Re: Bass. How hard can it be ?
Aug 12, 2008, 10:06
Tell that to Suzi!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Aug 12, 2008, 10:49
Aug 12, 2008, 10:49
Lots of instruments are initially 'easy' in that if you have a rudimentary sense of rhythm and melody you can probably get a tune out of it and think 'Hey, this is a piece of piss'. But it's a long way from picking out 'chopsticks' on a piano to playing say, classical music. Similarly the bass is as easy or as difficult as you make it - like you can be Sid (most single cell organisms upwards could probably manage 'Sid') or you can be Stanley Clarke or Geddy Lee or something. Eventually.

Tis good fun though.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 11:00
Suzi Q is more of a man than me or you! (but confusingly sexy too!)=;o0
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 12, 2008, 11:55
Aug 12, 2008, 11:13
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
There's a lot to be said for the happy accidents that come with approaching an instrument with no preconceptions but at some point you have to learn to play the damn thing so that you can get the ideas in your head out into the open and, if you are dealing in conventional western harmony, you might as well learn something about that too. If only so you know which rules you want to break and why.

It's the great failing of English rock and roll since 1976 (and why we turn out so many one record wonders) that people confuse absence of facility on an instrument with some kind of noble and naive primitivism. Not being able to play and choosing to play simple are two very different things.

I don't think you don't need to learn music formally to "get the ideas in your head out into the open". I've never learned to read music, or anything formal about harmony or melody. Instead (coming up via the punk/reggae route originally), I learned to sort of play by ear*. It works for me, although, admittedly, I'm not sure how many people would call me a good bass player!

*Actually I play with my fingers.

Well you know you don't need to be able to read music (I can't) but given how much music is based on modes and scales knowing what's what in that department is bloody useful. It's mathematical, somewhat geometric for anyone playing a stringed instrument and a bit arcane at times but it's the root of pretty much everything.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 11:47
Absolutely!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 11:49
If it is ever proved that you have undertaken a bass solo, you will be dragged out and beaten to death.

Bass Solo's - Just Say No!

Other than that, bass away.

x
eyeshakingking
eyeshakingking
379 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 11:50
trying playing a 2 hour gig with a Wal n your back, then you'll see how tough it is! :)
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Edited Aug 12, 2008, 11:51
Aug 12, 2008, 11:50
yeah i got one of them and they r ace!
8o)
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Edited Aug 12, 2008, 11:53
Aug 12, 2008, 11:52
whatever you do and however good you get dont ever model yerself on Mark King of Level 42. Do you understand me?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Aug 12, 2008, 11:57
Quite.

See penalties for bass solo's above.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index