Vybik Jon wrote:
Bloody jazz!

Jizz-Fusion !! =8-[]
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Bass. How hard can it be ?
Aug 12, 2008, 14:31
Unfortunately, bassists are seen in a less than way. Don't want to learn six strings, four has to be easier. Just play the root and 5th.

great bassists are time masters dividing and adding rests, 32nds, 16ths, 8ths, etc, eqaulizing values for what is played, not played.

Motown's single most important act was standardizing the rhythm section. They showed the power of a tight rhythm section, no garage band lurching, all British invasion bands learned this lesson thru covers and showband experience.
vince
vince
1628 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 16:39
zphage wrote:
Unfortunately, bassists are seen in a less than way. Don't want to learn six strings, four has to be easier. Just play the root and 5th.

great bassists are time masters dividing and adding rests, 32nds, 16ths, 8ths, etc, eqaulizing values for what is played, not played.

Motown's single most important act was standardizing the rhythm section. They showed the power of a tight rhythm section, no garage band lurching, all British invasion bands learned this lesson thru covers and showband experience.

Indeed. James Jameson was a god.

It's not about how good a bass player is...it's more about the bigger picture and how the bass works with everything else. That's why there's nowt better that a tight, f-off rhythm section. And the Motown house section is/was the zenith.
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 16:49
I want to get an EB3 as well and then I can swap between them when a 'bigger' bass is required and they'll look pretty much exactly the same...
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 17:00
I suspect that the real difficulty probably lies more with either pitching headlong forwards or putting your back out while trying to reach the strings ... what with having to wear it so that it hangs a little below your knees and all.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 17:03
zphage wrote:

Berry Gordy famously applied "quality control" techniques he learned in the auto industry to the record biz. And that's sort of my beef with Motown -- their records had a slick, somewhat assembly line feel to them (especially the Supremes and Four Tops.)

As opposed to the Memphis Stax/Volt crews who played with more "barbecue sauce" or something (Booker T. & the MG's with Donald Dunn on bass.) Though I'm sure that the Memphis gang was influenced by the Detroit label, if for no other reason than they had a very successful formula for making hits.

Similar situations in New Orleans and Muscle Shoals . . . and then there was the James Brown organization, another little fiefdom all it's own in the soul community.

Back to the bass playing angle: most important thing a bassist can do is mesh well with the drummer -- what kind of licks you can or can't play by yourself is sort of irrelevant. Bass probably gets less respect than the other instruments because it's more of a "supportive" role, negotiating between the melodic instruments (guitar, keyboard, horns) and rhythm (da drum, which is the MOST important instrument in rock-type music.) Nice bass melodies without the rhythmic aspect doesn't really work, but you can get away with minimal melody as long as the groove is in the pocket (see dub reggae style.)
rojo
rojo
433 posts

U love it U slags
Aug 12, 2008, 17:33
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eMzXtizKcXY
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

back at ya!
Aug 12, 2008, 18:07
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWb-aCWR8U
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 18:19
Shut your head! My plap bass solos are legendary in their cosmic magnificence - people are agog and awestruck at my squadji pawed abilites. Speshly when I drink a pint and eat cake at the same time.

Level 42?
Shovel Farty Poo more like. Plap bass is where it's at
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Re: have some
Aug 12, 2008, 18:31
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=qL8oykhqii8
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index