IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2010, 21:04
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10 January 2010 CE
Jan 10, 2010, 20:55
dodge one wrote:
I still read it every week.
There are several members here who's musical tastes inform mine very much.
But that's the thing...as you said. This thing with people jumping in and letting you KNOW how much they think YOUR tastes and choices suck....
Gets old hat quick. I don't think i've been guilty of it. But folks doing it to me or others just wrankles me. Not worth it.

It's all down to tone. Of course people are going to disagree about pop music but I can't believe some of the shitstorms and personal attacks that have started on this forum because someone dared to a) state an allegedly uncool musical preference and then b) have the temerity to back it up when they get shot down in flames by some passing hipster who fancies himself or herself as the new Tony Parsons / Julie Burchill of the community. The idea that an art form still in its infancy should have a Gold Standard of taste is ridiculous to start with.

European Classical Music has enshrined (at a guess) about 500 composers of stature in its pantheon from the years between 1100 and 1900. Less than one a year on average though of course more in the 18th and 19th centuries. A genius every two years is still not a bad average when you think about it. Painting and literature probably have a similar pattern.

If in a hundred years time people are still talking about 1% of the hundreds of artists we regularly proclaim as "greats" on here then that will be an extraordinary strike rate. It is far more likely that the popular music that is remembered in 100 or 200 years time for its own merit, rather than passing social / cultural impact, will come from places way off the Unsung map. Especially as rock n roll is such a conservative beast by and large. So we could probably all do with taking it a bit less seriously. Myself included for that matter.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index