21 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Yoko Ono: Yay Or NaY?
Jan 12, 2009, 19:29
singingringingtree wrote:
1st yoko plastic ono band LP, "fly", side 2 of "live peace" + "life w/ the lions"

That's pretty much the indispensibles -- only side 1 of "Lions" though (the screamo feedback side!)

I've listened to side 2 of "Live Peace Toronto" quite a bit recently. "Don't Worry Kyoko" is mung from the same cloth as the Stooges "Funhouse!" The Lennon side is mostly worthless (out-of-tune oldies.) Everything on the LP can be seen in the film "Sweet Toronto" (Lennon's set makes more sense in context -- it was an oldies festival headlined by Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, etc. -- but the highlight is Yoko "doing her thing all over you"; she's wearing a headband which makes her look like "an indian" which also sort of adds some context to her howling I think. There's a certain type of native american singing style that's very similar to what she does.)

In short -- Yay! for Yoko when she cuts loose and screams! I've never been able to stomach her "pop songs" however (such as the "Double Fantasy" LP.) I've never understood record companies' bizarre plan to try and turn her into a "pop star" when her real contributions have always been "avant-garde." Though I suppose a lot of that is her own fault (she must actually want to be a "pop star.")

I think I'd respect her more these days if she'd do less "lennon legacy" stuff and more "yoko art stuff." Last time I saw her on TV she was pimping that Beatles musical in Las Vegas, etc.

(Her performance art stuff before she got into music was also remarkably good -- the famous "cut piece" isn't much when you read about it, but if you've seen a film of her actually doing it it's quite powerful. Her art was always about "challenging the audience" which is again why I don't get the whole concept of "Yoko the pop singer" -- Yoko crooning love songs makes as much sense as Beyonce howling over a mess of feedback!)

Unsung Forum Index