Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 October 2009 CE

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 4 October 2009 CE
Oct 05, 2009, 00:24
"Ludus - The Damage (picks "How High Does The Sky Go?"; "Let Me Go Where My Pictures Go"); The Seduction (picks "See The Keyhole"; "The Escape Artist")"

Respect!

8)
keith a
9572 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 01:01
LP’S
BBC SESSIONS – Buzzcocks
As much as I love the Buzzcocks a lot of this is pretty rubbish, with too many examples of the 90’s version of the band performing inferior versions of your old faves from the 70’s.

FLOORED GENIUS 4 – Julian Cope
Yeah, well worth getting!

GRAVE DISORDER / SO, WHO’S PARANOID? – The Damned
Played the two of them back to back, and surprisingly I think SWP might just pip it!

THE REAL NEW FALL ALBUM (COUNTRY ON THE CLICK) – The Fall

SOUNDS FROM THE ELECTRONIC GARDEN – Jonteknik
Opens like Everything Is Wrong-era Moby, but there’s a big Kraftwerk influence on this 2009 release. Really enjoyable.

S/T - KATE & ANNA McGARRIGLE
I loved the track they did on So It Goes circa ’76 and years later I bought this. Oops! Wrong LP!! And I wasn’t keen on it. Decided to dig it out again after watching that Transatlantic Folk session last week. Still not really my cup of tea really, but some of it’s OK. Must get round to getting the right LP sometime!

ANIMAL RIGHTS – Moby
You know, the one where the disco man went hardcore. I always think that this didn’t work, but actually there’s a few tracks I like, including the opening instrumental Now I Let It Go, which is rather lovely and most unlike most of the stuff here (though there’s another pretty one at the end). The bonus disc, Little Idiot, is lovely though.

KRAM – Moebius

POWER, CORRUPTION & LIES – New Order
Surprisingly I probably enjoyed Ultraviolence most. Still think 586 is a bit cack, mind.

THE DEVIL YOU & ME – The Notwist
Considering Neon Golden is one of my all-time top albums, I've not really given this enough listens. Good but not in that class, though as I didn’t like NG at first time may prove differently.

NIGHTLIFE – Pet Shop Boys
Late 90’s release that seemed disappointing at the time, but which has proved a real grower. I Don’t Know What You Want is one of their finest ever 45’s and the almost Village People-like New York City always puts a smile on my face.

OUTSIDE LOVE - Pink Mountaintops
Reminds me of Bill Callahan at times, and Blur on one track!

AT THE BBC – The Pixies

LEGO DUB – The Revolutionaries
...or by The Ossie All-Stars as it’s listed on the cd. It was always The Revolutionaries at the time. Whatever this is a must for any reggae fan.

11/6 12/10 – Tarwater
Only just managed to get this one, though it turns out I knew some of the stuff here. I love them. And this sounds great, too.

45’s
MY KINGDOM – Future Sound Of London
Colossal 90’s ep. A great way to spend 30 minutes of your life.

NEU SMELL EP – A Flux Of Pink Indians

BROWN PAPER BAG – Roni Size / Reprazent
Includes a great remix by Photek.

1st EP / DATE WITH THE NIGHT – Yeah Yeah Yeahs

MAKING PLANS FOR NIGEL – XTC
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 03:08
keith a wrote:
AT THE BBC – The Pixies

Awesome. The version of Is She Weird on that album is very special indeed. Total "Tune".
keith a
9572 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 12:27
Yeah, it's a good track! I remember some of those old PEEL seesions at the time, and had some of the tracks here on old c90's!!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 13:23
Gong - 2032
Well, it looks like I'm the only one who really likes this! It has been glued into the CD player since I got it, and my opinion of it hasn't changed, except to firm up my conviction that this is up there with the trilogy. The more I listen, the more I get from it. I love the little quotes from previous songs, the little hidden voices and sounds, the riffs, the playing, the lyrics, the concepts, the works.

The Human Quena Orchestra - Politics of the Irredeemable
Finally got hold of a copy of this some months after Julian mentioned it in a Drudion. I 'd listened to clips from their website, and just had to get a copy. It was worth the wait. Mindbendingly dark almost-ambient sound with a huge cacophony of percussive intrusions. My family think I'm mad listening to this*, but once you get into the swing of it it has a real stark beauty to it.

Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses
Wasn't familiar with this until I got it recently. I don't know how it was received by Tull fans when it came out, but I really like it, although I've only listened once or twice. The title track in particular stands out straight away.

*they may well be onto something.
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 16:21
The Orb - Baghdad Batteries
Ian Simmonds - Burgenland Dubs
Mary Anne Hobbs - Wild Angels
Hyperdub - 5 Years
Gong - 2032
Demdike Stare - 001
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 17:27
Greetings...

Astra - The Weirding

Asteroid - S/T

The Witch & The Robot. - On Safari

Drum n bass n dubstep mix from Mingtp - Track two is insane!

Robyn - S/T

The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath

Comus - First Utterance.

Madonna - Hard Candy

Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton

Plus a melange of techno electronica mixmag/wax/Ministry cd's from times past.

Have a nice week Graphic Equalisers. x
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 17:58
Moon Cat wrote:

Hehe, yeah that's the Original Sin remix of Ra by Ebony Dubsters and totally rocks my balls, if you'll forgive the expression. Have played it a couple of times when DJing and it goes down well and sounds brilliant through a nice pair of Mackies. I fuckin' love it. If Roni Size is, say, Bon Jovi*, that track is heads down Slayer all the way... Nasty, brutal and beautiful.

Raaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

* Dear Roni, please forgive me, it's just an analogy.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 05, 2009, 18:03
mingtp wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

Hehe, yeah that's the Original Sin remix of Ra by Ebony Dubsters and totally rocks my balls, if you'll forgive the expression. Have played it a couple of times when DJing and it goes down well and sounds brilliant through a nice pair of Mackies. I fuckin' love it. If Roni Size is, say, Bon Jovi*, that track is heads down Slayer all the way... Nasty, brutal and beautiful.

Raaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

:-)

* Dear Roni, please forgive me, it's just an analogy.

It's great. And, I mean this in the nicest possible way, it makes me laugh out loud cos it verges on the absurd! Top stuff!
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Oct 05, 2009, 19:34
Oct 05, 2009, 19:33
Squid Tempest wrote:
Gong - 2032
Well, it looks like I'm the only one who really likes this! It has been glued into the CD player since I got it, and my opinion of it hasn't changed, except to firm up my conviction that this is up there with the trilogy. The more I listen, the more I get from it. I love the little quotes from previous songs, the little hidden voices and sounds, the riffs, the playing, the lyrics, the concepts, the works.

I haven't given up on it yet Squid ! Gonna give this a serious listen tonight through headphones under optimum listening conditions. Have only given it one play with full attention so far and that was only at moderate volume though speakers, otherwise i've been checking it out in the car where obviously my mind's busy with other things !
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index