Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27 September 2009 CE

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27 September 2009 CE
Sep 28, 2009, 11:16
It probably helps bring the punters in to have him on the bill as well, thus raising money for the rest of the event.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 13:29
A mixed bag, this week...

The Lucy Show- Mania
The Doors- An American Prayer
The Blue Aeroplanes- Tolerance
Neu! S/T
The Cult- Love
Wooden Shjips- Vol 1
Jesca Hoop- Hunting My Dress
The Most of Lulu
The Dukes of Stratosfear- 25 O'Clock
Mike Heron- Smiling Men with Bad Reputations

Plus last night- after Freak Zone on 6Music- Uncle Mort's North Country by Peter Tinniswood on Radio 7, which almost caused me and Lady Wolfe to choke on our tea with laughter.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2009, 14:49
Sep 28, 2009, 14:47
Gong - 2032
As mentioned in my reply to Fitter above, I've been completely blown away by this. It took me right back to the time (over 35 years ago) when I first heard the Gong trilogy, which shaped my musical development from then on. It has been bringing me little chunks of joy all week. It nearly brought tears to my eyes to hear the sound of Hillage back with them, despite the fact there are only a few flashes of his trademark sound scattered across this. I love the lyrics and sentiments expressed too - it seems such a positive record.

Muse - Resistance
If it hadn't been for Gong, this would have been on continuously! Not popular around here I know, but I love them. Follows similar themes to 2032 oddly - aliens coming to earth, standing up against the corporate powers and all the rest of it.

Sunn O)))/Boris - Altar
Got the CD of this to compliment my (badly pressed) vinyl. This is my favourite of the recent Sunn O)) output. Very very heavy in places, but with some suprisingly light touches.

David Sylvian - Manafon
Still disappointing me despite my efforts to get in about it. Can't help thinking that this is a less successful version of Blemish. And it really does sound in places like he is singing his songs seperately over the top of the impro backing, rather than listening to the accompaniment and working with it.

Tangerine Dream - Bootleg Box Set Vol 1
This week I've been hitting the Bilbao and Berlin recordings. The Berlin one is the shortest of the CDs in the box at just over half an hour, which is a shame because it is a good recording. Large parts of the Bilbao recordings are spoiled by what sounds like someone clapping out of time, which is a pity because behind that it sounds like a good set.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 15:36
Hail!

Mostly the same as last week with added...

Asteroid - S/T. Fab stoner doom mongery with Heepular organ grinding in parts. Good stuff

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

The Witch & The Robot - On Safari. Inneresting contemporary psyche folk with suprisingly rocky bits. Bits of Comus, Circulus, even Cope in the mix. I like!

KISS - Alive IV! Symphony! Bombastacular!

Marc Bolan & T-Rex. Solid Gold 3cd comp. Nice.

Have a nice week Sound Suckers x
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 16:52
GHOST - Lama Rabi Rabi/Hypnotic Underworld
First class stuff indeed, both albums are enjoyable from start to finish.

NURSE WITH WOUND - Ød Lot
Not 'technically' a NWW album as such, but a compilation featuring solo tracks by NWW 'members', the various tracks being submitted by Potter, Liles, Waldron and of course Stapleton. Very good stuff, although if there are a favourite batch of tracks on the whole, I'd say that Andrew Liles' collection of 4 tracks win hands down.

ENNIO MORRICONE - High
Recommended. Pure genius at work!

KING TUBBY - Dub Gone Crazy
Great collection of various Dubs between 1975-79

BASEMENT 5 - In Dub
I remember the music press touting this lot as 'a black version of PiL' at the time (1980). Interesting sound for sure, especially as this album had the late Martin Hannett doing the mixing duties.

NON - God & Beast
Producer Ken Thomas (PTV, Skidoo amongst others) really brings a sheen to the loops and layers going on here.

GENTLE GIANT - Aquiring The Taste
An old favourite that I periodically take out for a nostalgic test run.
I had won a GG album from the Melody Maker music paper circa 1974, after sending in a letter about a Bowie article they had run and that I wasn't at all happy about(!).
It got tagged a 'star letter' and I got sent GG's new release at the time- "The Power & The Glory", I later got a couple of other albums by them, although I prefer their pre-1976 albums.
Prog with a distinct difference to all the usual fair that was about during the 70s. A fine recording. This 1971 album has the great Tony Visconti in the production chair, whilst a young engineer was also in the studio who went by the name of Martin Rushent. ;-)

TRISTEZA - A Colores
Fantastic psychedelia from San Diego.
Excellent sounding Guitars, head circling Basslines and some nice Vibraphones here and there. One of those albums you listen to....when you can't decide what to listen to!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 17:38
Hey Squid, horses for courses and all that. I'm glad the record's giving you so much joy, and I rather envy you in that respect!

I certainly won't argue with your comment regarding the positivity of '2032', nor indeed the kick I too got from hearing Mr Hillside back in the Gong fold, meagre though his playing contribution is to the record. It's just that, for me, the pleasure subsided after the first hearing. '2032' is not an unmitigated disaster by any means, but I really miss the power and dynamism that characterises the best Gong records of yore, e.g. that staggering moment halfway through 'A Sprinkling Of Clouds' when Pierre Moerlen lets rip and the guitar comes in (never fails to set my hair on end, that), or that magical glissando passage mid-way through 'Flying Teapot', etc etc. There are no such thrills on '2032', just nice tunes and lyrics which, while pleasant enough, don't pin me to the wall like Gong at their best. I feel a little ashamed to be damning heroes such as these with such faint praise (if that), but I do feel short-changed here. Maybe I'm expecting too much from musicians in their 50's, 60's and 70's, or maybe I'll be more impressed to hear some of these songs live. Whatever, I still very much look forward to seeing the band in concert in Manchester in a couple of months' time.

If I could put my finger on one vital ingredient that doesn't make the grade here, it's the percussion. Gong need something better than four-square drumming, and that's what prevails through most of '2032'. Messrs Pyle and Moerlen, you are sorely missed: rest in peace.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 17:45
Didn't realise it was in the shopses. Looking forward to hearing it. They played a couple of new tracks at Glasto and I liked what I heard.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Edited Sep 28, 2009, 21:14
Sep 28, 2009, 20:58
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Hey Squid, horses for courses and all that. I'm glad the record's giving you so much joy, and I rather envy you in that respect!

I certainly won't argue with your comment regarding the positivity of '2032', nor indeed the kick I too got from hearing Mr Hillside back in the Gong fold, meagre though his playing contribution is to the record. It's just that, for me, the pleasure subsided after the first hearing. '2032' is not an unmitigated disaster by any means, but I really miss the power and dynamism that characterises the best Gong records of yore, e.g. that staggering moment halfway through 'A Sprinkling Of Clouds' when Pierre Moerlen lets rip and the guitar comes in (never fails to set my hair on end, that), or that magical glissando passage mid-way through 'Flying Teapot', etc etc. There are no such thrills on '2032', just nice tunes and lyrics which, while pleasant enough, don't pin me to the wall like Gong at their best. I feel a little ashamed to be damning heroes such as these with such faint praise (if that), but I do feel short-changed here. Maybe I'm expecting too much from musicians in their 50's, 60's and 70's, or maybe I'll be more impressed to hear some of these songs live. Whatever, I still very much look forward to seeing the band in concert in Manchester in a couple of months' time.

If I could put my finger on one vital ingredient that doesn't make the grade here, it's the percussion. Gong need something better than four-square drumming, and that's what prevails through most of '2032'. Messrs Pyle and Moerlen, you are sorely missed: rest in peace.

I felt kind of guilty for disagreeing with you! I always enjoy reading your "soundtracks", and you've inspired a very enjoyable trawl through certain of the Canterbury bands, so I respect your opinion. Thing is, I was really looking forward to posting my point of view on 2032, but I read yours first, and was a bit aghast! Funny how music is so subjective sometimes, isn't it?!

How does that line go?
One great family of conscious humanity!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 21:14
Fitter Stoke wrote:
I also knocked up a CD of all 23 (non-'Anthology') George Harrison songs recorded by The Beatles. It's a belting disc: try it!

What about the companion "Ringo Sings" one?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 21:47
A surprisingly Factory-free week for once (nurse, the screens!):

This week's R&B selection includes:

Bill Haley & His Comets - "See You Later Alligator"
Muddy Waters - "Forty Days & Forty Nights"
Billy Lee Riley - "Rock With Me Baby"
The Coasters - "Searchin'"
The Del-Vikings - "Come Go With Me"
Larry Williams - "Dizzy Miss Lizzy"

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited LP; "Girl From the North Country"
The Move - "I Can Hear The Grass Grow"
The Beatles - Revolver & Sgt Pepper [mono remasters]

Alvin Lucier - I Am Sitting In A Room. Experimental tapery, better dissected by Paul Morley than I can manage.

Brain Eno - Before & After Science LP. Pop-Eno post Low and Heroes.

Buzcocks - A Different Kind Of Tension [remastered DCD]. Containing some of Buzzcocks' meatiest and angstiest material, "Hollow Inside", "I Believe" being particularly doubting.

Gang of Four - Entertainment! LP; Solid Gold LP; Another Day Another Dollar mini-LP; "Second Life" 7" - preludes to the gig on Saturday.

Delta 5 - "Mind Your Own Business"/"You"/"Try" 7"s - six terrific tracks spread over the three singles. Sadly neglected (compared to, say, The Slits).

The Jam - "The Butterfly Collector" - the fact that Weller could afford to throw away one of his best ever songs on a b-side tells you a great deal about The Jam. Most people (including Weller himself these days) would kill to write a sing this good in their entire career.

Magazine - Correct Use of Soap LP; "My Mind Ain't So Open" - a few Magazine t-shirts in evidence at Go4 on Saturday. Good to see!

Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate LP, still getting to know this one, train journey to London seemed a good time to give it another listen, along with Mad Not Mad LP and "Day On The Town" (from 7) and "Primrose Hill" (from The Rise & Fall).

Harold Budd - Lovely Thunder LP.

New Model Army - Today Is A Good Day new album still getting plenty of plays.

And live - Gang of Four (HMV Forum, London). New bass player, new drummer since I last saw them, but terrific gig. Good mixed audience, plenty of young kids in attendance. Although they advertised the show as "Entertainment!" it wasn't - a few songs off the album didn't get an airing, but instead we got an excellent set list across their first three albums and three songs I didn't know, which means they're either new or off Mall (which I haven't got) or possibly Shrinkwrapped (which I haven't listened to as much as I should). Brilliant versions of "What We All Want", "Paralysed", "Damaged Goods", "Tourist", "We Live As We Dream, Alone", etc and a spot of microwave bashing/throwing, several encores, great gig!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index