Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9576 posts

Re: THERE IS NO 'NEW' Wooden Shjips LP, that's for sure
May 13, 2009, 17:28
Popel Vooje wrote:

Sister Ray and the other Rough Trade branch in Covent Garden didn't have any

Is Sister Ray definitely still going then, PV?

I knew they were in trouble, and the web page seems to have gone.

Jsu some bumph when you click on...

http://www.sisterray.co.uk/
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1710 posts

Re: The Horrors new LP
May 13, 2009, 18:07
Ian, I agree with pretty much everything you said there. And yes, to give the kids their due, the ones who are clued-up about obscure music are incredibly clued up. Again, of course, it's the power of the net- anything you want to investigate is just a click away, no need to just rely on the NME, Peel, waiting for your cool older mate to do you a tape and the prohibitively expensive import racks of your local record shop.

The under-25s in amateur bands I see often seem to be extremely proficient and wide-ranging in their influences at a young age, too. And yet... but no, it's a bigger subject for another time.
Saint Derek
Saint Derek
108 posts

May 19, 2009, 16:31
http://thequietus.com/articles/01339-the-quietus-celebrates-the-horrors-ace-primary-colours-with-an-influences-spotify-playlist
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited May 19, 2009, 17:24
May 19, 2009, 17:23
Lonesome Cowboy Bill wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Maybe a temporary glitch- I'm sure my local record shop still has the CD. I bought the vinyl and got a code to download the whole thing as MP3s- if you really can't buy it anywhere, let me know and I'll pass that on.

Yes - I suspect that what's happened is that the label didn't, or couldn't, press up enough copies to meet demand, and that there'll be another batch pressed up as soon as the costs of releasing the first pressing have been recouped. Same thing happened to Husker Du when they made "Zen Arcade" - SST only pressed 3,000 and they all sold out within a fortnight, meaning it wasn't available for several months afterwards.

I've had it on order from amazon for two weeks, and on the advice of Lonsome Cowboy Bill I'm going to try Rough Trade East as well, but if they don't come up trumps I may well take you up on your kind offer...

I know they had it on cd yesterday, not sure about the vinyl. They'll prob have the 2nd disc still going as well. Great shop. It's near to my work so I do find myself dropping by in my lunch hours, if only for a browse and to hear what they're playing in there. They do a good chocolate milkshake too.

Finally got my copy of "Dos" on Friday. Rather good, innit?
Sounds like a battle of the bands between Neu!, Loop and ... Marc Riley with the Creepers! (It's that distorted Farfisa organ ...)

Incidentally, I heard that Horrors single for the first time in the pub last over the weekend and it sounded alright.
Svejk
Svejk
32 posts

May 21, 2009, 15:43

Talking of The Horrors influences.........Rough Trade have the album as their album of the month and have a wall dedicated to it and their influences with music by the likes of Neu!, Can, Psychedelic Furs, Sonic Youth, MBV, La Dusseldorf etc etc etc. All done with little write ups of each album.

Now, if I was a teenybopping Horror head shopping in Rough Trade I'd be overjoyed to see all that on show and would no doubt delve into some of the recommended albums. I love the way that can happen.

As the man who wrote the descriptions on that very wall, it's gratifying to know that someone has taken the time to read them! Thanks very much - and yes, the hope is that Horrors fans might be persuaded into buying some Krautrock, Berlin-era Bowie or Post Punk/New Wave on the back of it. Not that I ever stop trying to get people into that stuff anyway, you understand - I don't need an excuse!
Love the Horrors album myself, by the way.
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

May 21, 2009, 16:09
Svejk wrote:

Talking of The Horrors influences.........Rough Trade have the album as their album of the month and have a wall dedicated to it and their influences with music by the likes of Neu!, Can, Psychedelic Furs, Sonic Youth, MBV, La Dusseldorf etc etc etc. All done with little write ups of each album.

Now, if I was a teenybopping Horror head shopping in Rough Trade I'd be overjoyed to see all that on show and would no doubt delve into some of the recommended albums. I love the way that can happen.

As the man who wrote the descriptions on that very wall, it's gratifying to know that someone has taken the time to read them! Thanks very much - and yes, the hope is that Horrors fans might be persuaded into buying some Krautrock, Berlin-era Bowie or Post Punk/New Wave on the back of it. Not that I ever stop trying to get people into that stuff anyway, you understand - I don't need an excuse!

It's sterling work you lot do over at Rough Trade. Love the shop, everyone's helpful, always makes a lunch hour pass by nicely. I may have spoken or bought stuff from your goodself in the past.

The wall displays and stickers on cd's have got me into some great stuff in the past and long may it continue! It's great to think that someone going in to buy the Horrors album could also come away with a La Dusseldorf album as well.
Svejk
Svejk
32 posts

May 21, 2009, 20:01
Svejk wrote:

It's sterling work you lot do over at Rough Trade. Love the shop, everyone's helpful, always makes a lunch hour pass by nicely. I may have spoken or bought stuff from your goodself in the past.

The wall displays and stickers on cd's have got me into some great stuff in the past and long may it continue! It's great to think that someone going in to buy the Horrors album could also come away with a La Dusseldorf album as well.

Well, thanks very much. I was previously sporting an Allen Ginsberg look, now more of a Howard Devoto thing going on (according to no less a man than Andrew Weatherall, a true gent), so it's quite possible I've served you in there before!
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 21, 2009, 21:27
And I thought this was about the cruddy psycho-billy-on-downers band I saw sometime in the 90s. Never heard the other band, and I'm not sure if I care -- I used to believe in Interpol but I'm worn-out on that kind of sound...
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
Lonesome Cowboy Bill
356 posts

May 22, 2009, 09:34
Svejk wrote:
Svejk wrote:

Well, thanks very much. I was previously sporting an Allen Ginsberg look, now more of a Howard Devoto thing going on (according to no less a man than Andrew Weatherall, a true gent), so it's quite possible I've served you in there before!

A-ha, the Ginsberg look! Yes, you recommended the Lindstrom album to me when it came out last year. Great album.

One thing I have to ask, does an ex member of Loop work in the shop? On your staff picks wall there was a pic of each of you from your younger days and one of them was a band shot of Loop with the long haired bearded dude circled in red.

(going a bit off track from the Horrors here)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 22, 2009, 14:35
May 22, 2009, 09:50
If it floats your ear boats then whats's the problem.

I agree. I don't know about anyone else but my point was this - just because a band is new or young or coming from a musical place we empathise with is no reason for us to turn down the old bullshit detector. It's also not going to make any of us any younger, cooler or less of the era that produced us to be uncritical of the new because it is new. There is lots of great new music out there. Some of it is strong enough to be more than the sum of its influences and some of it isn't.

As for the Horrors. I liked the album once. I liked it twice. By the third time it was all getting bit ho hum because I was thinking more about the steals and borrowings than the record itself. The songs weren't enough to take me past that but I still kind of like them. In the same way that I liked Generation X. That's all. No biggie.
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index