Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 June 2010 CE
Jun 07, 2010, 05:59
Sin Agog wrote:
Alain Bashung - L'Imprudence (This guy's sort of like the French Scott Walker, I guess. Started out making forgettable chanson music in the '70s, but then made his own Tilt and The Drift with Fantasie Militaire and this)

Well said, genius album. Even with the language barrier this should have been a big record in Art Rock circles, at very least it should have been a big record with the critics but I wouldn't know it existed had a friend's husband not played on it. Anyway, can't recommend it highly enough and for those who are a bit squeemish of the contemporary classical scene this has more tunes than either of Tilt or Drift.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2010, 11:56
Jun 07, 2010, 11:41
Bronski Beat- The Age of Consent.
Bought for 10p in a charity shop; it's aged pretty well.

Greg Kihn Band- Kihnspiracy.
Also 10p in the same shop; this hasn't aged well at all.

The Electric Soft Parade- The American Adventure.
Their overlooked second album. Justifiably so, I'm afraid.

Steppenwolf- S/T.
Filler, yes, but some good churning period rock too, and with Born To Be Wild and The Pusher on board you can't go too far wrong.

The Television Personalities- A Memory Is Better Than Nothing.
Classic TVPs, to my ears; not as harrowing as My Dark Places, but no Killers covers as on the last album either.

The Chap- Well Done Europe.
More sardonic and polished deadpan electro, but with maybe more of a commercial pop nous? Good stuff, anyway.

The Sound Carriers- Celeste.
Excellent kraut-psych-lounge-jazz in a Broadcast vein; seen live in Lewes over the weekend they had a more guitar-y, almost Doors edge too.

Marc Bolan- The Beginning of Doves.
Still enjoying this very much.

Van Morrison- It's Too Late To Stop Now.
On a summer's night you could almost be there.

The Rolling Stones- Their Satanic Majesties' Request.
They tried to go psychedelic, and they made a punk record instead.

And live this week: Julian Cope, David Wrench, and the 2 day Lewes Psychedelic Festival over the weekend: in a Norman church adorned with splendid old school oil slide projections by the Innerstrings Lightshow, I saw marvellous sets from Diagonal, Voice of the Seven Thunders, Sound Carriers and Kontakte, and a summer Saturday afternoon sat drinking Rectory ale in a graveyard with good company and DJs playing everything from Aphrodites Child to Screamadelica was very heaven.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 16:12
No problem. It's on cd at the moment, but i expect i could accommodate mp3
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2010, 18:51
Jun 07, 2010, 16:12
Hail! \m/

Benga - Diary of an Afro Warrior. Moody!

Saviours - Accelerated Living. Excellent!

Charles Mingus - Ah Uhm!

Sienna Root - Different Realities. Like this lots!

Sisters of Transistors - At The Ferranti Institute. Organtastic!

KISS - Klassics (fun freebie comp came with Sonic Boom)

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

Manic Street Preachers - Send Away The Tigers. Some top tunes on this.

Deep Purple - Stormbringer. I would love to see this lineup play.

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules. Underrated really. "Sign of The Southern Cross" has a riff bigger and heavier than Godzilla's ballbag!

Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer. Hampered slightly by a grunge-conscious production and some filler, but still rocks when it wants to.

Luke Vibert & BJ Cole - Stop The Panic. Nice mix of chilled beats, ambi-sploog and steel-pedal geetar. V good!

Boston - Boston (or as they were known in Birmingham, Bostin!)

Muddy Waters - Best of...

The Shamen - Hempton Manor. Instrumental but still comes on like a seventh sense.

Have a nice week Riff Wreckers

x
bolox
bolox
311 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 17:29
Sod it - I missed the Lewes Psychedelic Festival. Should have written it more clearly on the calender.

Rectory Ales - fantastic. Last year had an interesting chat in the Evening Star with Godfrey the Rector of Plumpton who brews the stuff. A really great bloke - drink his beer & save his roof!
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 17:35
bolox wrote:
Sod it - I missed the Lewes Psychedelic Festival. Should have written it more clearly on the calender.

Rectory Ales - fantastic. Last year had an interesting chat in the Evening Star with Godfrey the Rector of Plumpton who brews the stuff. A really great bloke - drink his beer & save his roof!

I kept being told that the Rector himself might be putting in an appearance over the weekend, but I don't think he showed... excellent beer though, I think I certainly did my bit for the church roof fund!
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2253 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 18:03
IanB wrote:
Sin Agog wrote:
Alain Bashung - L'Imprudence (This guy's sort of like the French Scott Walker, I guess. Started out making forgettable chanson music in the '70s, but then made his own Tilt and The Drift with Fantasie Militaire and this)

Well said, genius album. Even with the language barrier this should have been a big record in Art Rock circles, at very least it should have been a big record with the critics but I wouldn't know it existed had a friend's husband not played on it. Anyway, can't recommend it highly enough and for those who are a bit squeemish of the contemporary classical scene this has more tunes than either of Tilt or Drift.

I got sent a copy by my French music geek cousin, Michel (he's the one who also turned me onto Brigitte Fontaine and Catherine Ribeiro). It definitely doesn't plumb the depths of despair as much as Walker's later albums, but it comes close. I would have figured L'Imprudence might have managed to take off with fans of Talk Talk, Bjork or some of the darker trip-hop acts, but I guess no celebrity fan came out and endorsed it so it's been relegated to obscurity...for now. I think Marc Ribot and Arto Lindsay's guitar playing can be heard at some point. If either of them are your friend's husband, that's pretty cool!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 18:09
CD would be fine thanks, I'll mail you a delivery address, I'd offer something in return but I wouldn't know what to offer, if you can think of anything let me know
Terryto
28 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 21:43
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
How did you find Rangda? I caught them last week also

I really enjoyed them. Hadn't heard anything by them before and was a bit surprised how full-on the first song was. After that they seemed to balance the noodling and shredding quite well. Thought Corsano's drumming was amazing. Bought the album after and it was pretty much the set they played. Will now need to check out some Richard Bishop/Sun City Girls stuff as I'm not too familiar with any of it.

What did you think?
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 08, 2010, 21:03
People Like Us - Abridged Too Far & Stifled Love

Melvins - The Maggot

Fripp & Eno - Evening Star

Avi Buffalo - What's It In For? (song). Indie rock does my head these days and I feel that I should be irritated by this (snob, see?) but what a song.

x
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index