Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1700 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10 January 2010 CE
Jan 10, 2010, 22:25
Mudhoney- Since We've Become Translucent
Mudhoney- Under A Billion Suns.

Bought these two in the New Year Sale in my local record shop for £1.99. I must admit I've not kept up with Mudhoney since the days of Touch Me I'm Sick, but was a bit of a fan back then and saw them play some great shows. I remembered reading that Since We've Become Translucent (2002) and its 2006 follow-up were returns to form- back on Sub Pop too- so I investigated. Pretty good stuff. They've moved on- less grungey, more soulful and psychedelic. Horn sections fairly prominent, but still rocking hard. Yes, worthwhile purchases I would say.

Elvis Costello- When I Was Cruel. One pound charity shop find. I have all of Elvis's albums up to 1989's 'Spike' on vinyl, and this 2002 release was one of his periodic returns to Attractions-style pop songwriting with a bitter, sardonic edge, though use of loops and samples make it more contemporary. Again, a worthy addition to his canon.

Stanley Brinks and the Wave Pictures- S/T. Forthcoming album from the guy out of Herman Dune. Very enjoyable lo-fi beat pop in a Modern Lovers mould.

The Datsuns- Outta Sight / Outta Mind. Again, in the sales. Fairly innessential stuff, but, y'know, capable hard rock. Misses the cute girly bvs of the debut and doesn't really add anything.

The Mooney Suzuki- Electric Sweat. Sales again. The retro-garage sound of 2002 revisited...

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Fever To Tell. Charity shop. Should've bought this sooner. A fine indie pop record.

The Klaxons- Myths of the Near Future. Ditto this. Apparently the follow-up got turned doen by their label for being too experimental. Prog rock meets dubstep, say the band. Progstep? Would love to hear it.

French for Cartridge- Liquorice. Excellent new skewed pop gem.

Scout Niblett- The Calcination of Scout Niblett. Scout does her usual lo-fi, stripped down PJ Harvey type thing, but it's excellent as ever.

Kraftwerk- 2. I'm enjoying this very much at the moment.

Crosby, Stills and Nash- CSN. This is growing on me very much. Steely Dan-esque in the production, but still stripped back in the playing. A warm comfort blanket LP.

Arch Garrison- King of the Down. Very fine solo album by Craig Fortnam of North Sea Radio Orchestra. Out of tune estuary accent vocals and pastoral acoustic guitar musings.

Darren Hayman- Great British Holidays. Includes covers of Lindsey Buckingham, Connie Francis and Chas n' Dave.

Electrafixion- Burned. More spirit than recent Bunnymen for sure, though sounding a bit dated now.

The Action- 16 Slices of... Classic north London Mod pop and blue-eyed soul.

The Human League- Reproduction. For all his flaws (or because of them) I think Phil Oakey may be one of my favourite singers. Strange but true.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index