Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2009, 08:01
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27 September 2009 CE
Sep 27, 2009, 21:33
King Sunny Ade - Synchro Series and Juju Music
Fela Kuti rightly gets the critical plaudits but King Sunny Ade probably had the bigger effect on how rock guitarists approached their instrument in the 80s and on record making in general. He brought a whole different notion of guitar layering and line weaving in the studio.

I'm Not There - OST
Lots of good stuff here. Some creative clangers are dropped but there is lots of fire in the singing and creative energy in the playing. Some songs are too good to ruin. Some aren't.

Steve Earle - Townes
Not as good as the source material but this is a very good Steve Earle album in terms of the performances with absolutely great songs.

Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim
Was disappointed by this when it first came out because the ep and the radio sessions were so great and although pretty good this didn't seem to up the ante any. On reflection this is actually much better than pretty good. Not sure if I buy her "I'm a shy one, me" persona entirely but hey it's preferable to anything by her fame-chaser contemporaries.
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2009, 22:21
Sep 27, 2009, 22:21
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive
Karen Dalton - Cotton Eyed Joe
The Jacksons - Triumph
Dangermouse & Jay Z vs The Beatles - The Grey Album
Human League - Dare
Ashtray Navigations - Red Culture
Earth, Wind & Fire - I Am
Julian Cope - Black Sheep
Shalamar - Friends
Comets On Fire - Avatar
Carla Bozulich - Evangelista
Susan Alcorn - And I Await the Resurrection of the Pedal Steel Guitar
Carl Craig - Sessions
Astral Social Club - Star Guzzlers
Dangerdoom
Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come
Serpent Power - Ouribouros
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Rolling Stones - 1st album
v/a - The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of
Bobb Trimble - Iron Curtain Innocence
The Coral - 1st album
Emeralds - Solar Bridge
Max Tundra - Parallax Error Beheads You
Volcano the Bear - Volfurten
The Beatles - Past Masters
Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day
Neil Young - Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere
machineryelf
3681 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2009, 22:53
Sep 27, 2009, 22:50
Lords of the New Church-S/t,Is Nothing Sacred, Method To Our Madness - listen as the lords get slicker by the minute, I quite like the big production and the OTT ballad on MTOM is a gem imho

Gun Club-Pretty much everything-listened to all the GC i have and bar the iffy live sound every one is a stormer, still no overly keen on the sound of Mother Juno but the songs are the dogs nads. Dug out the Death Party ep which is an absolute blinder

Warrior Soul-Drugs God & the New Republic slick 90s rock, if mainstream altmetal[90s division] is your thang you'd be in your element here, otherwise avoid

Uriah Heep-Salisbury the 'eep with added orkstra bits OTT is the order of the day but such fun, how can you resist

Bowie-Diamond Dogs ,1984 and a half to avoid copy right or something, amuses me that one Bowie's non essential records still piddles from a great distance over most peoples best

Yes-Yessongs more rock than prog, like a vast & ponderous glitterball crushing caped weeds like greenslade beneath as its travels from enormodome to festival bill topper, best listened to in triple vinyl foldie box cover with added Roger Dean, both pompous and genius, pompius is now word of the minute

Mother Love Bone-S/T pre Pearl Jam, believe they were big pals with The Cult in the Sonic Temple era. If you want big dumb rock sign here, if you want anything else lets face it you're gonna be outta luck

Wonderstuff-8 legged Groove Machine remember when indie ruled the world and the Wonderstuff were the alternative, quite how frothy the mainstream was i cannot remember, probably because I wasn't listening, but I can't see that this would be causing serious debate in the 6th form common room or stirring the masses to revolt, good thing someone invented Fugazi

Grahm Parker-Vertigo best of - top tunage, should have been bigger imho, probably didn't help himself by being a grumpy old toss iirc

Creedance Clearwater Revival-Cosmos Factory not heard this, you fule, go away & buy it now, you'll thank me.

AC/DC If You Want Blood makes me grin A LOT!!! the thort of that dim geordie hoofer they have now makes me grimace A LOT!!! it's a ying/yang thing

Birthday Party Peel Sessions-it's Loose

PWEI-2 Fingers My Friend-poor old PWEI way ahead of the game, now they write soundtracks and no longer have time for us common herd, they probably do actually and bar the odd dated dance mix this is surprisingly good, got that song with the great bassline too , the title of which eludes me

Caina-Mourner post blackmetal ear burner, like the Cure if uncle bob was a norwegian satanist and sometimes felt the need to play guitar very LOUD & FAST this is a good thing IMHO

FA#50 great swathes of NE madness & mayhem, like a big box of musical quality street with disc 6 being the green triangles that no one likes, discs 1-5 are well scrummy though, but some nuts may be found within, BykerYouth Club MC competition prize giving may just be the greatest thing ever, but isn't all at the same time, the yin is fucking yanged again, circles cubed, over & out

bout time i lernt to spel i thinx
stray
stray
2057 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 23:18
machineryelf wrote:

Warrior Soul-Drugs God & the New Republic slick 90s rock, if mainstream altmetal[90s division] is your thang you'd be in your element here, otherwise avoid

I always thought their first album 'last decade dead century' was their best one, it got too slick after that. Mind you I must admit I was fond of their version of Joy Divisions 'Interzone' on 'drugs..' (IIRC, could have been on the first album).
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 23:20
zphage wrote:
Klaus Schulze La Vie Electronique I

Beatles Mono Box

Chilli Willi Bongos Over Britain

Grizzly Bear Veckatimest

UFO Official Bootleg Box Set '75-'82

Coasters tHERE'S a rIOT gOIN oN

Bongos Over Balham , YES the
Willies rule !
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Oct 04, 2009, 01:12
Sep 28, 2009, 00:09
UNPLUGGED – David Bowie
The joviality at times might be off-putting for some folk (abruptly ending The Supermen doesn’t help either!), but there’s a cracking version of Quicksand and Dead Man Walking works surprisingly well as an acoustic number.

HEATHEN FRONTIERS IN SOUND - Christophe F
There’s a couple of numbers (track one included) that I like a LOT.

INTERVIEW – Gentle Giant
My fave prog act by a country mile, and this one is a real gem. Sure they get a bit carried away and some of it could probably be described as, well, preposterous, but you never feel that GG are just wanting to show us how great their musicianship is. And unlike a lot of prog, there’s nothing sterile about this. And as daft as the opening track is at times, it is also seriously funky! (And yes, there is the ‘obligatory reggae track’!!)

WELSH CONNECTION – Man
Like GG’s Interview, this was one of my fave LP’s of 1976. Still like this one a lot, too.

TODAY IS THE WRONG SHAPE – Mugstar
A whopping big thanx to Bubblehead for this lovely package. A truly fab early birthday prezzie!

KID JENSON SESSION 1984 – The Pastels
OK, some of it’s a bit twee, but I always really liked Baby Honey which is altogether less typically indie. Not a bad version of it here either.

UP / HEAVEN SCENT – Perfect Disaster
I think PD were one of the best bands of the late 80’s. Up was considered their classic and Heaven Scent seemed slightly disappointing in comparison, Interestingly, Up isn’t sounding quite as good as I remembered but HS is sounding better. Must be my mood!

HITS – Pulp
Nice to be reminded of how many decent singles they made. The two tracks that stood out this week though were Babies with its Wild Swans-like intro and incredibly catchy riff, and the epic, quite marvellous This Is Hardcore.

RELEASE OF THE ATTACKS – V/A
Free download compilation album of d&b, ambient stuff, etc. Some good stuff here...
http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/49431

STUPID THING E.P. – Paul Quinn & the Independent Group
I’d never heard this early 90’s until recently. Unfortunately. The opening title track and the cover of The Carpenters Superstar (which I *think* pre-dated the Sonic Youth version), are both perfectly acceptable, but it’s A Passing Thought that deserves all the plaudits. Seven minutes of magic that will surely appeal to fans of Tindersticks, all topped off with THAT voice. Wonderful.

Also
HALIM – Natacha Atlas
SEVENTH TREE – Goldfrapp
FRIDAY 13TH EP – The Damned
5TH & 6TH PEEL SESSIONS – The Nightingales
JU-JU – Siouxsie & the Banshees
THE YOLKS LP – The Yolks

DVD
JOHNNY TOO BAD – John Martyn
a23
a23
1004 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 01:38
Sun Araw - Beach House

Spacemen 3- Taking drugs to...

Beatles- Yellow Submarine

Nordvargr - In oceans abandoned by life i drown

Eternal tapestry - Invisible landscape

Joy Division - Closer & live bonus cd

Clientele - bonfires on the heath

trembling blue stars - the last holy writer

Chrome - visitation

Cope - floored genius 4

Magma - Arkiv 1

Tower recordings - celestial transmissions
mingtp
mingtp
2270 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 02:35
stray wrote:
machineryelf wrote:

I always thought their first album 'last decade dead century' was their best one, it got too slick after that. Mind you I must admit I was fond of their version of Joy Divisions 'Interzone' on 'drugs..' (IIRC, could have been on the first album).

IMO their first 3 were all great - Last Decade Dead Century, Drugs God & The New Republic, Salutations from the Ghetto Nation - but lost interest after the songless pish of Chill Pill. Bloody great live in their day, mind.

Still got a real soft-spot for the cover of 24 Hours off their Hero EP.
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 04:00
Beatles compilations for my daughter's mp3 player
Studio Ghibli soundtracks compilation for my son
Stephen Duffy/The Lilac Time compilations for me
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2009, 08:26
Sep 28, 2009, 08:23
I know what you mean about Gabriel. I "did" some of Cambridge this year and wasn't too sure about Los Lobos and Booker T on that bill either. Though I guess in Gabriel's case the event is his baby so if he wants to play I expect they clear the schedule to get him in there.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index