Edited Sep 27, 2009, 09:23
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27 September 2009 CE
Sep 27, 2009, 09:16
The Entrance Band : s/t

A Place to Bury Strangers : Exploding Head

MGMT : Time to Pretend E.P.

Cymbals Eat Guitars : Why are There Mountains

One Unique Signal : Villains to a Man

Various : Russian Psych (cheers, stray!)

Various : Seeing For Miles (Uncut freebie)

The Triffids : Calenture demos (Prefer these to the over-produced album versions)

The Monkees : Anthology

The Beatles : The Beatles in Mono (copied from work rather than bought, I hasten to add) particularly "Rubber Soul", "Revolver" and "The White Album"

Various : The Psychedelic Years Revisited 1966-69

The Flaming Lips : Clouds Taste Metallic
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2009, 13:53
Sep 27, 2009, 13:48
Gong '2032' - what a disappointment. I've played this four times now and, though I liked it the first time, have cared less for it each time thereafter. Okay, so Gong had to update their sound, but in doing so they've lost every bit of the distinctiveness and danger that made records like 'You' so exciting. Ultimately, they've made a beautifully produced contemporary pop record that has no dynamism or substance. I feel really let down by this;

The Beatles 'Revolver' - the rule book for all subsequent rock and roll. 'Yellow Submarine' excepted, nigh-on perfect;

Spontaneous Music Ensemble 'Karyobin' - free jazz of such real invention that it's easy to imagine tunes amidst the gentle melee. Genuinely charming stuff, sounding as fresh as the day it was minted back in February 1968;

John Coltrane 'Coltrane' - this first Impulse! album by the classic quartet remains my favourite, even above the (somewhat overrated, I reckon) 'A Love Supreme';

Loop 'Fade Out' - sounding great in its recent expanded remaster, this is repetition turned into an art form. Love it;

I also knocked up a CD of all 23 (non-'Anthology') George Harrison songs recorded by The Beatles. It's a belting disc: try it!

Love, peace and good vibes to all

Dave
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 15:12
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Spontaneous Music Ensemble 'Karyobin' - free jazz of such real invention that it's easy to imagine tunes amidst the gentle melee. Genuinely charming stuff, sounding as fresh as the day it was minted back in February 1968;

I love that album, as you say it's chock full of hidden 'melodies' and some great twists and turns, it just flows so well. A great line-up to boot!
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2009, 18:01
Sep 27, 2009, 17:59
Recorded

Brazilian Girls 1st album again. Brill!!

Dub Colossus: 'A Town Called Addis' Possibly one of the best albums I've bought for years!! I saw them live at WOMAD in the 'summer' and ran to the merchandising stall, straight after.

Kate Bush: 'Hounds Of Love' & 'Aeriel' Nice.

Gotan Project: Live A cool double live CD, that keeps returning to the top of the pile.

Bonobo: Live EP

Cinematic Orchestra: Live At The Royal Albert Hall Class stuff.

Random tracks and bits of albums by Led Zeppelin, Zero 7, T.REX and even The Beatles.

Live

Zoey Van Goey c/w Strike The Colours
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 19:09
Well I went to a book sale at a library near where I work and found the first three Peter Gabriel albums (well they had Security also but I already heard that album and I wasn't much into it...) and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album by Genesis (of course...) I figured I'd get those even though I'm obviously not much into prog. Well already heard Two and Three -- not quite as good as I was hoping though but Three does have "Biko" (I still think that's Gabriel's best song) but stuff like "I Don't Remember" is still annoying. Am listening to Lamb now and it seems like the best of the bunch so far...

One creepy fact I found out though -- one of the sound engineers on Three was someone called Simon Sheppard, who later became a neo-nazi(!) and I now hear he's in jail for inciting racial hatred on his website... (Ironic considering the songs "Biko" and "Not One of Us"...)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 19:17
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Gong '2032' - what a disappointment. I've played this four times now and, though I liked it the first time, have cared less for it each time thereafter. Okay, so Gong had to update their sound, but in doing so they've lost every bit of the distinctiveness and danger that made records like 'You' so exciting. Ultimately, they've made a beautifully produced contemporary pop record that has no dynamism or substance. I feel really let down by this;

Gotta disagree most strongly with this. I've had it on constantly all week and find it pretty faultless, and right up there with the trilogy - way better than Shapeshifter or Zero To Infinity. As I will no doubt point out when I get around to posting my own soundtracks, I'm beginning to think this is the best thing I've heard in the last couple of decades!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 21:23
Kid Calamity wrote:
Dub Colossus: 'A Town Called Addis' Possibly one of the best albums I've bought for years!! I saw them live at WOMAD in the 'summer' and ran to the merchandising stall, straight after.

Genius record. Saw them at Dingwalls and had the exact same reaction. What else was good at Womad this year?
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 21:28
Well, I'm not sure of spellings of most of these, without spending time checking but... there was a fantastic French singer called Hindi Zara with her band. A Gotan Project side outfit called Radio Kijada... An Israli outfit called The Apples with a drummer who conducted as he played who was the dead spit of jack Black, with mad comedic facials to match... Dennis Bovel the dub producer and bassist... Oh, I dunno, just loads and loads. The weakest was probably Peter Gabriel, but hw was still quite impressive. Just wrong for this sort of event, some how.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index