild, er, and plenty of guitar freakouts, ooo yeah !

GNOD DROP OUT WITH WHITE HILLS 2 - Really enjoying this too but perhaps just a bit too much like Neu! at times ( i can't believe i just wrote that ! )

ROLLING STONES - Sticky Fingers ( alternate ) - Many thanks to the sender for this, only played it once so far but that play count's gonna go up. The fully formed mono mixes really are the biz ( if you're a fan, which i am ), dunno why but they just sound so spacious.

ROYAL TRUX - I'm Ready 7".

Happy listening Heads,

Mark x
Terryto
28 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 09:28
Bardo Pond - On The Ellipse
Father Yod - Kohoutek/Contraction
Floating Flower - 1st & 2nd
Six Organs of Admittance - Dust & Chimes
Grouper - Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill
Espers - II
Hash Jar Tempo - Under Glass
Flower/Corsano Duo - Radiant Mirror/The Chocolate Cities
Rangda - False Flag LP
The Sanctions/Jim & The Lords - Then Came The Electric Prunes LP
The Seeds - The Seeds LP
Drugstore - Drugstore LP
Chris Lucey - Songs of Protest & Anti-Protest
Beatles - old compilation tape
Pink Floyd - Masters of Rock/Piper LP's
Boris - Flood
Patti Smith - Horses - LP
V/A - Garage Punk Unknowns 4-LP Box set

Live
Rangda at Stereo in Glasgow
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2010, 19:30
Jun 06, 2010, 09:34
The Zombies : Odessey & Oracle (German Bonus Tracks)
Is there a better record to underscore an English summer's day?

Graham Parker & The Rumour : Live At Marble Arch
Early live-in-the-studio set. Arguably a better representation of The Rumour on stage than either of the first two studio albums or the live one.

Elvis Costello : Imperial Bedroom & Blood and Chocolate
Elvis Presley : King Creole
Black Tempest : Proxima

Shelby Lynne : I Am Shelby Lynne
A fantastic Country-Got-Soul record with enough of that "Dusty In Memphis" magic to lift this out of the very good category into the essential. If Al Green transmogrified into a white, gay and female country singer then this is the record he would make. Probably.

ELP - Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends
Never my favourite band (even back then) and they were always a bit of a curate's egg - capable of music of genuine beauty one moment and all the subtlety of a stun grenade the next. Rampant ego, lack of an independent editorial hand and the two's-company-three's-a-crowd syndrome all contribute. Most of the time two of then seem to be battling it out for musical supremecy while the third tries to keep his head down until the storm passes. Still worth it for those passages where it all comes together.

Greenslade - Bedside Manners Are Extra
Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three
Julian Cope - Unruly Imagination
The Blue Nile- Hats
Yes- Fragile
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2010, 10:11
Jun 06, 2010, 10:10
Albums

Sleepy Sun - Fever (still very fucking ace. indeed.)
VA - Cloud Cuckooland (Finders Keepers)
Cherrystones & Lovely Jon - Jigoku - A Visual Mix Tape (DVD)
VA - The Psychedelic Sounds of the Sonic Cathedral
Detroit Social Club - Existence (very good)
VA - Europium Alluminate (Free FK Mix CD - Andy Votel & Jane Weaver) Bloomin Marvellous! Highly Recommended.
Netsky - Netsky
David Holmes - Ocean's 11 OST
Madness - Our House
Marina & The Diamonds - Family Jewels

+ Lots of 6 Music
+ Loads of assorted tunes for DJing purposes
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 10:14
This weeks raves:

The Who 'Quadrophenia' - an absolute masterpiece from first note (or should I say "wave") to last. The quality of Townshend's songwriting across all four sides is little short of miraculous, and the 'Oo do him proud throughout. This was their last great album, and it hasn't dated a jot in four decades;

Talking Heads '77' - I still get a rush from this awesomely addictive debut; in fact, nothing else in the Heads subsequent catalogue ever got to me as much as this. There's a superb 180g vinyl edition now in the shops that trounces the tinny CD edition;

XTC 'White Music' and 'Go 2' - similar in feel to '77' but very, very English, XTC's first two albums have a spikey sense of fun and verve that was, album by album, gradually lost after Barry Andrews got the elbow and Partridge started to get a bit too clever. I'm not dissing their output from 'Drums & Wires' onwards, much of which I really enjoy, but in truth I admire it more than I love it. The first two LPs, however, still induce St Vitus into my feet and make me grin from ear to ear;

Anthrax 'State Of Euphoria' - the third and last Anthrax LP I ever bought was dragged out of the vaults for the first time in a good twenty years this week and given a good gyroing. I'm much more impressed with it now than when I bought it. Whilst still in the inevitable shadow of 'Spreading The Disease', it rocks like a bitch;

Caravan 'For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night' - Caravan's most overtly prog rock-orientated LP (and I'd argue that they did surprisingly little in that vein, their most famous work being post-psychedelic pop of the highest order) features some amazing riffery ('Memory Lane Hugh', 'Be All Right', 'A Hunting We Shall Go') and Pye Hastings' songwriting at its quality apex: despite its well-dodgy subject matter, 'The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again' is a perfectly crafted song with three wonderful, distinctive vocal melodies that are masterfully brought together in the extended coda, and 'Surprise Surprise' is that rare thing, a genuinely romantic song existing within a prog framework, with a chorus to move mountains. And this time I've no complaints about the current CD edition, which sounds vastly superior to the thin, tinny vinyl original, and features some fine bonus tracks;

Miles Davis 'Miles In Berlin' and 'Miles In Europe' - I'm still thoroughly enjoying mining through unheard gems in my 'Complete Columbia' box set, such as these fine concert performances from the early 60's. With all his boundary breaking achievements, it's easy to forget how effective Miles was in a straight jazz setting, as here. And what a quintet of stellar young talent he put together to see him through the decade, every one now an icon in his own right.

Classically, enjoyed some venerable old Music For Pleasure 12/6d gems in Malcolm Sargent's still grand Sibelius 1 & 2 and Vaughan Williams Serenade To Music, William Steinberg's life-changing (for me) Beethoven 5 (the first of over 100 recordings I sadly, and obsessively, admit to owning), and Stokowski's typically individual take on 'The Planets'. Plus Bruno Walter's mono Beethoven symphony cycle with the NYPO and Philadelphia orchestras - lovely, lyrical performances from one of the true podium masters.

Life is good in the greenhouse...

Have a great week, everyone

Dave
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 10:38
Grave Temple – The Holy Down

Oneohtrix Point Never – Rifts

Sabbath – Heaven & Hell the duluxe remaster with the extremely good live tracks on the second disc, dissapointed to find that rumoured Sabotage Quadrophonic reissue turned out to be just a rumour

Trad Gras Och Stenar – Gardet 12.6.70

Wailing Souls –Firehouse Rock

Current 93 – In Menstrual Night

Spaceship – Out Of Time’s Abyss

Black Tempest – Proxima

Natalie Merchant – Leave Your Sleep Mrs Elf purchased this and I have enjoyed it muchly, have no idea who Natelie Merchant was other than not being the one in Throwing Muses and maybe being in some other band, but this is a good listen

Neil Young – Zuma, Tonight’s The Night

Less Than Zero OST

Tricky – Pre Millennium Tension

Wall Of Voodoo – Seven Days In Sammys Town, Happy Planet

Mike Oldfield – Hergest Ridge/Ommadawn

The Only Ones – Live

Emmylou Harris – Red Dirt Girl

ZZ Top – Antenna

Waterboys – Universal Hall

Foghat – Live

Deep Purple – Fireball

Lawnmower Deth/Metal Duck split LP CHEESE+PUFF+DEATH+SQUAD = song of the week

Sleep - Jerusalem there was a post awhile back about which CDs you are the proudest to own and at the time I couldn't think of any, but I'm quite proud of the fact that I managed to get Sleep's Holy Mountain,Vol1 and Jerusalem in the days before the internet. If I had managed to snag a copy of Vol2 or an Arik Roper cover of Jerusalem I would probably be even smugger
lord gazzington
72 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 10:42
LCD Soundsystem - this is happening - I prefer the album before this one but this still has great moments

Talking Heads - Remain in light

Sleepy Sun - Fever

Oneohtrix point - Rifts

Johnny Cash - American recordings

The National - High Violet

Pendulum - Immersion - Few good tracks but rather bland

Bob Marley - Songs of freedom box set

Flying lotus - cosmogramma
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 12:38
Black Tempest/ Proxima (still hearing new things ~ tres cool!!!)
Mount Carmel/ ST (I adore this album!!)
Sleepy Sun/ Fever and also Embrace (think I like Embrace just a bit more so far)
David Wrench-Black Sheep/ Spades & Hoes & Plows (a gem)
Circle/ Triumph (kind of their VdGG album)
Highway Child/ Sanctuary Come (this is an incredible record!)
Dead Man/ ST and Euphoria
Cosmic Trip Machine/ Vampyros Roussos
VA/ Mindexpanders Vol. 3 (another fine Past & Present comp)
Heavy Hands/ Smoke Signals
Quartz/ ST
Moon Duo/ Escape
Howlin Rain/ Magnificent Fiend
Black Sabbath/ Born Again
Gillan/ Magic
Ten Years After/ Watt (inspired by Mount Carmel I pulled this one out)
Earthling Society/ Tears of Andromeda
Black Cat Bones/ Barbed Wire Sandwich
Magma/ Live
Fuhrs & Frohling/ Ammerland
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index