Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 October 2009 CE
Oct 05, 2009, 20:27
Squid Tempest wrote:
Gong - 2032
Well, it looks like I'm the only one who really likes this! It has been glued into the CD player since I got it, and my opinion of it hasn't changed, except to firm up my conviction that this is up there with the trilogy. The more I listen, the more I get from it. I love the little quotes from previous songs, the little hidden voices and sounds, the riffs, the playing, the lyrics, the concepts, the works.

I have it on again now :D This superb and i think we now have to call it the "Teapot Tetralogy" lol
vince
vince
1628 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 23:18
keith a wrote:
THE DEVIL YOU & ME – The Notwist
Considering Neon Golden is one of my all-time top albums, I've not really given this enough listens. Good but not in that class, though as I didn’t like NG at first time may prove differently.

Stick with it. It'll get ya.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 23:51
FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON - From The Archives Vol. 4
I've always had a soft spot for FSOL. Interesting set of 'lost' tracks (5 volumes of 'lost' tracks??) ;-)

WHITEHOUSE - Racket
I would have loved to have heard another album like this.
Maybe they'll reform in a few years and do the 'chicken in a basket' circuit =8-o

BOREDOMS - Chocolate Synthesizer
Great to hear this again and the album before they went fully into orbit!.

KING TUBBY - Dub Gone Crazy
You can never fail with KT, always touches the aural spot.

THE SLITS - Cut
Sounding really fresh to these ears. "Typical Girls" - what a great single that was too.

PINEAL EYE - "I"
Interesting mix of folk(y) style ambience and the occasional blocks of thick drones- nice!

AUDIENCE - Friend's Friend's Friend
When I was a total Bowie-nut as a lad, a mate of mine used to bring this album along which belonged to his older brother.
Acoustic guitar, bass, percussion, saxes/clarinet/flute and featuring the slightly odd voice of a chap named Howard Werth. It does have a nolstalgic feel about it, but it's great as it sounds too, obviously 'of it's time' (1970), but also a bit different from other groups from that era.

CAUSTIC WINDOW - Joyrex EPs Comp.
Another AFX tangent, the track "Italic Eyeball" is one of my favourite tracks that he's ever done.

IN GOWAN RING - Time Is A Spiral
Excellent folk-psyche, some would say neo-folk, but not a jackboot in sight!

MOONDOG - Viking Of Sixth Avenue
Genius (was) at work.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 00:41
dave clarkson wrote:
"Ludus - The Damage (picks "How High Does The Sky Go?"; "Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go"); The Seduction (picks "See The Keyhole"; "The Escape Artist")"

Respect!

8)

It's good stuff, rewarding repeated listens (I only have the LTM reissues, the originals seem very hard to get hold of).
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 00:43
mingtp wrote:
keith a wrote:
AT THE BBC – The Pixies

Awesome. The version of Is She Weird on that album is very special indeed. Total "Tune".

Quality CD. In fact Keith, much quality tuneage again.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Edited Oct 06, 2009, 01:29
Oct 06, 2009, 01:24
...the originals come up on ebay occasionally- notably the singles and the Sordide Sentimental 'breaking the rules' release which is a classic.
The 'Seduction' release on LTM doesn't include all the material on the 2 original twelve inches although James at LTM who released it says it does. He's either not closely listened to the original or he's edited it for CD space. What's missing is the extended 'My cherry is in sherry' parts which is great.

Let me know if you want copies of any Ludus originals although I've currently only got access to record from vinyl onto cassettes.

Graham Dowdell (Dids) the wonderful drummer on the 'Pickpocket' release now does good electronica under the name Gargarin. He lives and gigs in London.

Linder is still doing interesting stuff. I met her at the Tony Wilson Urbis 24 hour talk event in Manchester a few years back. She's very attractive in every way.

8)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 09:50
ToneStone wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Gong - 2032
Well, it looks like I'm the only one who really likes this! It has been glued into the CD player since I got it, and my opinion of it hasn't changed, except to firm up my conviction that this is up there with the trilogy. The more I listen, the more I get from it. I love the little quotes from previous songs, the little hidden voices and sounds, the riffs, the playing, the lyrics, the concepts, the works.

I have it on again now :D This superb and i think we now have to call it the "Teapot Tetralogy" lol

hah! Now I don't feel quite so lonely with my point of view!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 09:51
bubblehead2 wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Gong - 2032

I haven't given up on it yet Squid ! Gonna give this a serious listen tonight through headphones under optimum listening conditions. Have only given it one play with full attention so far and that was only at moderate volume though speakers, otherwise i've been checking it out in the car where obviously my mind's busy with other things !

Hope it works for you Bubbs. Until Tonestone's post below I was beginning to wonder if I was just imagining that I enjoyed it!
keith a
9572 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 10:04
I shall!
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Oct 06, 2009, 18:31
A Place To Bury Strangers- S/T

A Place To Bury Strangers- Exploding Head. Yep, I know they're basically just plundering My Bloody Valentine, the Mary Chain and The Cure, but this album has really got under my skin. There are some great furious noises and extremely catchy songs beneath. Not big or clever, but loud and fun!

The Sisters of Transistors- At the Ferranti Institute. Groovy ladies organ combo from Manc, under the direction of 808 State's Graham Massey: another fun record, that reminds me a little of the late, lamented Electrelane.

Various artists- Ghana Special: modern highlife, afro-sounds and Ghanaian blues, 1968-81. Excellent new 2 CD comp of the same, for pretending it's still summer.

Paul McCartney- Memory Almost Full. I just got round to listening to this for the first time, purely from curiousity, and do you know what, I really enjoyed it! Catchy Macca tunes a given, but scmaltz avoided- it sounds quite lo-fi almost and I like the rather melancholy, backward-looking subject matter. In fact, if someone had told me this was a new XTC record I might have believed them.

Kathy Acker- Pussy. Intellectual and erotic spoken word.
David Bowie- Lodger. Very under-rated and misunderstood album.
Iggy Pop- Lust for Life. Obvious and highly rated but kinda still under-rated. Especially 'Some Weird Sin.' This is solid gold Iggy Pop pop!

Excelsior!

HTW
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index