The Clash. The Best band ever ?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 30, 2008, 11:49
Re: The Clash. The Best band ever ?
Jul 30, 2008, 11:48
Indeed - agreed on almost all points there. As you say, no Velvets - no krautrock - therefore no Velvets, no Kraftwerk. That might seem like a tenuous conection, but even a cursory listen to Kraftwerk's debut LP makes their debt to the V.U's more avant-garde improvisational tendancies obvious.

Without Kraftwerk - no 80s, full stop. Also no Detroit techno, no trance, no Aphex Twin, no Orbital. Hip-hop would probably still have existed, but would have been all the poorer for Kraftwerk's non-existence. So you could even argue that the Velvets inadvertanly founded rave!

Also , no Velvets - no Plastic People of the Universe. No Plastic People, no Velvet revolution in Czechslovakia? That's probably not true, but Vaclav Havel's love for the VU obviously lent its name to the whole shebang in the first place, and their music (along with that pof Zappa, the Fugs, and Captain Beefheart) was an important catalyst.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Jul 30, 2008, 11:52
Morning, Pope!

Well done for taking it a step further with the techno via Kraftwerk link- that's pretty much every musical form that matters covered then, isn't it?

And I forgot to mention Mo Tucker as well as Nico for breaking down female stereotypes in rock.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Edited Jul 30, 2008, 12:26
Jul 30, 2008, 12:26
Aha!

If you're tallking about female stereotypes being broken down in rock

Mo Tucker and Nico step aside

From Ilford's finest.....

Honey Lantree of the Honeycombs in 1964!!!!!

http://hillingdon.tripod.com/images/Honey%20Lantree%20sml.jpg
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

Jul 30, 2008, 12:59
elegant chaos wrote:
Aha!

If you're tallking about female stereotypes being broken down in rock

Mo Tucker and Nico step aside

From Ilford's finest.....

Honey Lantree of the Honeycombs in 1964!!!!!

http://hillingdon.tripod.com/images/Honey%20Lantree%20sml.jpg

Lets not forget wendy O williams she was a true punk icon and a amazing woman in here own right pity how she died tragic really.
tinky10675
tinky10675
209 posts

Jul 30, 2008, 13:00
sorry bout the misspell it's early! Wendy R.I.P
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Edited Jul 30, 2008, 13:05
Jul 30, 2008, 13:04
I was talking chronologically - Wendy came after Nico and Mo.....Honey came before.....
Penske666
161 posts

Jul 30, 2008, 13:28
I both love them and Hate them - brilliant singles/annoying albums (except first one of course - one of my fave albums of all time)
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Edited Jul 30, 2008, 13:55
Jul 30, 2008, 13:52
***Warning: This post contains shameless name-dropping.***

Well said, Mr Wolfe! All roads for me seem to lead back to VU too. And The Clash always struck me as overly earnest and worthy in the same way that the Manic Street Preachers do now. They never did it for me. Though I kept all of that to myself when I noticed Paul Simenon was sitting in the seat in front of me at The Royal Opera House last week. Wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of that towering fella.
oxford stu
oxford stu
402 posts

Jul 30, 2008, 13:53
afternoon all
Having just watched 'Amazing journey' on the tele can i put in a claim for The Who. Some of the best songs, both pop (I can see for miles, anyway anyhow...) and Rock (won't get fooled again, magic bus) and has there ever been a band of such characters? A lunatic self-destructive drummer who has more legends associated with him than almost anyone else, a paranoid genius as songwriter who also plays a mean guitar, a violent thug for a singer and the best bassist ever.

best wishes
stu
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jul 30, 2008, 15:08
Never quite saw what others seemed to see in 'em to be honest. I do like a few tunes all right. But there's many more bands I'd listen to of an evening.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index