Your gig of the year

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Re: Your gig of the year
Dec 15, 2008, 00:24
Just thinking about it - I have only been to two gigs this year - both Porcupine Tree - The Forum around Feb/March and at the Indigo Rooms, at the 02 in November both class.

Joolio
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Dec 15, 2008, 10:33
Incoming Traveller wrote:

If Rachel Unthank and the Winterset hadn't cancelled their two Cornish gigs this year, I'm sure they'd make this list. I'll have to wait until next June...

Sorry to hear that Incoming - about the cancellations, it makes next June even more worth waiting for tho'.
I saw Winterset on Friday and they were astounding. The new girl (Steph?) has added something, playing less notes than Belinda but with more musicality and drama. Niopha made the violin sound like Northumbrian pipes, and those Unthank sisters, their voices so different but combining so beautifully. Spine shivering time, runs my gig of the year a close second.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2008, 13:43
Dec 16, 2008, 13:38
I'd agree with you that the Wooden Shjips/Heads gig was the one this year. That was a real ear-opener (and eye-opener with that amazing light show) for me. Cheers for the thumbs-up for the King Dice gig too! I agree with you on the sad cancellations this year too, but would add the rescheduled Triclops gig in London which I would have loved to have gone to, but circumstances prevented me.

Although strictly-speaking it wasn't a gig I would like to add Monkey-Journey To The West at the Royal Opera House, which was a real event and the only thing I saw this year that actually bought tears to my eyes with its sheer beauty and managed to bring out my inner-child (maaaan!). Oh, and Stockhausen Day at The Proms was a gas, especially 'Cosmic Pulses', which was mind-blowing. And the Scott Walker thing at The Barbican deserves a nod for the noble attempt to redefine what a gig can be.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Dec 16, 2008, 14:27
Um..I'm not sure that I went to a gig this year. Jesus.

x
landells
landells
680 posts

Dec 16, 2008, 23:24
Just make a few up - everyone else has - I have it on high authority that Lord Lucan wasn't even at the King Dice gig - here, I'll show you how it's done:

For me the best gig was either Marvin Gaye at the Apollo Theatre in Glasgow or Otis Redding at The Rainbow in London or the Ramones at CBGBs in Noo Yawk

You see, it's easy and how will anyone know that I'm talking bollocks?!?

Go on, give it a whurl
landells
landells
680 posts

Dec 16, 2008, 23:30
The Mission at the Shep Bush Empire
I never liked them when they were in their prime and I still can't listen to their records cos they sound like a right bunch of 80s goth twats but they were fantastic live - a geniune surprise & a true joy

Notable mentions to;
New Model Army at Sin City in Swansea (and no doubt the Astoria)
New York Alcoholic Anxiety Attack at the Bridge House in London
Mercury Rev at the Academy in Oxford

and I didn't make any of them up... honest
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Edited Dec 18, 2008, 00:45
Dec 18, 2008, 00:25
Just remembered another one...

Dave Phillips/G*Park at the Colour Out Of Space Festival in Brighton. There were lots of amazing things to hear at this festival, but these two were a true experience. They played in total darkness, an extreme stereo collage of disturbing recordings of animals, creaking doors, disembodied voices etc. played at full volume. Disorientating, intense and compelling. Limpe Fuchs was great too. She left some cold, but for me it trod just on the right side of the line between ridiculousness and great art. This festival also warrants a mention of another sadly cancelled gig: Neil Campbell. Shame.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Dec 18, 2008, 10:29
Ohhh,I get it.

Hazi Fantazi at The O2
Bros at The Furnace in Swindon
U2 at Beautiful Days

;o)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7719 posts

Dec 18, 2008, 10:37
The Teardrop Explodes at The Roundhouse last February was pretty good.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Dec 18, 2008, 10:52
Yeah, that was pretty good. Jimi Hendrix at The Red Lion Godalming just about pipped it though, if only because Jim Morrison and Elvis were in the audience.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index