127 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10 January 2010 CE
Jan 11, 2010, 07:31
Um, today it was:

13th Floor Elevators, "Bull Of The Woods" (side one ... played side 2 last night before bed, followed by a CD of a children's choir from the Kalihari which I actually went to sleep to)

Howling Hex, "IX" (side one)

Lunar Dunes

Snoose Junction Presents: "Echo Parks Department" ("new" improv instrumental disc I've put together, still test-driving it but I think it's done)

also last night:
Soul Coughing, "El Oso"
... and some Gnawa thang from the awesometapesfromafrica blog, a fairly recent post

an African compilation on Shanachie, a green one with some kids standing on a house on the front cover

I think I was recently listening to Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter, "Like Love Lust And The Open Halls Of The Soul" album, which is amazing and lush

and a bunch of late 80s Bob Dylan tapes which turned up in the mail from my dad ... there are good bits on each of them, though very few for example on Under The Red Sky (it has things to like about it, but why bother ... ) Most of the problems are that the 80s production sucked logs ... Mind, I enjoy "Empire Burlesque", but Red Sky is just sonically so at odds with what Bob's about, no wonder he couldn't be bothered to write anything worthwhile ... "Down In The Groove" was much better but very very odd ... just weird ... I guess it's bits from a bunch of sessions, includes Silvio and some other very good tracks ... and then "Oh, Mercy" (the 1st Lanois produced one, assuming I've got the titles straight in my head) is very solid ... onward to "Budokan", "Real Live", & "Hard Rain" for a live Bob compare and contrast
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index