Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 April 2010 CE

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 April 2010 CE
Apr 25, 2010, 20:39
SWIM – Caribou
Only played this the once so far, though I know Odessa well. There was a time when that would have been a hit.

COPE ON A ROPE (HAMMERSMITH 2003) – Julian Cope
This free-with-a-mag cd isn’t exactly Julian’s finest hour. It would have helped if the tapes were running at the right speed for a start!

MEMORY PALACE – Haig / MacKenzie
Two giants of Scottish music get together, put down some tracks and then sit on them for years. Admittedly this is neither’s finest album, but there’s still much to be enjoyed with Beyond Love and Transobsession being just two highlights. Listen To Me, one of the few tracks with Haig on lead vocals, has recently been re-done by him and features on his last album, Relive.

SISTERWORLD – Liars
Includes ‘sister’ disc of collaborations inc a fab contribution by Alan Vega as Duetonal. Lovely packaging too – even if it is virtually impossible to get one of the damn cd’s out!

PEEPSHOW – Siouxsie & the Banshees
It’s been a bit of a revelation re-discovering this one of late. Some genuinely great moments. A quick perusal of the song-writing credits show that is, Sioux’s mighty Peekaboo apart, very much Severin’s show. Apart from co-writing the fabulous Last Beat Of My Heart with her, he penned Killing Jar, the wonderfully melodic Scarecrow (how typical a Banshees title is that!) and the closing Rhapsody which features what are surely Siouxsie highest ever notes!

ALSO...
BIRTHDAY – The Association

QUA – Cluster

REMIXES – Four Tet

RELIVE – Paul Haig

SONGS FROM THE ELECTRONIC GARDEN – Jonteknik

FOREVER CHANGES – Love

PISSING ON BONFIRES – Meursault

SOUTHPAW GRAMMAR – Morrissey

BACKING OFF IS THE OTHER BAND – Roger

SEARCH & DESTROY (UNCUT CD) – V/A

WORLD OF HITS – V/A
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Apr 25, 2010, 20:45
Donovan - Sunshine Superman (currently reading his autobiography - boy, does he blow his own trumpet! But he is genuinely underrated)

Neu! - Neu! 75 (the most perfect Neu! album, but Neu! 2 has my favourite tracks)

Bread Love & Dreams - Amaryllis (as with many psych/folk LPs of this era this is hit and miss, but the haunting 'Brother John' is a keeper)

Timothy Leary & Ash Ra Tempel - 7 Up

Faust - Faust IV (probably my favourite Faust album; not being 'there' at the time it is hard to fathom why this was considered such a let-down, even after 'The Faust Tapes')

Incredible String Band - Wee Tam & The Big Huge (pristine new remaster, still a bit too big to swallow in one go, but there's no one else who quite did what they did)

Martin Carthy - Out Of The Cut

Thompson Twins - Set (fun to revisit one of my embarrassing teenage favourites; this is a slightly awkward transition between their new wave beginnings and synthpop future, but I was surprised how good a handful of tracks still sound)

Bee Gees - To Whom It May Concern (at this point still mixing MOR and weirdness in their own inimitable way)

String Driven Thing - String Driven Thing (rescued from the bargain bin at the Music & Video Exchange in Notting Hill on the strength of its Charisma label and the promise of some decent folk rock. Not entirely convinced by it)

Dando Shaft - Lantaloon

Eurythmics - In The Garden (debut album recorded in Germany with Conny Plank and members of Can. Shame they eventually went a bit rubbish)

Flower Travellin' Band - Satori (I like but don't love this. It has a great sound but just seems a tad too derivative to be the classic it's made out to be)

Witch Hazel - Landlocked (my first Unsung review. Still love its mixture of gaucheness and occasional high achievement)
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Apr 26, 2010, 07:48
flashbackcaruso wrote:

Thompson Twins - Set (fun to revisit one of my embarrassing teenage favourites; this is a slightly awkward transition between their new wave beginnings and synthpop future, but I was surprised how good a handful of tracks still sound)

Having studied at Chesterfield, in the late 70s/ early 80s I was quite familiar with their original incarnation. Needless to say their transformation onto cartoon pop characters came as a bit of a surprise. I did see them once in that 'trio' line-up and never did determine just what Joe Leeway actually did to contribute to the sound.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Edited Apr 26, 2010, 08:28
Apr 26, 2010, 08:26
Moon Cat wrote:

plus watched and enjoyed "Oil City Confidential" as recommended to me by other Heads.
Great film. Don't know much about the Feelgoods other than the odd song and the pub rock myths and legends. But this really showed how out there on their own they were at the time. Best rock film Julian Temple's done I think. Wilko Johnson was great.

I watched it too - and the gig afterwards with Ian Dury and The Blockheads - and the Stiff Records programme after that (Quote Of The Programme from one of Madness - "You don't give Ian Dury the bumps..")
Wilko Johnson WAS great. Didn't like Lee Brilleaux's voice though...

Edit: might as well add the only 2 CDs I listened to this week:

Death In Vegas - Dead Elvis
Laurent Garnier - Unreasonable Behaviour
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Apr 26, 2010, 10:50
Helen Of Troy - John Cale
New York Tendaberry - Laura Nyro
Christmas & The Beads Of Sweat - Laura Nyro
Gonna Take A Miracle - Labelle w/ Laura Nyro
Devil's Halo - Me'Shell Ndegeocello
I Speak Because I Can - Laura Marling
Shostakovitch Symphonies 5 & 8 - Mstislav Rostropovich: London Symphony Orchestra
Down On The Farm - Little Feat
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 26, 2010, 13:10
High Tone Out Back
interesting French dub crew who I believe are now on tour, having played galway last night. i'm just listening to their cd and am pretty impressed. Has some rappy stuff in it that reminds me of Blackalicious or crooklyn or something.
http://www.hightone.org/

Iggy & The stooges Raw Power
had to go into town yesterday to pick up a generous bag of ShelltoSea leaflets, so popped into HMV to see if this was around yet. it was indeed & now it's mine. Lovely package with some cool photos that don't all duplicate Mick Rock's book.
Bonus cd may be a bit rough, I think I need to hear it at louder volume when I'm not dozing off. Lp itself is now at room temperature & frequently considerably hotter. i noticed a couple of glitches I thought I'd created while trying to rip the vinyl through Audacity.
Most essential current release purchase? as are the next couple I think.

Incredible String Band Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
Nice to hear this at apex sound. Listening to this on my stereo it has 3d elements I hadn't noticed before. little instruments that flit in arcs in the sonics. yum. what more can I say? think I need to grab the rest of the series.

Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
This has some pretty spectacular stuff on. i always loved Child Of My Kingdom for one. & now it's here in pristine form.
bonus disc has various Peel session and single tracks. esoteric a label of quality.

Death For The Whole World to see
great mid 70s Black pre-punk rockers. Bits of this seriously remind me of the mid 80s direction Bad brains took post-hardcore. People have said it was unlikely the Brains they were aware of this obscure Detroit band, but I could easily see a fan making the connection between great black bands and taping them the available material. Think that idea remains apocryphal though.

Various other bits and bobs I might add later if I remember.
stevo
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Apr 26, 2010, 14:50
Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of Pink Floyd
~ Rockabye Baby!

Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of The Beatles
~ Rockabye Baby!

Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of Bob Marley
~ Rockabye Baby!

Rockabye Baby! Lullaby Renditions of The Beach Boys

bought all of these a few months ago to help my baby boy Alfie get to sleep at night and I have to say I AM HOOKED ON THESE! aLFIe and I Like the Pink Floyd one the best ... I bet Syd/ Roger would have chuckled if he had ever given this a listen. All performed with Mellotrons, toy pianos and glockenspiels. Really relaxing. (YawN zzZzZzzzzzzZz)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rockabye-Baby-Lullaby-Renditions-Floyd/dp/B000GY72K6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1272292768&sr=1-1-spell

80)(((daddy CHARLie)))
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Apr 26, 2010, 14:51
Betty Davis - They Say I'm Different
Lee Scratch Perry + Dub Syndicate - Time Boom X De Devil Dead
Serge Gainsbourg - Les Années Psychédéliques 1966-1971
The Sweet - Sweet Fanny Adams
T Rex - The Slider
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
and Life on Mars Series 1 on DVD class!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 26, 2010, 14:52
Tsk. You should be playing him Merzbow and Captain Beefheart to get him used to it ;-)
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Apr 26, 2010, 15:04
or
Trout Mask Replica
~ Captain Beefheart

on 2nd thoughts that would be *SIMPLY* eviL.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index