Maligned albums: which do you rate?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
vince
vince
1628 posts

Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 18, 2010, 22:01
Agreed on 'Solid Gold' and, to a certain extent 'Blah Blah Blah'. I rather enjoyed Iggy's couple of albums after 'Blah...' too. A bit 'big-hair-metal at times, but 'American Caeser' has some cracking tunes on it.

I'd even argue a case for Tin Machine II...Baby Universal and I Can't Read being two of my fave renaissance-period Bowie.

And how's about Lou Reed's 'Magic & Loss'?
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Feb 18, 2010, 22:03
Feb 18, 2010, 22:02
As, indeed, am I. And I'd add its predecessor 'Between The Buttons' as another contender for the Stones' most underrated LP.
Five
Five
960 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 22:27
Satanic Majesties is good (some of my friends it's their favorite stones)

My Nation Underground is not only good, it was hugely influential on me as a teenager

Bluejeans And Moonbeams has its moments (also Unconditionally Guaranteed)

Magic And Loss is just very hard to take, but it's well made and well conceived (though the single-mix of What's Good is far superior to the album mix) ... I like Lou's first solo record as well

There's good bits for sure on Neil's Life

I also enjoy Bob Dylan's Self-Portrait and many of his 80s records and his Live At Budokan

I know there's many others (the entire Royal Trux catalog?) but they aren't all coming to mind just now
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 22:44
Scratch The Surface - Hipsway. The second and final album sank without trace but I thought it was brilliant.
keith a
9573 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 22:58
vince wrote:
Agreed on 'Solid Gold' and, to a certain extent 'Blah Blah Blah'. I rather enjoyed Iggy's couple of albums after 'Blah...' too. A bit 'big-hair-metal at times, but 'American Caeser' has some cracking tunes on it.?

I like Instinct, the one after Blah...Possibly as close to metal as I get!

Wild America on American Caesar is truly fabulous. Probably my fave Iggy track of the 90's.

vince wrote:

Not heard that in a long time. Not a career highlight or anything, but I liked it at the time, though as the title and premise suggest it's a bit of a miserable experience!
LMan
LMan
763 posts

Feb 18, 2010, 23:08
keith a wrote:

vince wrote:

Not heard that in a long time. Not a career highlight or anything, but I liked it at the time, though as the title and premise suggest it's a bit of a miserable experience!

Such a miserable experience indeed, and I always think it twice before playing it (it makes "Berlin" sound like happy music). Said that, I rate it as one of Lou's best albums.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 00:35
Off the top of my head I can think of a few such as Budgie's early 80s "Deliver Us Fron Evil" which while certainly not up to snuff when compared to "classic" 70s Budgie is still quite memorable, hummable and pleasing to my ears. "Bored With Russia" is about as catchy as they come and "Finger on the Button" ain't too far behind.
Neil Young's "Trans" is one Young has apparently written off completely but to this admittedly non-fan of Neil Young its his best work.
Black Sabbath's "Technical Ecstasy" and "Never Say Die" are commonly denounced but I find both worthy records which while not on par with early Sabbs are still totally servicable hard rock records.
"Tormato" by Yes isn't as bad as "they" say and I like most of it. It won't replace their classics and is an admittedly guilty pleasure but it is a pleasure (mostly).
I'm sure there are more but these jumped out at me.

Now playing - Circle/Guillotine
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Feb 19, 2010, 01:03
Feb 19, 2010, 00:49
First of all I just gotta say -- my wife was hanging out with Captain Sensible himself last night! (At a Damned gig in San Diego.) Typical forum synchronicity that he would be mentioned on here today . . .

My favorite maligner is definitely "Their Satanic Majesties Request" by the Stones which is their daftest and therefore BEST album!

In fact the only other LP of theirs I would ever want to listen to all the way through is "Sticky Fingers" ("Main Street" has good stuff but could be trimmed to a single disc. Those other late 60's classics are also too overplayed for me to get into them much -- do you really need to hear "Sympathy for the Devil" one more time?)

UPDATE: looking over the other posts, this seems a popular and obvious choice!

Also seconded on the very weird "Self Portrait" by Bob Dylan (there was also a later 1973 contractual obligation album called "Dylan" I believe that is *outtakes* from this album!!! Never heard it but, whoah! There were even less releasable crap covers?! (I'm sure Bob himself never approved of it coming out.)

Neil Young "Trans" doesn't seem that maligned, I think lots of folks have rediscovered it in recent years and it's a big part of the legend of Neil's perverseness. (How about "Re-Ac-Tor" as a more forgotten and almost as interesting one? Or the unassuming pleasures of "Hawks & Doves" from 1980?)
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Feb 19, 2010, 00:53
Feb 19, 2010, 00:52
My candidate is unusual because it seems the members of the band seem to have disowned it. I love this album. It is Ceremony by Spooky Tooth with Pierre Henry. My first copy (without a sleeve) came from a Fruit and Veg shop on the road between Harrow and Wealdstone, very near both Harrow F.C and the famous Railway pub. This shop had a stash of cheap LP's in a box along with the vegetables on the pavement, but the shop had a room at the rear with ceiling high LP racks and '45s I seem to remember. The shop was run by a very grumpy bloke in glasses. The record I paid a fiver for, but on the blank sleeve it was written a daily rate if you wanted to hire it. I really miss odd shops like that. Barry Winton knew about this shop, and lambasted the owner for various reasons, least of all that he tried to buy the stock. Dale Vac in Birmingham was another shop which held memories for me.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 00:53
Never thought of it that way! "Telepathic Surgery" was the first Lips album I ever got, so always seems like a classic to me (I haven't particularly liked them in the decades since . . . wish they still sounded more like that record!)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index