Your gig of the year

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re: Your gig of the year
Dec 11, 2008, 18:05
The Sonic World Festival - Lumb Farm, Ripley, Derbyshire - A fantastic weekend all round.

The Bevis Frond, Nick Nicely, The Left Outsides - The Luminaire, Kilburn High Road.
Top notch evening from beginning to end.

Neil Young - Hammersmith Odeon - Can't really add a deal to what's been said already, other than, the grumpy old bugger has still got it!

The Damned - The Venue, Derby - What can i say? Other than they get better and better every time i see them, and they keep on releasing fantastic albums.
I go and see em in Sheffield tomorrow night, so you may as well add that to the list too.
Apparently in Narbeth the other night, Nik Turner joined em onstage for about 6 numbers, including a storming version of Master Of The Universe.
Here's hoping for tomorrow!
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited Dec 11, 2008, 18:18
Dec 11, 2008, 18:17
Seeing Jimmy Carl Black *choke* play the drums for the only time in June on King Kong with the Muffin men at a Pub in Leeds Yorkshire, whilst sitting next to the guitarist of Nine Days Wonder, who thought that I would never have heard of his Krautrock band, let alone have his Hipgnosis designed LP.

The Nick Nicely band at the Luminaire - I now have a recording of the gig
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Dec 11, 2008, 18:39
Any chance of a copy, of the Nick Nicely set please Deepinder?
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Dec 11, 2008, 18:52
riotmaster wrote:

half the fun of a gig to me now is going somewhere new. i went to New York for AC/DC on my own cos no fucker else could be bothered. and great it was too

I saw Van Halen at Madison Square Garden back in May and part of the appeal was seeing the Big Apple. I was jet lagged, so I woke up at 4am on the sunday morning and went for a 10 mile hike around Manhattan on my own as NYC woke up. Quite a profound experience, in its own little way.

'Halen were great - Ed was sober and played like he was actually into it (I hear bands raise their game for the 'Garden). My gig of the year, followed by Ministry and Martin Carthy.
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Dec 11, 2008, 20:28
MBV - Roundhouse

er, the only gig I went to this year
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Dec 11, 2008, 21:09
paradox wrote:
Any chance of a copy, of the Nick Nicely set please Deepinder?

Yea OK, once I know how to burn a disc.

Please send me an email with your address
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 11, 2008, 21:14
Dec 11, 2008, 21:14
Killdozer reunion (even if they were better when I saw them in '93 -- I even got to hang out with Michael Gerald backstage afterwards! Shannen Selberg from the Cows/Heroine Sheiks was hanging around too, how surreal . . . )

Also (in no particular order):

Black Angels

Black Mountain

Steve Malkmus & the Jicks

Monotonix

(I see a lot of shows)
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Dec 11, 2008, 21:20
Cheers Deepinder!

Have sent my details.
goosebal
goosebal
256 posts

Dec 11, 2008, 21:50
A year packed with (costly) gigs.

Two outstanding ones were (both on shrooms which will have a massive influence)...

MBV - Roundhouse, 3 consecutive nights

Primal Scream - Last week at Hammersmith Apollo (The visuals were effing mental and Kevin Shields turned up for 6 or so songs)
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 12, 2008, 02:52
Either Usurper with Sticky Foster or Sunburned Hand of the Man (which I decided to take a chance on the second time around as I wasn't turned on by them the first time....)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index