21 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Yoko Ono: Yay Or NaY?
Jan 12, 2009, 23:59
Dog 3000 wrote:

In short -- Yay! for Yoko when she cuts loose and screams! I've never been able to stomach her "pop songs" however (such as the "Double Fantasy" LP.) I've never understood record companies' bizarre plan to try and turn her into a "pop star" when her real contributions have always been "avant-garde." Though I suppose a lot of that is her own fault (she must actually want to be a "pop star.")

I think I'd respect her more these days if she'd do less "lennon legacy" stuff and more "yoko art stuff." Last time I saw her on TV she was pimping that Beatles musical in Las Vegas, etc.

I assume (my severe eccentricity revealed) that like Bob Dylan, Johnny Depp and others, she's operating under a severe corporate death-threat if she doesn't generate x amount of $$ per however often... It explains the Victoria's Secret ad (Bob), the Pirate movies (Depp) and also justifies my friend Matty Muscles' statement that Starbucks killed Kurt Cobain. Oh, Matty said Starbucks killed Johnny Cash, that's right, and I extrapolated. Some of the inconsistency in product is explained by a balance struck between what the audience actually will buy (as understood by the artist) and what the corporation thinks it can sell (pop songs, pirate movies, underwear)

Unsung Forum Index