Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Re: Bass. How hard can it be ?
Aug 13, 2008, 11:16
vince wrote:
And there should never, ever be more than four strings on a bass.

More than that = wanker.

As beautifully illustrated here!!!

http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/awaken3neck.jpg
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 11:44
Ron Carter made some great solo albums in the 70's for the CTI label. 'Yellow and Green' and 'Pastels' are two good uns. Backed by Fender Rhodes and drums, these albums are easy listening and show that bass solos can work without sounding like the artist is trying to ingratiate his technique on the listener. That is the difference between great jazz musicians and good rock musicians playing jazz - jazz musicians don't have to try too hard whereas rock musos don't sound natural and end up sounding like they're trying too hard - bit like Soft Machine 4 and 5.

8)
vince
vince
1628 posts

Edited Aug 13, 2008, 15:24
Re: Bass solos that don't suck
Aug 13, 2008, 15:24
Jim Tones wrote:
IanB wrote:
What is it about the English that they are so suspicious of technique? Whether it is centre halves, painters, bass players or opening batsmen. God forbid you should be seen to be ... y'know .... make an effort at developing your craft.

I say 'the British' in general are like that, whether it's technique, skill or success.....

....as far as music is concerned, I'd say there's nothing wrong with people improving or developing their 'craft', the problem was/is the snobbish and pious muso attitude, thankfully blown to bits in the mid and late seventies, although this muso attitude still rears it's ugly head from time to time.

This was/is a double edged sword though, as you now get (for want of a better word) 'non-musicians' who, if there is a trace of melody or technique or a celebration of past musical styles in the media, they damn everything that isn't atonal or noise and as you say, it's an attitude writ large (whichever side it falls), that is perculiar to the British Isles

It's just an island full of jealous fuckers whichever way you look at it !!

Couldn't have put it better myself. Simply, we're suspicious of anyone guilty of quasi-rectal fretwank.
LMan
LMan
763 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 16:09
Vybik Jon wrote:
That's a lie!

Hmmmm....

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=xVFJrOlwdkw

:-P
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 13, 2008, 16:50
Aug 13, 2008, 16:49
Five wrote:
IanB wrote:
. Not being able to play and choosing to play simple are two very different things.

I agree for sure! And I can also generally appreciate both, though a middle way is usually my preference.

Ever hear the story about Miles Davis (allegedly) playing a recording for some high-society types of a bunch of kids playing around with musical instruments, telling them first that it was his new album? They LOVED it, assuming that if the Miles had recorded it, then it must be the THANG! (I have heard the same story told about other folks, though, so who knows what there is to it...)

Also comes to mind the recordings made in various asylums which (supposedly - I haven't heard them myself) resemble pre-commercial tribal music of various kinds

Myself, it's always a struggle between technique and theory being more of a guide than I really want them to be on the one hand, and being capable of doing what I want to do (on the other)... Could probably write a small book about that

That's a small book I would read.

Some of the best musical fun I have had in recent years was at a Japanese art exhibit at the Hayward three or four years back where one of the artists had a big rug laid out with instruments all over it and visitors were encouraged to just pick up whatever they fancied and join in the improv.

With the beneift of hindsight I now assume that he was taping / fliming the whole thing but playing music with a moving pool of non musicians and non English speakers topped most of the formal musical improv "happenings" that I have been involved in. Was just as satisfying as playing behind Damo. Though no less stressful in the early stages where you are feeling around for some common ground.

Playing a melodica trio with a couple of Japanese tourists was something I'd love to have on tape. They were beautiful players. Like a pair of ultra intuitive mini-skirted Don Cherrys.
Five
Five
960 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 19:23
IanB wrote:

Some of the best musical fun I have had in recent years was at a Japanese art exhibit at the Hayward three or four years back where one of the artists had a big rug laid out with instruments all over it and visitors were encouraged to just pick up whatever they fancied and join in the improv.

With the beneift of hindsight I now assume that he was taping / fliming the whole thing but playing music with a moving pool of non musicians and non English speakers topped most of the formal musical improv "happenings" that I have been involved in. Was just as satisfying as playing behind Damo. Though no less stressful in the early stages where you are feeling around for some common ground.

Playing a melodica trio with a couple of Japanese tourists was something I'd love to have on tape. They were beautiful players. Like a pair of ultra intuitive mini-skirted Don Cherrys.

WOW, that sounds great!
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: Bass solos that don't suck
Aug 13, 2008, 19:33
IanB wrote:
What is it about the English that they are so suspicious of technique? Whether it is centre halves, painters, bass players or opening batsmen. God forbid you should be seen to be ... y'know .... make an effort at developing your craft.

There's definitely a school of technical suspicion in America as well, though maybe not omnipresent. I have to fight it a bit from time to time as I have been playing for about 28 years (since I was four or five years old) and curiosity has inevitably taught me some things, but there's the occasional person that takes some kind of offense and says, well, you're one of those TECHNICAL guys (I'm really, really not!) ...

What the hell, it's all music! And I do know people who take the technique to a point where it kills the content, but others (or the same people at other times) who really use their advanced ability wonderfully! Also folks who can pick up anything and bang around on it and make a lot of noise that sounds great (others who can't, somehow) and also some that can string together a mess of effects and make beautiful digital abstractions but couldn't pick out a tune or beat out a rhythm to save their lives. Such a wonderful continuum it is!

I have only ever known one person who, despite all his striving for a sustained period of years, never really advanced more than slightly on his chosen instruments. He still plays, and still loves to do it, so more power to him! Wonderful heart, that man. I'm sure there's some less-mainstream avenue of musical expression that would come to him more naturally, but evidently he hasn't run into it yet.

Which, if I may continue to rave, reminds me of another point: I teach guitar from time to time, and there have been a number of students who naturally played in 7/4 or whatnot, who really really wanted to play "normal" music and it took a lot of beating their heads against the wall to straighten themselves out enough to do it! This always strikes me as very sad - if you naturally, genetically, do something different that many people work their whole lives to master, why try so hard to beat it out of yourself? Sort of a mass-cultural perspective domination I guess.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 20:01
I do love my 5 string, it gives me the funk and the thunder to cut thru.

however, when i come back to my four string there is is an ease and a snap that is elating.

I don't care much for soling. i love the riff, the anchor and the propulsion that is only possible with bass.

and oh yeah i can make you dance.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 13, 2008, 20:18
Aug 13, 2008, 20:17
It was!

The Japanese contemporary art exhibition was called "Facts Of Life" and was actually as long ago as 2001 (that's memory for you!). The composer who set up this gallery based improv was called Makoto Namura. Loved his vibe.

Talking of which I am still really enjoying the improvs on your MySpace pages. Shame you aren't a bit nearer west London. We could do with a few more people around here doing what you are doing.
Five
Five
960 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 20:44
IanB wrote:

Talking of which I am still really enjoying the improvs on your MySpace pages.

Likewise and thanks!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index