Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Feb 19, 2010, 00:57
Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 19, 2010, 00:57
Even "Old Ways"??! (Or was that on a different label?)

I find "Landing on Water" works pretty good in the car, but is painful on the home stereo. It's his "Miami Vice" album!!

Geffen was apparently always saying stuff to Neil at the time like "why don't you write some contemporary sounding hit material like DON FUCKING HENLEY AND GLEN FREY!! Both of whom were on Miami Vice as guests, and did songs for the soundtrack (also I think Don Henley was Geffen's biggest seller at the time. Ugh! Early 80's top 40 hell!)
landells
landells
680 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 09:13
Old Ways is a tad country for everyday consumption but it slots in nicely to the Geffen cycle. I bought it from amazon ages ago and they still send me emails that say "Check out these fantastic country albums"
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 09:34
I received it for Christmas back in 1981, and it absolutely blew me away from the first listen.

Having already been a KISS fan for many years, I think the fact that it was such a major departure from anything that had gone before, went some way to influencing my thoughts.

I still love it after all these years, and cannot understand why the band dismiss it.

A work of overblown genius!
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Edited Feb 19, 2010, 11:14
Feb 19, 2010, 10:29
I'm in the Satanic Majesties Camp as well. Love that album. Citadel is a brilliant track and 2000 Light Years is indeed one of their best. The b-sides from that era were dead cool too - Child Of The Moon for example. Panned for jumping on the Beatles psychedelic express but the Stones version was much sleazier. Mind you Bill Wymans snoring isn't much cop is it. Goats Head Soup is another cracker.

Primal Scream are always maligned by some and seeing as they're on my mind at the mo I'm going to dig my own grave by saying I really like the very much maligned Give Out But Don't Give Up. It's a bit too polished, Free is the worst song on it, but I've had some great times with that album and that whole era was good in my book. Trashed as a below par Stones/Faces/Stax copycat sound but a winner for me. Whereas Riot City Blues deserves every kick in the nuts it gets.

I'm searching my brain box for more maligned ones but have gone blank.....
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 10:45
Interesting, wonder if that's the same place I was going out to in the late 80s/early 90s when I got caught for bunking the tube? My friend Mat was living somewhere out there cos his girlfriend had been given a house by her dad.
Was heading out for some SST stuff I didn't have, and a general look around the place.

Could add the later Black Flag stuff for the purpose of the thread. But I think it's been recognised now. Don't think I'm the only one to find them seminal on stoner/doom rock.

Stevo
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 11:50
Indeed! I loves it too. (But you knew that)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 11:55
keith a wrote:

I've also got to admit loving Moby's Everything Is Wrong. I know most folk think he's a dick, but it's got some genuinley heartbreaking pieces on it. And Play was a breath of fresh air when it came out till over-familiarity reared its ugly head.

I'm quite fond of the the first few Moby albums too.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 11:58
redfish365 wrote:

"Tormato" by Yes isn't as bad as "they" say and I like most of it. It won't replace their classics and is an admittedly guilty pleasure but it is a pleasure (mostly).
I'm sure there are more but these jumped out at me.

I agree with you re: Tormato. Might lack the full on bonkers progitude of earlier albums but there's some good tunes on it. I even like the sleeve!!
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 14:20
The Electric Spanking of War Babies - my fave Funkadelic & to me a much better record than One Nation Under a Groove and Uncle Jam Wants You. Maybe just because it was the first Funkadelic record I have, but strongly I remember that WTF feeling when I first found it. Particularly side 2 & the last track Icka Prick, here I'd found something REAL BAD, in a good way!
Not a fave of mine for it's music (and not sure how critically acclaimed it was/is) I love the cover off Maggot Brain, one of my favorite sleeves. Would make a great tshirt.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 14:43
I don't own any albums by Maligned.

Are they metal? Emo?
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index