Bass. How hard can it be ?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

The Brown Note!
Aug 12, 2008, 20:47
I swear Geezer tune his E string down to C# on some songs!
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 12, 2008, 21:35
Re: Bass solos that don't suck
Aug 12, 2008, 21:33
I'm not generally a big fan of bass solos but John Cale's at the end of "Waiting For the Man " springs to mind because you can tell he's straining at the leash and wants to start improvising but the track fades out before we hear the full result ... classy exercise in self-restraint by thre band and/or the producer! There are some good ones littered throughout Miles' Davis discography too.

And speaking of records that would fall apart if there was no bass . could you imagine what would be left of "There's a Riot Going On"? Not that it has any solos as such, just that the bass is the solar plexus that all the other instruments seem to orbit around. Which leads me to ... Lee Perry's "Arkology" box or either of the Trojan Dub Boxes. For tectatonic-plate shifting subsonic physicality you can't beat late 60s /early 70s dubplates cranked up through a pumping outdoor sound system. To my ears that's the genre where the bass stands out as the predominant instrument more than any other.
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: The Brown Note!
Aug 12, 2008, 21:34
Dog 3000 wrote:
I swear Geezer tune his E string down to C# on some songs!

My pal Donovan does the same thing, in fact his whole band does it! HEAVY. I like to play lead over them sometimes in standard tuning, way up high on the neck... Awesome study in contrasts, as it's just me and the cymbals way up there. Their guitar player once told me I was the best singer they'd ever played with - mind you, I've never sung with them, only played guitar.
Five
Five
960 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 21:35
Popel Vooje wrote:
could you imagine what would be left of "There's a Riot Going On. Not that it has any solos as such, just that the bass is the solar plexus that all the other instruments seem to orbit around. Which leads me to ... Lee Perry's "Arkology" box or either of the Trojan Dub Boxes. For tectatonic-plate shifting subsonic physicality you can't beat late 60s /early 70s dubplates cranked up through a pumping outdoor sound system.

Hells yeah!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 22:23
Five wrote:
Popel Vooje wrote:
could you imagine what would be left of "There's a Riot Going On. Not that it has any solos as such, just that the bass is the solar plexus that all the other instruments seem to orbit around. Which leads me to ... Lee Perry's "Arkology" box or either of the Trojan Dub Boxes. For tectatonic-plate shifting subsonic physicality you can't beat late 60s /early 70s dubplates cranked up through a pumping outdoor sound system.

Hells yeah!

Yeah i find Channel One productions have the heaviest bass.
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Re: Bass. How hard can it be ?
Aug 12, 2008, 22:38
vince wrote:
And there should never, ever be more than four strings on a bass.

More than that = wanker.

truth

amen to that
vince
vince
1628 posts

Re: Bass. How hard can it be ?
Aug 12, 2008, 23:06
Five wrote:
vince wrote:
And there should never, ever be more than four strings on a bass.

More than that = wanker.

Aw, c'mon... You can't reach the Brown Note without that low B! Guess you could always tune down...

Now you're talking.

Adding strings is just the bass equivalent to those erectile growth stimulants.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 13, 2008, 07:46
Inded - my record player could never handle them without skipping constantly so thank f*** for CD re-issues.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Edited Aug 13, 2008, 08:24
Oh thanks Vybik
Aug 13, 2008, 08:24
Make your bloody mind up.

Now what am I going to do with these Shakatak albums you asked me to copy for you? Tsk.

x
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Aug 13, 2008, 09:58
Aug 13, 2008, 09:35
IanB wrote:
What is it about the English that they are so suspicious of technique? Whether it is centre halves, painters, bass players or opening batsmen. God forbid you should be seen to be ... y'know .... make an effort at developing your craft.

I say 'the British' in general are like that, whether it's technique, skill or success.....

....as far as music is concerned, I'd say there's nothing wrong with people improving or developing their 'craft', the problem was/is the snobbish and pious muso attitude, thankfully blown to bits in the mid and late seventies, although this muso attitude still rears it's ugly head from time to time.

This was/is a double edged sword though, as you now get (for want of a better word) 'non-musicians' who, if there is a trace of melody or technique or a celebration of past musical styles in the media, they damn everything that isn't atonal or noise and as you say, it's an attitude writ large (whichever side it falls), that is perculiar to the British Isles

It's just an island full of jealous fuckers whichever way you look at it !!

>8-]
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index