Your gig of the year

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Your gig of the year
Dec 12, 2008, 02:55
Dog 3000 wrote:
Killdozer reunion (even if they were better when I saw them in '93 -- I even got to hang out with Michael Gerald backstage afterwards! Shannen Selberg from the Cows/Heroine Sheiks was hanging around too, how surreal . . . )

Also (in no particular order):

Black Angels

Black Mountain

Steve Malkmus & the Jicks

Monotonix

(I see a lot of shows)

Everybody tells me how great Monotonix are live but what I've heard of them remind me too much of the White Stripes...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 12, 2008, 04:31
The whole thing with Monotonix is that they never play "on stage" . . . instead they literally play "on the audience"!

Their guitar-drums-vocals thing makes perfect sense in concert (drummer being held aloft by crowd as guitarist and singer run around the floor like maniacs, rubbing their nearly-naked hairy sweaty bodies on everyone) -- but on record it's not really all that interesting (they do pretty much sound like a sloppier, more metal White Stripes.)
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 12, 2008, 04:36
Black Angels ought to be a happening -- hope they have their full light show!
common era
865 posts

Edited Dec 12, 2008, 09:54
Dec 12, 2008, 09:53
OK, so I am hugely biased as well as not getting out much, but it would have to be Julian Cope at the Liverpool Academy in September, although if we take the 'gig as event' point of view, then it has to be Mr. Cope's Latitude Festival spectacular in July.

I did also enjoy Gravetemple at Supersonic.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Dec 12, 2008, 12:04
I do love these threads, it can a good way to hear of more obscure bands.

Seth Lakeman at the St Ives Festival in September was pretty astounding. His ballad about the Penlee Lifeboat disaster, 'Solomon Browne' was very emotional.

If Rachel Unthank and the Winterset hadn't cancelled their two Cornish gigs this year, I'm sure they'd make this list. I'll have to wait until next June...
Kid Calamity
9047 posts

Dec 12, 2008, 13:55
You're a new name to me, but I see you've already clocked up thirteen posts somewhere. You a Modern Antiquarian?

I saw Seth Lakeman a few years ago at a festival. I like him.
keith a
9573 posts

Dec 12, 2008, 17:31
Not a gig per se, but Julian in Mathew Street, Liverpool was the best thing I saw all year by a country mile.
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Dec 12, 2008, 20:48
Neil Young - Hop Farm (July)

Primal Scream - Cardiff Uni (November) definitely one of the best I've witnessed in 34 years of gig going

Hawkwind last weekend weren't too shabby. However it's been slim pickings for me this year.
Incoming Traveller
Incoming Traveller
218 posts

Dec 14, 2008, 21:18
KC: I used to lurk/post here a few years ago, but have only just got some 'net access back again. I am very into the modern antiquarian thing, tho' perhaps it's difficult not to be around here!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Dec 14, 2008, 23:04
Easy - Steve Winwood at The Sage, Gateshead this autumn. He was phenomenal, covering every stage of his illustrious career with a quiet charisma, energy and awesome musicianship that belied his six decades of age. His band was incredible too. Go see him when you can.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index