Maligned albums: which do you rate?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: Maligned albums: which do you rate?
Feb 19, 2010, 20:50
Psssssst.... I quite like Moby too.... Don't tell anyone....
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 21:52
"Electric Cafe - Kraftwerk"

Totally agree - great album and way ahead of it's time.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 21:57
Buzzcocks - A different kind of tension
Style Council - Confessions of a pop group
The Fall - Room to Live
Miles Davis - Tutu
Parliament - Motor Booty Affair
Magazine - Magic Murder and the Weather
Beach Boys - Surfs Up
Stevie Wonder - Secret life of plants
Donald Byrd - electric byrd
Radiohead - Kid a
Kraftwerk - electric cafe
Butthole Surfers - Widowermaker EP
Jimmy Smith - house party
U-ziq - Royal Astronomy
Durutti Column - another setting

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 19, 2010, 22:06
...so do I...keep it a secret..

8)
Doody
33 posts

Feb 20, 2010, 05:38
-Magic, Murder and the Weather by Magazine. It's definitely their weakest album, don't get me wrong, but it's still plenty listenable.

-Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. I don't really get why people don't like this one. Every time it gets mentioned on this site, people say it was a misstep, but I love how excessive and faux-operatic it is. "Killing Yourself to Live" is in my top five Black Sabbath songs.

-Time Fades Away by Neil Young. Supposedly this has never been issued on CD because Young thinks it sounds like garbage. A shame, because it has some great songs ("Don't Be Denied" especially), and I don't think any of the songs winds up elsewhere in any form.
Doody
33 posts

Feb 20, 2010, 05:57
A few I didn't think of at first:

-The final three Buzzcocks singles on Liberty. I don't know anyone who likes these, and I don't know why. "Strange Thing," "Why She's a Girl From the Chainstore," and "What Do You Know?" in particular are really strong tracks, and a complete continuation and evolution of the material that preceded them.

-Kitchens of Distinction in general. I don't know how they went over in the U.K. because I'm American and only 29, but I was talking about them with an older friend who's really into Slowdive, Loop, etc., at a show one night. He said that he remembers Kitchens of Distinction being held up as THE example in the U.S. of how British indie rock was perceived to be slow, pretentious, and fey. What I've heard from them is great and also very energetic, so I have no idea what people back then were talking about. I also love the brutally candid lyrics.

-October File by Die Kreuzen. I won't pretend it's quite as good as the first album, which is one of the few hardcore records I still like, but reviews from when it came out acted like it was a total betrayal on Die Kreuzen's part. First off, it still sounds like Die Kreuzen, just with the Killing Joke and other postpunk influences pushed to the foreground this time. Second, it still has three songs that would've fit perfectly on their first LP. (Stuff like this is why I don't care for hardcore anymore.)

-Songs of the Free by Gang of Four. Not quite as good as Another Day, Another Dollar, and nothing can touch Entertainment! or the yellow EP. (I don't really like Solid Gold too much.) But the lyrical themes are still the same, just more inward-looking, and the music is an evolution rather than a departure. The only real problem is that Jon King sings so off-key on half the tracks. Sigh..."We Live as We Dream, Alone" should have been huge...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Feb 20, 2010, 07:29
Kitchens of Distinction? First time anyone's mentioned them here. I always thought they were more of a singles band, although I got to see them live and they were much better than their records...
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Feb 20, 2010, 08:46
I too like Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and have since I first heard it decades ago. Not sure why it gets panned but like the other two I mentioned previously in this thread, it does..
Gnostic Almighty
Gnostic Almighty
236 posts

Edited Feb 20, 2010, 08:54
Feb 20, 2010, 08:50
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

I also really like the Damned's post-Captain albums, 'Phantasmagoria' and 'Anything', far more in fact than the critically-rated 'Strawberries' and 'The Black Album.' There, I've said it.

I must be listening to different albums.

The passage of time since the releases of Phantasmagoria and Anything hasn't done them any harm, and they are imo listenable to now and contain some interesting stuff (especially on Anything), they pale into insigificance when compared to either The Black Album or Strawberries ... or Grave Disorder, So, Who's Paranoid and yes, even Music For Pleasure.

It was of course the Anything line-up of The Damned that became The Phantom Chords, and I feel that if the withdrawn first album would have been actually released from Polydor, it would have all been a different story.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

Feb 20, 2010, 10:05
dave clarkson wrote:

Radiohead - Kid a

The one that was highly rated when it came out and voted album of the year at the time and now album of the decade by many publications?
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index