Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 April 2010 CE

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 25 April 2010 CE
Apr 27, 2010, 07:49
Yeah, first time I'd dug it out in ages. 'The Sound of the Big Babou' is the one people will recognise I suppose but it's full of gems.. How you doing JB, you ok?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 27, 2010, 08:17
Dog 3000 wrote:
In the car: a Grateful Dead 1971 audience tape that lived in my tape deck the last couple weeks has recently been replaced by my beloved ELP mix tape -- THE WEAVER AND THE WEAPON HE MADE!

Is that your own title? Only I thought the lyric was "the weaver in the web that he made"?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 27, 2010, 09:00
sounds more logical.
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Apr 27, 2010, 09:19
Popel Vooje wrote:
cHARLIE wrote:

or
Trout Mask Replica
~ Captain Beefheart

on 2nd thoughts that would be *SIMPLY* eviL.

Hmmm. You'cve given me an idea there..

Rockabye baby! Lullaby renditions of "Lick My Decals Off Baby", anyone?

I see that amazon are also selling a "Rockaby Baby! Lullaby Renditions of U2". All I can say is, please don't play that to your son, Charlie ... that would have a far more pernicious influence than Captain Beefheart.

Nay fear of me ever having any U2 pap in my house dude. Can't be doing with Bono and his crew. Tiz pap of the highest order and I will NOT have it! ;o)
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Apr 27, 2010, 09:30
mingtp wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
V/A- The Psychedelic Sounds of the Sonic Cathedral (Roky tribute CD)

I take it you were one of the lucky buggers to get a promo? I pre-ordered this tonight, so what's it like? Spill the beans, pretty please.

But.. if it's shit don't tell me because I'm moist for this and you'll shatter my already flimsy illusions about life :)

Tis a good un. Though I've not listened to it enough to give it a full review yet, standouts included Roky & The Black Angels doing a live 'Roller Coaster' (natch), A Place To Bury Strangers doing 'Tried To Hide,' on which they sound even more ridiculously like Psychocandy-era Mary Chain than usual, and Sarabeth Tucek's Nico & Velvets-type take on 'Splash 1'. And yep, mine's a cunningly-blagged promo copy. I also spoke to Roky Erickson on the phone last week...
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Apr 27, 2010, 13:23
Apr 27, 2010, 13:22
What are those other two Nyro albums like? Much filler? I only have "New York Tendaberry" but I've been wondering which areas of her catalogue to visit next...
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 27, 2010, 13:58
Apr 27, 2010, 13:54
Popel Vooje wrote:
What are those other two Nyro albums like? Much filler? I only have "New York Tendaberry" but I've been wondering which areas of her catalogue to visit next...

I think that group of records and the live at the Bottom Line record are the ones to have. I like Smile too. Not much filler on any of them.

Season Of Lights from 76 is a very good live record too (in terms of her own performances) but that band are to her music what the LA Express were to Joni Mitchell's or say John Martyn's early 80s band. The complex jazz chords are kind of watered down by the politeness of the playing. Sounds more like a west coast record than an east coast record. Jazz lite.

The great records are the ones where her piano playing is front an centre and she has that McCoy Tyner thing with the Gil Evans type voicings. The later albums are a wee bit too Julia Fordham for my taste but within each of them there are three or four really good songs. Depends on how deep you want to go.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Apr 27, 2010, 16:29
Haha! I am absolutely terrible at hearing lyrics!

That makes a lot more sense, but I still like "weapon" (which fits the armadillo battle pix in the gatefold at least?)

What the hell is that song supposed to be about anyway???
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 27, 2010, 20:58
Dog 3000 wrote:
Haha! I am absolutely terrible at hearing lyrics!

That makes a lot more sense, but I still like "weapon" (which fits the armadillo battle pix in the gatefold at least?)

What the hell is that song supposed to be about anyway???

who knows! I love it though...
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Apr 27, 2010, 23:39
Groove man, groove. I think i mean, or that means that i am alright - thanks for asking. How's tricks in the world of Torino? Big match for youse at the weekend - you have my full permission to beat Liverpool. I'm planning an excursion to a pub in Truro to watch the City match with my Tottenham mate next week. It's getting tense. Dunno why i'm talking football with you really - it's what blokes do though - right? As you were.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index