AOTM

Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Re: AOTM
Apr 01, 2009, 16:19
Hmmm... gi me a bit of da Ramones any day.... but kiSS Na.
8)
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 16:33
You can almost hear that fevered squeaking of delight as Moon Cat desperately fumbles to log in!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Apr 01, 2009, 18:01
Apr 01, 2009, 16:50
I'm not really a fan either, but if I'd been a smalltown American teenager in the early '70s I probably would have been - so I can dig the reasoning behind the choice even if I have no desire to listen to it.

Poor old Jools fell into into a similar-smelling vat of hot water when he made Van Halen AOTM a few years ago. Let's not have a repeat of the "he said, she said" flame wars that ensued back then.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 17:22
as unsung bands go I say JC has a point, not averse to a bit of Kiss and it's a reasonable selection, personally I would have ditched She & Parasite and put Black Diamond & their cover of Then She Kissed Me.
You should try the second half especially just to see who they were ripping off, some classic pop metal to be heard
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 17:39
Seconded.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 18:17
I dig 'em.

The thing most people miss is the, yes, IRONY of KISS.

They look like clowns from space! They're obviously having a laugh! Yet they have always angered a lot of people with their crass party anthems for some reason. Trying to read a political message into KISS is absurd.

And those first three studio albums do have a classic "boxy, flat" sound that bridges the gap between glam and metal.

My own KISS comp woulda been more tilted towards Paul songs I think . . . and not so much "Destroyer" and "Alive" . . . how about "Cold Gin", "Take Me" or "Makin' Love"? And if you are gonna focus on Gene, how can you miss the irresistable "Plaster Caster" (or "Doctor Love" or "Almost Human"?) I say gimme more Ace too -- "Shock Me" is great/ridiculous (live version especially) and also "Rocket Ride." (But "I Love It Loud", you gotta be kidding!)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 18:41
Dog 3000 wrote:
Trying to read a political message into KISS is absurd.

Trying to read a political message into the music maybe absurd, but in real life Simmons is a self-confessed diehard non-smoking non-drinking pro-war Republican who thinks drug dealers should be executed. Rock'n'Roll!

Possibly not quite in the same league of obnoxiousness as Nugent or Hagar, but not far off.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 18:54
hah , i love it, listen to it, challenge yourself, kiss are one band sure to get me dancing every single time, if you know anything about Julians taste you will absolutely understand why he likes them so much, and as for dorian being a bad influence - thats probably why he loves the woman ;)
Mr Crowley
Mr Crowley
184 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 19:18
Kiss are poo
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 19:35
Popel Vooje wrote:

Trying to read a political message into the music maybe absurd, but in real life Simmons is a self-confessed diehard non-smoking non-drinking pro-war Republican who thinks drug dealers should be executed. Rock'n'Roll!

But does that have anything to do with KISS records? In that context, Gene is a long-tongued fire breathing demon with bass-shaped boner.

His out-of-makeup public image is probably also somewhat fictional. He seems to enjoy being seen as a jerk -- works pretty hard at it! Would it be more rocknroll if he was seen as a tree-hugging democrat? Or wouldn't that undercut the hedonistic individualism that is central to the "KISS brand image" even more? ;-)

He's a "barbarian" anyway, right? Thinkins fer squares, it's stompy boot time!
Pages: 18 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index