Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 October 2009 CE
Oct 04, 2009, 16:08
Beatles - please please me
PIL - live at the Factory , manchester.
Hugh Cornwell + Robert Williams - Nosferatu
Deep Freeze Mice - my geraniums are bulletproof.
Ray Russell - secret asylum
Joey Baron - down home
Gary Bartz - juju street songs
Human Condition - live at the collegiate
Jah Wobble's Deep Space - Five beats + live in manchester.

Books of the week...
Jah Wobble - i could have been a contender
Peter Hook - how not to run a club
...both entertaining reads but the Wobble book is more interesting in my opinion.

Have a good week.

8)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 04, 2009, 16:19
dave clarkson wrote:

Books of the week...
Jah Wobble - i could have been a contender
Peter Hook - how not to run a club
...both entertaining reads but the Wobble book is more interesting in my opinion.

I must get that Wobble book.
I read that extract from it in The Word, where he told the story of how he gave that tit Sean Hughes a smack around the chops at the rehearsals on a Never Mind The Buzzcocks show - absolutely brilliant!
Jah Wobble - a proper chap!

;-)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Tony Hill
Oct 04, 2009, 16:57
managed to forget to say anything about Tony Hill, the english guitarist who'd joined before the first side of that lp was recorded.
Can't remember what he was doing before his Misunderstood tenure but he went onto The High Tide whose 1st lp Sea Shanties is one of the best UK lps from the turn of the 70s ('69?).
I think he's had some mental health issues but was recording decent material as recently as the early years of this decade.
Very very fine heavy guitarist anyway.
Stevo
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Oct 04, 2009, 18:01
Hehe, know what you mean Jim but at least you can blame the folly of youth and the lack of a mass media. What with the internet and Youtube and stuff i could have had the wisdom of hindsight by checking it our first, but no, i just jumped in there like the impulsive sucker i sometimes am.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Oct 04, 2009, 18:02
Cheers for the heads up on the Wobble book, i'll look forward to checking that out.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2009, 20:05
Oct 04, 2009, 19:33
Love the sound of that Magazine reissue but don't get the Unthanks at all but I love other versions of Annachie Gordon so I will check it out for sure.

Here's Paul Morley giving Folk the once over (inc Unthanks and Jim Moray)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/interactive/2009/oct/02/1
a23
a23
1004 posts

Oct 04, 2009, 20:07
The Beatles: Revolver / Sgt Pepper / MMT
This Revolver has to be my second favourite Beatles record (after White Album), mono mix sounding really good.

Mazzy Star - She shines brightly / amongst my star
Hope Sandoval - Bavarian Fruitbread - never as keen on this record when compared to the Mazzy ones, but her voice is still one of THOSE voices, languid and intoxicating. Good to hear she's got a new record out, too

Tubeway Army - Replicas Haven't listened to this in a while - still enjoy some of the tracks which sounded so fresh when i first heard the record.

Eternal Tapestry - Palace of the night skies - three track lp with long primitive jams, good stuff

GHQ - Heavy Elements - stoner drone, tribal drums.

Pink Foyd - PATGOD - mono/stereo edition - listening to these back to back, much prefered the stereo mix this time round (though interstellar was pretty hot in mono)

Spacemen Three - Perfect Prescription
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 05, 2009, 13:59
Oct 04, 2009, 20:16
Mott The Hoople - 1st Album
Mott The Hoople - Brain Capers
Mott The Hoople - Mott Live (expanded)
Mott The Hoople - Felt Forum
Mott The Hoople - Santa Monica Civic
Mew - Frengers
Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Mouth Music - Seafaring Man
Dr Feelgood - Stupidity
Graham Parker - Howlin wind
Steve Earle - Townes
Elvis - Sun Studio Sessions
Townes Van Zandt - Live At The Old Quarter
Roots Manuva - Dub Come Save Me
Flamin Groovies - Shake Some Action
Roogalator - Cincinatti Fatback
Marillion - Less Is More
Rae and Christian - Northern Sulphuric Soul
King Sunny Ade - Synchro Series
machineryelf
3681 posts

Oct 04, 2009, 22:49
Diodaar-Black Moon Siege Impression, Rust Coloured Airbrush Stroke 2 new cds from local postdronenoiseniks, and most excellent it is too, rans the whole gamut from quiet ambience to speaker bouncing bass phasing and back again. Rust Coloured Air Brush sounds like a short wave transmission from beyond space & time

Celestial Sea-S/T post blackmetal imagine the Cocteau Twins playing Venom but without the singing , or in Venoms case the shouty bits

Jeff Buckley-Live at Cin-E probably a victim of his own success, everyone seems a bit sniffy about Buckley Jnr but I think he’s great

Basillica-Kingdom of Status lowfi Geordie drone, this is more a case of Venom trying to play the Cocteau Twins in a Turkish brothel whilst snorting opium, not for the fainthearted

Slomo-The Bog anyone who has heard this might want to check out Diodaar, they belong in that English drone camp, who always to me sound more organic to me than the US bands

Hanoi Rocks Live Edinburgh 84 – so live you can smell the drugs on their breath

KTL IV-Pita & the Grimmlord get down & dirty, whilst this may be bass end light compared to O’Malleys day job in SunnO))) it more than makes up for it by casting a greasy black shadow across your stereo and gunging up your diodes & transistors with some badass shit

Motorhead-Bomber don’t touch that dial.............it’s already on 11 ;-)

AMT-Electric Heavyland ...........blimey this dial goes to 12!!!

Supertramp-Even In The Quietest Moments hey it’s not all grimmblackenedshit in elf towers, sometimes you need something sensitive and luvverly, and sometimes you just need a bit of the ‘tramp

Aztec Camera-first 3, the vinyls upstairs, still top quality tunes, a couple of the lps suffer from 80s production

Crazyhead-a bunch of singles that are brilliant, pregrunge masterpieces & Desert Orchid the over produced LP, still not as bad as Zodiac Mindwarp, who really pushed the BIG PRODUCTION button

The Bangles-again they’re upstairs and it’s amazing how they went from 60s garage impersonators to Eternal Flame in 3 easy stages, still had something then , even if it was pretty polished by then, wonder what it was

http://www.steviesguitars.com/images/hoffposter.jpg

ah yes, I remember, lovely guitars ;-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Oct 04, 2009, 23:18
Plenty of usual suspects this week:

"Can't Hardly Stand It" - Charlie Feathers
Bobby Freeman - "Do You Wanna Dance"
Elvis Presley - "Guitarman"
The Regents - "Barbara Ann"

The Beatles - The Beatles; Mono Masters Disc 2 [mono remasters]
The Beatles - Stereo remasters box set. Having listened to both boxes all through now, I must say that IMHO the Mono box is far better. The stereo mixes have too much stereo separation, whereas the mono mixes are incredibly dynamic (although the post-Revolver albums sound great either way). The packaging of the Mono box is better too. Still can't stand the Let It Be album.

Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn. The only PF album I like, and even this is patchy.

Holger Czukay - Canaxis LP. Brilliant 2 tracker, featuring sampled voices of boat people, etc. Recorded 1969, still sounds fresh.

Big In Japan - "Society For Cutting Up Men"
Kleenex - "Beri-Beri"; "Hedi's Head"; "Nice"; "You"; "U". Terrific tracks from their singles, continuing as....
Liliput - "Spilt"/"Die Matrosen". Worth the admission for the whistling solo in "Die Matrosen" alone.

Cabaret Voltaire - "Sluggin' For Jesus"
Gang of Four - Solid Gold LP; Another Day Another Dollar mini-LP
Ludus - The Damage (picks "How High Does The Sky Go?"; "Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go"); The Seduction (picks "See The Keyhole"; "The Escape Artist")

New Order - "Video 586". Proto "Blue Monday", released by Touch.
The Chameleons - What Does Anything Mean, Basically? LP
The Cult - Love LP. Comedy goth, listened to in anticipation of seeing them on Thursday for a comedy night-out.

Felt - "Primitive Painters". One of their career highlights, featuring Liz Fraser.
J&MC - "You Trip Me Up"

Jah Division - Dub Will Tear Us Apart EP

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Gang of Four - "Second Life"/"Paralysed" 7"

George Pringle - "LCD I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down"/"Sparkomatic Miami" 7"

Bad Lieutenant - "Sink or Swim"/"Dynamo" 7". First effort from Bernard Sumner's new group, not bad.

Durutti Column - Love In The Time of Recession. Can't wait to see them on Friday.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index