Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 October 2009 CE
Oct 06, 2009, 19:37
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
The Sisters of Transistors- At the Ferranti Institute. Groovy ladies organ combo from Manc, under the direction of 808 State's Graham Massey: another fun record, that reminds me a little of the late, lamented Electrelane

Wow, been scouring the tinternet for this - is it a promo, download or original and where did you manage to get it from mate?

Would really like to know...
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 22:18
Fantastic stuff, cheers Dave - no cassette player these days though! Perhaps someone on here could offer a cassette to CD transfer to bridge the gap? I'd love the hear the full versions.

I really like the Ludus stuff, like many of the post-punk groups involving women they had a wonderful ability to push the boundaries of music in directions that their male counterparts would rarely have gone (sorry if that sounds a bit of a sweeping generalisation) - groups like Kleenex/Liliput, The Slits, Ludus, etc never seemed to be constrained by notions of what was possible in a song.

The LTM CDs are very elegant, I don't know how closely the artwork matches the originals.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 22:19
mingtp wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
The Sisters of Transistors- At the Ferranti Institute. Groovy ladies organ combo from Manc, under the direction of 808 State's Graham Massey: another fun record, that reminds me a little of the late, lamented Electrelane

Wow, been scouring the tinternet for this - is it a promo, download or original and where did you manage to get it from mate?

Bugger, I didn't realise that Electrelane were late and lamented now, what a shame.
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 22:22
thesweetcheat wrote:
Bugger, I didn't realise that Electrelane were late and lamented now, what a shame.

Great weren't they?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 22:30
mingtp wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Great weren't they?

They were indeed, and they performed the only decent Bruce Springsteen cover I know (I'm On Fire).

Kind of like Stereolab with a bit more attitude and better amps.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 23:04
thesweetcheat wrote:
mingtp wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Indeed. The mighty Electrelane went on 'indefinite hiatus' after a farewell gig at the end of 2007. However, rumour on the Brighton band grapevine has it they've been talking about maybe getting together again soon, so watch this space...
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 23:14
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
mingtp wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Indeed. The mighty Electrelane went on 'indefinite hiatus' after a farewell gig at the end of 2007. However, rumour on the Brighton band grapevine has it they've been talking about maybe getting together again soon, so watch this space...

Excellent, thanks for that - will watch with interest!
keith a
9572 posts

Oct 07, 2009, 00:09
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Paul McCartney- Memory Almost Full.

...if someone had told me this was a new XTC record I might have believed them.

I remember hearing Ever Present Past on the radio, not knowing who it was by and thinking it sounded like XTC!
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Oct 07, 2009, 13:13
Julian Cope - St Julian
Prince - Around the World in a Day
Jim O'Rourke - Bad Timing
Galaxie 500 - Today
Country Joe & the Fish - Electric Music for the Mind and Body
Broadcast - Ha Ha Sound
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Jim O'Rourke - The Visitor
The Louvin Brothers - Country Love Ballads
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis
v/a - Watch How the People Dancing
Soledad Brothers - Voice of Treason
The Orb - U.F.Orb
The Band - The Band
Heaven 17 - Penthouse & Pavement
The Loud Family - Attractive Nuisance
The Louvin Brothers - A Tribute to the Delomore Brothers
Eat - Auto Gift EP
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Oct 07, 2009, 16:27
Gotta say i've really come around to this having played it four times over the last couple of days, it's just getting better and better. Just about every song on it's got a hook or two to enjoy and i love the lyrics and the subtle referencing of past material ( which i didn't really pick up on the first couple of plays ). Hillage's small but perfectly formed solos just leave me wanting more, Miquette's ebbing / flowing synth wash is just how it should be and i'm really getting into Theo Travis' sax playing, more muscular and less playful than Didier perhaps but still ticking my boxes. Only problem i've got with it now is that i seem to be flogging it to death !

Was thinking how similar Julian's trip is to Daevid's too, not that he'd necessarily agree, mind. Both of them have got that shamanistic thing going on, only with Daevid comin' from an imaginary planet in outer space ( or is it, hehe ) and with Julian's more macho trip comin' from somewhere deep underground !
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index