machineryelf
3679 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10 January 2010 CE
Jan 10, 2010, 23:10
Squid Tempest wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Quality stuff here ME. Obviously I applaud the conversion from your first thoughts on the Durutti box (which is a real bargain), you may be right about the appeal to our metal-lovin' friends though. Not seeing a Durutti sludge-metal album appearing any time soon.

Agree completely about the Ubu-quality-tail-off too.

probably got the snow to thank for the Durutti conversion, I wanted something gentle to listen too whilst driving through early morning blizzards, and after a while I realised there is a lot more going on than I initially thought.

If you like that you could try the new album "A Paean To Wilson" (all instrumental, if you can't cope with Vini's singing), which is a blinder.

I've just looked up the Durrutti Column box - is it good then? Coz if so, what a bargain. Might have to get hold of one.

At that price you can't fail, only thing I'd heard was the first Morrisey cd and i loved Late Night Maudlin Street, certainly recommend Someone Else's Party & Keep Breathing from the Box, it's not going to rip your face off or impress you with flash technique, but it sounds lovely and it has layers you can keep peeling back, constantly you hear little things , notes, trills,swishes that keep it interesting
The vocals are nothing special, but they don't grate either, and they have some depth
It's never going to top any of my lists but I suspect that I'll give it a lot of listening, if only because it's easy without being bland and it sounds like nothing & nobody else whilst remaining inside a easily referenced frame
Will be nice if we have a summer this year
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index