Quo

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Valve
Valve
1736 posts

Re: Quo
Oct 13, 2008, 18:05
Glad you've mentioned Roll Over lay Down. My Quo years are represented by the trilogy of Dog of Two Head, Piledriver and Hello and I now count Roll Over Lay Down as their finest three and a half minutes or whatever it is. The tightness of that riff is magnificent. I dont buy the moronic or uncool tags. They had such power and excitement in their wrists - the recent revelation that they wanked together as well as played together didnt come as a total surprise.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2008, 18:12
Oct 13, 2008, 18:10
It's actually not the worst of the last 30 years (some of the collaborations and covers albums would take care of that), but it's a current example of how little they care.
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 18:15
Yep.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 18:15
If Quo were ever cool (and that's as subjective a descriptor as I can think of), they aren't now.

The moronic reference is a little unfair and I only used it because it jumped out of metronomic.

How about simple, unfussy or basic?
Rockabilly
Rockabilly
206 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 18:24
Vybik Jon wrote:
It is horrible isn't it?

They were on at Guilfest a few years back and I wandered along out of curiosity as the last time I'd seen them would have been The End Of The Road gig (oh! the irony!) at Milton Keynes in 1984.

There was a Pavlovian twitch as Caroline started up, but was all horribly anaemic. It was a real zombie situation.

I was there for that went the other side of the site ASAP.
Watched a lot of unsigned bands instead.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 18:32
Sorry i am late, one's man's Quo, is another man's Top:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLJsm8ohOg
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2008, 19:40
Oct 13, 2008, 19:37
Vybik Jon wrote:
If Quo were ever cool (and that's as subjective a descriptor as I can think of), they aren't now.

The moronic reference is a little unfair and I only used it because it jumped out of metronomic.

How about simple, unfussy or basic?

I think the music press gave them a brief nod of approval around the time of "Rain" but they were never cool. It is a long time a go but I seem to remember the Sabs having the same problem i.e. the idea that their music was for idiots and hooligans where the Sutherland Brothers or Deaf School or Sadista Sisters were apparently the bees knees and the dogs wotsits of sophistication.

There was IIRC a cross section of kids for whom Quo, SAHB, Rory Gallagher and the Sabs were somehow connected on a rock with no frills level. Thin Lizzy would have joined that later on. That may have just been a London thing or maybe that's just the graffiti on the back of someone's denim waistcoat I am remembering!

What next, the long awaited Steve Gibbons v George Hatcher thread perhaps? ;-)
vince
vince
1628 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 19:42
Quo were killed off by two things: John Coughlan bailing & punk rock.
booga
booga
129 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 20:08
This is a link to the actual live version of Paper Plane from the previously linked footage with the overdubbed studio version. I think it simultaneously demonstrates that Status Quo sounded and looked the absolute bollocks, but were dragged down by being entirely clueless. Listen to the announcing words from Rossi. Promotion of that kind is the last thing I'd be bigging up on.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VljhSCmL3UM
common era
865 posts

Oct 13, 2008, 21:21
Oh, John, I really wish you hadn't done that.

Punk didn't kill Quo. They were dead before that. Money was what killed Quo, their last great album probably being Quo, or maybe On The Level.

Right, we have to readdress the balance. John, I have a copy of the dvd that this clip is from waiting to be passed into your hands. The quality is better than I thought and the performance is raw and very much alive. Will get it you asap:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BgUSP5LZAuQ
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index