Unsung Forum »
Quo

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
unleasHell
112 posts

Re: Quo
Oct 16, 2008, 03:52
Saw Status Quo open-up for Rory Gallagher back in 1974, one of the best gigs ever have ever been to!

as bad as the video/song might be, I would take it over any Rap song...
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Oct 16, 2008, 07:39
not seen the vid jon, but i agree.

they were the jukebox staple (stable. nah' that reads worse) alongside Freebird back in the late seventies when i used to knock about in biker boozers as a kid.

Caroline is great, i've got it on my mp3 on my phone along with roll over lay down, rockin' all over the world was kinda taken from the rockers in the eighties thanks to live aid, just like the BBC taking Lou Reeds 'Perfect Day' in the nineties (shit man, that was the song i danced with the missus at my wedding to) and Will Young soddomised 'Light My Fire' (one of me least favourite Doors tracks anyway, but fucking sacrilege non the less)

anyway, yeah', i went to Hammy 'o' several times to see 'em and saw 'em twice on their farewell tour (supported by Nazareth) and WHAT HAS HAPPENED?

'The Search For The Missing Chord' indeed.

saddens me really to see it cos in this time of band re-unions and super tours from old bands re-forming there'd definitely have been a place for Quo filling the odd shed around Britain and Europe, but they're a joke really now aren't they?

right, off to work .
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 16, 2008, 07:58
I saw them at Hammy Odeon too in the mid 70s and they were utterly brilliant prompting a long trek to Cardiff that summer to see them with Budgie and Hawkwind.

There are few bands who have fucked their own legend so comprehensively but from their point of view I guess all that post Live Aid exposure as a cabaret boogie act made their fortune. So they wont be complaining but I bet Coughlan and Lancaster aren't best pleased.

25 years since Lancaster got ousted and there are still people asking "who the **** is John Edwards?"
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Oct 16, 2008, 18:28
they were great back then weren't they? still victims of the fashion police though weren't they?

i was on the balcony in the odeon and i was banging and going mental with everyone else when i stopped for a breather halfway through one of the songs. the balcony was bouncing under my feet, really bouncing up and down. enough to make me think that this wasn't the safest place to be in the building, then i thought of the poor muppets directly beneath me under all that concrete and steel being tested almost to destruction...and just carried on. fuck em eh? x

and why is it that Nazareth never refer to 'may the sunshine bright' in interviews or anything cos that song was the best thing they wrote by far. whadda chorus and whadda fucking verse, man whadda fucking great 'eavy summer number !
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 16, 2008, 23:07
Oct 16, 2008, 23:02
Shelby Mustang wrote:
they were great back then weren't they? still victims of the fashion police though weren't they?

i was on the balcony in the odeon and i was banging and going mental with everyone else when i stopped for a breather halfway through one of the songs. the balcony was bouncing under my feet, really bouncing up and down. enough to make me think that this wasn't the safest place to be in the building, then i thought of the poor muppets directly beneath me under all that concrete and steel being tested almost to destruction...and just carried on. fuck em eh? x

and why is it that Nazareth never refer to 'may the sunshine bright' in interviews or anything cos that song was the best thing they wrote by far. whadda chorus and whadda fucking verse, man whadda fucking great 'eavy summer number !

I was in the back row of the circle for that one and yes it really did feel that the whole place was coming down around our ears. Funnily enough about 30 years later I took my daughter to see Green Day at Hammy Odeon and once again we were in the back row and I had that same sinking feeling all over again as the balcony bounced under our feet. You don't get that at the fucking O2!

At school I hated Queen and Wishbine Ash with that horrible clean double tracked guitar sound and prissy drumming so Quo, Hawkwind, Heep and the Sabs were the natural escape route from all that. They were the anti Queen who really were shit at being a hard rock band but with a really great hard rock lead singer.
marinade
marinade
306 posts

Oct 16, 2008, 23:42
The best thing they did was a fantastic freakbeat stomper called I Don't Want You (A cover of The Anteeeks) which was only recorded, pre-Status Quo as The Traffic Jam, as part of a BBC session.

There's a sample of it, oddly enough, on this ringtone site:
http://www.thetones360.com/browse/status-quo/i-dont-want-you-traffic-jam-bbc-saturday-club-session/
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Oct 17, 2008, 00:05
i dunno. i'm going to stiick my neck out here and say that mercury was overated. he had like a trained west end singer voice but with a rock edge. i hated the way he'd sing things like 'everbadeh' for everybody, to bring more power to the vocal delivery. the same with heavy use of the letters EE sung hard together are a good strong team for hoding a hard line and sustaining it with vibrato. that guy from the band from the late eighties Thunder, he does that too and it gets on my tits, it's such a disciplined way to get the high notes over and over strong. just a bit too contrived if yiou ask me.

where's their ragged edge? you never saw mercuries on stage.

so he was a no go really, not even in the league of real rock singers who hang onto their notes only just but are always attempting to find that note between notes that'll scratch that shitkicking itch

george michael stept into freds shoes vocally and look how trained (west end-ified) his voice is. no real heartfelt stuff as far as i'm concerned.

sorry fred.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Oct 17, 2008, 00:20
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9XcvAzcF0qE&feature=related

indeed this is what i liked best from what i took a gander at.
Mrs Ahab
Mrs Ahab
1138 posts

Edited Oct 17, 2008, 00:29
Oct 17, 2008, 00:28
nah, whipe that,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_8iQaE_tKDM&feature=related

nothing better
zphage
zphage
3378 posts